Insane criticals bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Libri, Jul 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Libri

Libri Member

Has anyone had this one happen? Playing with my new group, the 5 Bards of Doom, everything hunky dory until moathouse. I was astounded that during Barbarian battle, almost all my hits were criticals. Dropped everyone except the archer with one blow, and the Barbarian who was slept and then CDGed.

Chortling over how easy this was, proceeded down stairs, skipped the ogre and took on the gnolls. Wonder of wonders, I'm still doing mostly crits. Took a couple back, but mostly dealt damage (primarily due to multiple AOOs from DEX 18 longspear wielding character with the bonus AOO feat). At this point I thought it odd, but had seen some wierd things from the Mersenne before, so passed it off.

Went into the Lareth guards fight, and all hell broke loose. EVERYBODY was doing crits, and given the numbers I'm facing the party went down quickly. Before my last guy died, I looked at the roll history, and all became clear. The engine was checking to confirm crits on EVERY swing (not just HIT). I got a crit on the seargeant with a modified To Hit roll of 7.

Reloaded my only save game (right before Barbarian fight) 3 times, and every time it's the same story. Makes for some VERY short fights, one way or the other. Anybody know what causes this, and how to fix it? I'd really hate to restart and do all the Hommlet quests again.

2. ACE4490

ACE4490 Member

do ya really want to fix it

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

I got the idea that everyone was hitting hard, not just the PCs.

4. Libri

Libri Member

That's right. It didn't hurt me too much in the Barbarian & gnoll fights, cuz I got in the first licks and had some good AOOs. But the Lareth fight was just a nightmare. With EVERYBODY doing mega criticals the advantage belongs to the side with the most numbers, which ain't the PCs.

5. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

Zip the savegame and upload it somewhere. I'll take a look at it. Besides, maybe someone else will interested to try such game, sounds fun :)

Our Host!