Cormyr - new module development [video]

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, Mar 10, 2020.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

I intend to finish this map at least. Afterwords it will depend one real-life circumstances.

There are quite a few issues in the game. For example on video you could see Lightning Bolt execution by enemy NPC - Banelar. And there are issues:
    1) Particle "sp-Lightning Bolt" does not exist. Which is odd. Perhaps someone know about it?
    2) "cast single" in T+ ignores Rays. @Sitra Achara, is it intentional, by design or a bug? (LegacySpellSystem::GetSpellTargets, line 2602)
    3) "cast area" will not work, as it relies on toee.exe::sub_100BA540 which does not know how to deal with the Bolt.
    4) "cast party" would just pick every PC (I hope with has LOS), not taking into consideration the line of Bolt.

Now I'm trying to fix it in the Spell275 - Lightning Bolt.py. And Python is pain for debugging...

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Heh, you're right - I only see lightning-bolt-hit. Personally I never use lightning bolt, even though it was a regular when I played Pool of Radiance et al (but those enemies lined up so nicely). ToEE seems to favour fireball.

Have you tried 'cast Fireball'? That is deisgned to maximise enemy targets.

Looks awesome btw!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    anatoliy likes this.
  3. anatoliy

4. anatoliy

Apparently, Lightning Bolt is hardcoded into the Game via game.pfx_lightning_bolt(), which does that fancy effect. "sp-Lightning Bolt-hit" is simply effect on hit.

The sea hag mesh I used for Banelar does not work with pfx_lightning_bolt. I think due to missing animation. But Crone works! Changed to it...

I spoke to @Allyx, who helped me figure out. Thank you Allyx!!

sirchet likes this.
  5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A few points I want to raise about the video content above:
    1) the Banelor doesn't seem to be provoking attacks of opportunity when casting.
    2) there's no mention of casting defensively in the rolls window.
    3) the stat block says it "casts as a free action when attacking" not that it can cast twice per round - so it should get 1 spell and it's physical attacks each round.
    4) there is the option to paint the water section in Worldbuilder so that walking on sections of water causes the model's height to drop, water to ripple and sploshing sounds when you move around.

Otherwise, it's looking very good mate, keep up the good work.

anatoliy likes this.
  6. anatoliy

Thank you very much for your insight @Allyx !!!

1) AI cast spells defencively automatically, and you cannot disable it. It is hard-coded.
    2) It works such way - even if "Cast Defensively" is enabled, T+ will additionally check if there is at least one melee threat, and only then the roll would take place.
    3) Re-working. Thanks!!
    4) Will re-do, thanks!

sirchet likes this.
  7. anatoliy

All of @Allyx issues have been addressed, and more!

Last commit:
    Code:
    * added proto Lesser Knell Beetle as standalone monster;
    * updated proto Shadowscale Marauder;
    * added proto Shadowscale Warchief;
    * added Wands (all) with udpated charges to 50 (from 20) as in DMG;
    * added const_proto_wads.py with all wands constants;
    * added cormyr_config.cfg for testing purpose;
    * added Banelar chest;
    * added Chief chest;
    * fixed Spell275 - Lightning Bolt.py, missing reference to sys namespace;
    * fixed Spell432 - Shout.py, now it will end spell no matter what;

So w3, w5, w6, w8 and w10 encounters are completed. Started working on w11. After that - test, polish and finish the map :)

Allyx likes this.
  8. anatoliy

The Shadwoscale Warren map is not completed and deployed to master. It is quite raw and needs testing. But essentially 99% is done now.

The module requires new TemplePlus version, which is still in development.

9. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

@Sitra Achara How long until we get the newest Temple+ released so we can play play play with it it?

10. anatoliy

Cormyr project consists of such maps:

1. Cormyr City

2. Temple of Mystra Level 1

3. Temple of Mystra Level 2

4. Vast Swamp

5. Lost Refuge

6. Shadowscale Warren (Completed)

7. Monastery of Ebon Dome

8. Black Rift

So you can see @Endarire how many maps still to do. The Shadowscale Warren took a month to complete.

Most likely other maps would go much faster. As I learned a lot about development. But still I think around few weeks on one map would take.

You may ask why I started from the middle. And that is because I was preparing for real world game with my friends. Unfortunately it stopped due to this stupid virus.

Anyways, another issue is starting level. The book says it should be level 4. My team started from level 3, as they were 5 of them and wanted a challenge.

I plan to create a tiny map Crossroads, where a Player could go from the Shop Map. There would be a Wizard who would have dialog option Level Up, plus cache grant to accommodate required level. Also a Merchant to provide a number of high level equipment.

Another option would be, as @Allyx suggested when I called him last week, a starting maps from level 1.

That is nice idea, but it would take even more time to make.

Now yesterday I decided to bring tiny module A Dark and Stormy Knight just to show you some playable demo.

It has 5 encounters, level 1 requirement, and will not require new T+ release.

I think it will be ready in the following week.

11. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I don't know Endarire. I don't have any time for modding these days, especially now with this coronavirus crap. I asked @_doug_ to take things over, so there's that. Worst case, anatoliy has full permission to fork T+ and create a standalone release.

anatoliy likes this.
  12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

For clarity's sake, my suggestion was to have a dialogue box pop open at the start of play offering the available module options for your party's average character level, at the end of the module, the dialogue box would then allow you to choose the next module, etc...

So you could start with one short level 1 to 3 adventure, then progress to a higher level adventure. You could also add more low level adventures to add choice to which module you want to play at each level. So eventually, there may be 4 or more 1st level adventures to choose from, and when that is done, 4 or more 4th to 7th level adventures etc...

anatoliy likes this.
  13. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

I'll see what I can do as far as getting the next version out relatively soon goes. It definitely needs some beta testing (and maybe fixes) before release.

anatoliy likes this.
  14. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Thankee!

15. anatoliy

Released v1.0 A Dark and Stormy Knight. It is included into the Cormyr.

Installation:
    1) Download https://github.com/anatoliy-savchak/ToEE.Cormyr
    2) Backup:
    modules\ToEE\art\ground\ground.mes
    modules\ToEE\rules\MapList.mes
    3) Copy over the files into game folder.
    4) T+ only.

Technical Requirements:
    Current T+ version should suffice. Some new features are used (tactic: python action, game.make_new_name) but it can be ignored just fine.

Play requirements:
    This tiny level-1 module is almost one-to-one from "A Dark and Stormy Knight", which can be found in pdf easily.
    It will take max 1 hour to complete all encounters.

_doug_, florian1, Allyx and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!