The Keep on the Borderlands game guide & walkthrough - comments by Endarire

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Endarire, May 30, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Forenotes
    This information was obtained via Temple+ 1.0.73 and Keep on the Borderlands 1.0.1 with no other mods active.

ARCANE WIZARD SCROLLS AND CERTAIN OTHER SCROLLS OBTAINABLE
    Pre-Game Shop - Scrolls Chest
    -(Level 1) Burning Hands

-(Level 1) Cause Fear

-(Level 1) Charm Person

-(Level 1) Chill Touch

-(Level 1) Color Spray

-(Level 1) Detect Secret Doors

-(Level 1) Detect Undead

-(Level 1) Endure Elements

-(Level 1) Enlarge Person

-(Level 1) Expeditious Retreat

-(Level 1) grease: Functions as a proper grease spell if learned and prepared. Uncertain if it works properly cast directly from the item.

-(Level 1) Grease

-(Level 1) Identify

-(Level 1) Mage Armor

-(Level 1) Magic Missile

-(Level 1) Magic Weapon

-(Level 1) Obscuring Mist: This scroll was bugged for me, costing 28 times that of a normal level 1 spell scroll! (However, if scribed or used directly, the scroll seemingly worked as normal.) I call bug!

-(Level 1) Protection from Evil

-(Level 1) Protection from Good

-(Level 1) Protection from Law

-(Level 1) Ray of Enfeeblement

-(Level 1) Reduce Person

-(Level 1) Ray of Clumsiness: This was listed out of alphabetical order.

-(Level 1) Shield

-(Level 1) Shocking Grasp

-(Level 1) Sleep

-(Level 1) Summon Monster I

-(Level 1) True Strike

The Pre-Game Scrolls Chest also has these unscribable scrolls

-(Level 0) Cure Minor Wounds x4: Divine

-(Level 0) Daze: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Detect Magic: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Disrupt Undead: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Flare: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Guidance: Divine

-(Level 0) Inflict Minor Wounds: Divine

-(Level 0) Open/Close: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Ray of Frost: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Read Magic: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Resistance: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Virtue: Divine

-(Level 0) Acid Splash: This item was listed at the very end, out of alphabetical order.

-(Level 1) Cure Light Wounds x4: Divine

-(Level 1) Bane: Divine

-(Level 1) Bless: Divine

-(Level 1) Bless Water: Divine

-(Level 1) Charm Animal: Divine

-(Level 1) Curse Water: Divine

-(Level 1) Detect Chaos: Divine

-(Level 1) Detect Evil: Divine

-(Level 1) Detect Good: Divine

-(Level 1) Detect Law: Divine

-(Level 1) Doom: Divine

-(Level 1) Inflict Light Wounds: Divine

-(Level 1) Magic Fang: Divine

-(Level 1) Summon Nature's Ally I

Keep Vendors (Market Place) - Geoffrey [initially called Scribe]

-(Level 1) Cause Fear

-(Level 1) Protection from Chaos

-(Level 2) Fog Cloud

-(Level 2) Melf's Acid Arrow

Keep Vendors (Market Place) - Ricario [initially called Apothecary]

-(Level 1) protection from evil - Not capitalized for some reason. It's really a scroll of protection from good. If used as a scroll, it casts protection from good. According to Ted, this is intentional.

However, a second test put a true protection from evil scroll in his inventory for some reason. Hmm.

-(Level 1) Ray of Clumsiness

Ricario also has these unscribable scrolls
    -(Level 0) Daze: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 0) Guidance: Divine

-(Level 0) Ray of Frost: All Wizards who can cast it start the game with it.

-(Level 1) Bless: Divine

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  2. Endarire

(Due to community requests, this thread will act as a separate yet complimentary guide to Keep on the Borderlands for Temple of Elemental Evil.)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ahhh, dude, I don't even know where to start with this....

Look, firstly, may I reiterate, I am glad you are enjoying the mod. Great to see someone is playing it after all our efforts (I don't doubt that there are other people playing, but it's nice to get feedback). Anyway, firstly, if you want to make game guides and playthroughs of the mod with Temple+ installed, please post them on the Temple+ forum which is elsewhere on the Sorcerer's Place servers. (I think you leave here and head straight down). Posting your experiences playing with Temple+ on the Co8 forum is just going to confuse anyone who is not using it and who will be wondering why you are getting things they are not.

Secondly, I posted the below in response to a previous request of yours on this page:
    I really have to wonder if you read this, since so much of your current posting is about Temple+ being made alchemy-friendly. Are these issues addressed? Maybe they are, I have no idea, but that's something you should be getting to the bottom of before calling for others to be adding Alchemy as a skill to this or that class, or making game guides that encourage people to use things that may not even work.

Thirdly, I tihnk you should play the game a few times - perhaps as each different alignment (KotB only allows 3) - and really get the hang of it. If you're scratching your head about why things are spelt differently for Ricario and why they cast the opposite spell than they should, then you haven't figured him out and may not quite get the 'spirit' of the game. It's kind of like complaining that the 'murky' potions in Baldur's Gate don't work properly and wondering why no one has fixed it...
    Ricario is a fraud, and half his stuff doesn't work or backfires because he is just not much of an alchemist, or wizard, or anything other than a charlatan with rudimentary training. The different spelling allows the more experienced players to dodge the bad stuff, or alternately, use it and then confront him. Being aware of his dodgy items plays a part in the latter stages of the Billy plotline.
    Now for some good news - you can alweays add a new modifier to Temple+, the alchemical bonus, and fix everything yourself. From my cursory glancing at Temple+ many years ago it seems to be set up to do just this. Best of all, once you mod that sort of stuff in, you can bend it to your will. So if you want everyone in Temple+ to have Alchemy as a class skill, mod it yourself and no one can gainsay you.

4. Endarire

Greetings, Ted! Thankee for your reply. I'm unsure if this is the thread for it, but we'll roll with it.

Maybe it's because I've been around ToEE, modding and fan content for decades, but I wasn't sure if the misspelled/mislabeled scrolls were intentional. (I've accidentally done things with ToEE modding to access things players normally should never find.)

However, the scrolls list is meant to be useful to players in general. Wizards are the only class in core D&D (though not the only in D&D's entirety) that need to 'find' their class features (spells).

Thankee for the reply.

5. Shiningted

My pleasure. You take feedback better than me.

If you want to stick to purely cataloguing the scrolls in the game, by all means just do that and I will add it to Gazra's Guide (assuming he doesn't say otherwise). Stick to that and post your Temple+ stuff for the Temple+ guys and everyone wins. And thanks for doing that, I recognise a lot of players find that valuable.

6. Endarire

This thread's original primary purpose was to catalog KotB scrolls, primarily Wizard scrolls. since Gazra seemingly never finished his intent with that. He has some mentions of the scrolls elsewhere in his guide, but I'd prefer to have the information condensed.

I mentioned KotB 1.0.1 and Temple+ 1.0.73 so others can understand how I obtained the scroll information which may change based on T+, a KotB update, or otherwise.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'd suggest you just make an "Endarire's Guide ..."

Gazra last stated he doesn't want community posts in his thread, and he communicated to me privately in the past that he wants unilateral control of it. I don't think he comes around much anymore, but since we know his final wishes we should honor them.

8. Shiningted

Ok, well, Endarire, why don't you just continue your guide by editting the first two posts and I will sticky it. You'll forgive me if I change the name at some point in the future (after you have seen this) to "Endarire's Complete Guide to Scrolls in KotB" or something similar.

9. Endarire

Thankee.

For now, this is primarily a 'spell scrollss are here' guide.

Our Host!