Synergy Question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by darkfae, Oct 2, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. darkfae

darkfae Member

First, I would like to commend and thank all of you for taking the time and effort to fix up this game.

I am not a coder. I'm just a gamer and I know the 3.5 rules fairly well. I keep running into things that are missing or incorrect, rules-wise, in the game.

Stuff like:

Vermin poison that does Strength Damage. It should only knock you to 0, not beyond, and at this point your character is paralyzed. The game will continue poisoning a character into the negatives which seems excessive and as far as I can see, is not in the rules.

My big gripe:

Synergy! Where are the skill synergies? I built my characters with such things in mind and these bonii are absent. For example, there should be an extra +2 to Tumble for having 5 natural ranks in Jump. I think racial bonii might be absent as well; I don't recall getting an extra +4 for my Halfling to his Hide skill.

If these are actually coded into the game and I've missed them, please, someone smack me and point it out to me. Thank you.

2. Xma

Xma Member

1) As Jump isn't implemented (why would it be ?), you can't put points in it and so no synergy possible there....

2) I think +4 hide for halfling is there (check misc bonus).

3. darkfae

darkfae Member

Ah, I was using the Jump thing as an example. My bad. It was the first thing that came to mind.

Here is one that is straight out of the game:

5 natural ranks in Bluff should give you a +2 synergy to Diplomacy. It is not in the game. My rogue has 7 ranks in Bluff so he should have that synergy. Looking at his sheet, there is the 7 natural ranks of Diplomacy, then a mod of +4 for his charisma... and that is it.

As for the +4 Hide for Halflings, it is not there. I just checked. My halfling has 7 ranks in Hide, +5 mod for his dexterity, and that is all. It is a total of 12 when it should be a total of 16.

However, there IS a +2 to Listen, which is a racial bonus for halflings.

So, are these oversights? Bugs?

4. undule

undule Member

Perhaps they are not so much oversights as much as they are a measured decision to avoid unnecessary clutter - which is to say, a design success.

I, for one, am glad Troika sidestepped much of what makes AD&D such an adventure for paper-shufflers.

5. darkfae

darkfae Member

I see.

It begs the question as to why they would bother to print them in the manual, then (p. 70).

In any case, leaving in many penalties while leaving out several bonuses doesn't seem like much of a 'design success' to me.

6. Xma

Xma Member

Darkfae > we're gonna take a look at those then...dunno yet if we'll be able to fix those though...

Our Host!