A tragic demise for St Cuthbert (spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by nunya fukinbiz, Jun 17, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. nunya fukinbiz

nunya fukinbiz Member

So, I spank up on Hedrack and co and wait for Iuz. When Iuz shows up I beat him down to just a few HP and wait for Cuthbert. In the round St. Cuthbert show up, Iuz takes one more jab at me and Scather jabs back leaving me with an Iuz throw rug and a bored looking Cuthbert.

I've figured out a way for one character to go toe to toe with Cuthbert, win and not even loose a single HP. And all you need is one arrow, Scather (or if you are a thieving bastard, Fragarach), one spell and a pack of chewing gum.

1) While the entire party is standing a few feet out of Cuthbert's strike zone, send a chaotic good 'volunteer' :blink: wielding one of the above swords up next to St Cuthbert. (if you know it, I highly recommend whistling the theme song from 'Peter and the Wolf' at this point)

2) Cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on brave would-be god killer :flamed:

3) Fire one arrow (or whatever ranged weapon you have handy :poke: ) at Cuthbert from one of the onlooking party members to get the ball rolling

4) :chew: Have the party chew the gum while St. Cuthbert whacks away at the invulnerable char wielding Scather. If no gum is available, have rest of part amuse themselves for 3 rounds :jerkin: :poop: :drunk:

Scather smacks back at each of St C's ineffective hits and does ~40 points of damage to him. Since Cuthbert does about 18 hits per round (even a fair thumb wrestling match would kill you with that many hits!) Cuthbert receives about 500-800 points of damage per round. Three rounds of gum chewing later and you have one dead god lying at your feet. :dead:

I personally get a kick out of wearing Iuz's and Cuthbert's boots for the rest of the game. I am a very small man.

NF

PS. This is a variation of how I handle early encounters with giants as well. I use the cleric spell Sanctuary and pelt giant from a distance with missile weapons.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  2. Ki Rin Ryu

Ki Rin Ryu Member

:paper: :blink: :clap: :paper:

3. MB

MB Member

:clap: Everybody wants to tell whats already been told, everybody wants to sell whats already been sold, but that my friend is genius....sheer genius....say do you happen to own a mansion and a yacht?

4. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

Damn, the AI is really... stupid. Heh.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm surprised Scather answering like that doesn't cause a lock-up like with the Balor etc.

Good thinking though :clap:

6. nunya fukinbiz

nunya fukinbiz Member

Unfortunately, I think this is an exploit and should probably be fixed. I was able to kill him a couple other ways (step out of attack range, hit him with Ray of Enfeeblement, repeat about 6 times then step in with a Stoneskin spell). I just thought the strongest warrior in the game impaling himself 18 time per round without dealing a single point of damage was humorous. To have more trouble with your average goblin than with a god just hit me as funny.

If the Resilient Sphere was working properly, I don't think a monster could target the character inside much less receive damage from something inside the sphere.

Maybe one of the modders could fix it.

NF

7. Scorched_Earth

Scorched_Earth Established Member

If my dwarven cleric of St.Cuthbert, kills St.Cuthbert, does he lose all his spells?

8. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

No, but his beard will fall out... and trust me, there's no worse fate for a dwarf! :giggle:

9. harper

harper Member

*kneeling and praising*
    Great ! Simple as every ingenious thing ...

just a question - was something about it in the ending movie ???
    (it would be nice to see something like:
    gods are slain and its your turn to take their place...
    forever... or at least til you meet the same fate... )

10. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

There is a little bit about Iuz, "Iuz now fears you" or something like that.

11. harper

harper Member

oooooooh ... the poor little boy is scared .... :D :D :D :cool:

Our Host!