Character ideas

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Jun 28, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

Hi everyone. Its been a long while, but I'm starting up a new game.

I've gone through a lot of the stereotypical characters, with swords and long spears. Elven mages, ect.

Looking for an interesting character build.

Thanks.

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I use two multi-class elven Ranger/Fighters in my party to combine skills and Weapon Specialization (in Longbow, of course). They form a pretty solid base of fire, and keep the random encounters at a safer distance.

3. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

I like to give a human or half-elven sorcerer a level of barbarian first. when combined with Expeditious retreat or hast you have a lot of mobility while still casting spells

Templar likes this.
  4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Human Cleric of Fharlangh (Travel & Luck domains) who also channels negative energy.

5. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

"The all naturals" is one of my favourite theme parties. A Ranger a Druid and a Barbarian.
    Ranger with long bow and quick draw abilitiy, can change to melee any time. Druid does area damage spells and boosts melee character. I like his natural companion as well. It's an additional melee character if you boost the animal with the proper spells: wizard armour ( I hire the wizard from the bar just to let him scribe this spell about 20 times then let him go), natural armour, bark skin, fang and greater fang.
    Barbarian: no explanation necessary "Me go"

6. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I sometimes play a solo PC, without recruiting NPCs. The goal is to dip into various classes to create a PC that can handle most situations. I look for lots of skills (especially stealth). Level 1 is almost always a Rogue. High saving throws (Monk and Paladin are good sources, as are some other classes that get two good save progressions), spellcasting and crafting, decent combat skills, and various class abilities that will make the PC more effective and versatile. Ideally a high AC without armor if Wizard or Sorcerer is part of the mix (Monk helps that), and eventually armor that doesn't impede Arcane spellcasting. Many possible builds.

7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Sir Bob and his entourage:
    Paladin
    His/Her Confessor (Cleric)
    Herald (Bard)
    Advisor on matters arcane
    Squire or Man at Arms (Fighter)

The thieves guild: everyone has a level or two of Rogue; Cleric of Olidammara; Arcane Trickster wannabe. Perhaps set the alignment requirement for Assassins to 'off' to give yourself some thievery-relevant spells later in the game.

Basing the core of the party on a literary group can help with 'personality': Warhammer's Felix and Gotrek (Bard & Dwarven Barbarian), Fafhrd and Grey Mouser. Recruit 'extras' as you go but try to imagine the main characters running the show. Replicating the whole Fellowship of the Ring or Dragonlance might get a bit tiresome, though.

florian1 likes this.
  8. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

One more: the main character is originally from Hommlet, and after a brief adventure in the outside world has returned home to marry Melany/ Fruella, and gets the old gang back together to investigate what is going on at the Ol' Moat House.

florian1 and Templar like this.
  9. Endarire

Male Human Rogue and 7 recruitable NPCs.

A party of 8 Druids + their animal companions.

10. Templar

Templar Established Member

Thanks everyone for all the creative character builds. I'm going to pick a few tonight, I'm eager to try them out!

11. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

This wouldn't work anyway, there is a mininum of 3 PC's in the party.

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Even in Temple+?

(Even if there is, it wouldn't be that hard to send a couple deadweight characters on a suicide run in Emridy Meadows or somewhere...)

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Don't know if Temple+ removes this restriction, it could, but I didn't try it.

14. Endarire

T+ removed the minimum character count. I've played 1 PC games.

15. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

With 7 NPCs?

As far as I recall there's a Logbook related crash issue when you have more than 5 NPCs that isn't fixed, so it's still capped at that.

Our Host!