Windows X, I've tried everything I can think of...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by AndyX, Oct 28, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. AndyX

AndyX Member

Hello all, I played this great game with the Co8 mod back in 2010 and it was amazing. Fast forward 9 years later and I've purchased the game from ebay and am itching to play it again. I've done everything I've read to do with no luck, the game won't even start up at all, it crashes immediately upon start up. I have both the gog versions and the disc and get the same results.

Is there a youtube video or a step by step walkthrough (written as if trying to explain to a 7 year old lol) that you'd recommend? I've googled, searched youtube and these forums to no avail.

Sincerely,
    About To Dropkick My PC in Florida

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Dare I ask, is this the vanilla game or with the Co8 mod installed?

3. AndyX

AndyX Member

I’ve tried both with no luck. I’m 100% sure it’s something I’m doing wrong. I’ve uninstalled it and am ready to start with a blank slate.

4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

5. Shiningted

NO. Do NOT tell someone who can't get the vanilla game working that any mod is going to fix it.

Has anyone else had problems getting the standard game going that they can offer advice? The only thing I can think of is 'run as administrator' which, boring though it is, does make a difference in some versions of Windows that I have seen.

FDR4PREZ likes this.
  6. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

Do not install the game to the default folder (I think it's something like programs(x98)or something like that). give it it's own Dir

7. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I remember something about the video that plays when you the load the game (which explains the historical background of the setting), that setting to play or not play could make a difference. At least one time I had to use that to make my installation work. Changing the setting for that is in Front END X I believe. I am not sure if that is any kind of issue anymore.

8. Shiningted

Yeah, those are both good ideas and I remember people mentioning in the past they helped with finicky installs. Thanks lads :)

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

You should also check to make sure your antivirus and firewall have not blocked ToEE.exe and/or Temple.dll (some AV software reports these as Trojans, they aren't but they are essential to make the game run.

10. adrian5000

adrian5000 Member

what about installing a virtual winXP machine?

Our Host!