Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. PracticalKat

PracticalKat Member

Enlarge Person can result in a character being shrunk permanently. I have a human fighter who is the same size as my gnome sorceror after having Enlarge Person cast on him (the fighter) regularly. This is with CO8.1.0 New Content installed.

I found a bug listing for Temple+ 1.0.73 release on RPGCodex that listed having "Fixed Enlarge Person gradual shrinkage bug" under Spell Fixes in 2015.
    https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/temple-changelog.99319/

I guess that it never made it's way back into CO8.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

If anyone wants to backport fixes from Temple+ into Co8, be my guest. But as far as I know Co8 8.1.0 is the final release...

3. VNKylan271

VNKylan271 Member

I am having problems with Gremag dialogue even with the patch above . He won't talk after you talk to Rannos. I don't understand..

I have the latest mod.

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Yeah, but even if Livonia's script directed the witch to cast a spell, shouldn't it fail if she's silenced?

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I would have thought so, but apparently Livonya's script is forcing the AI to do stuff it shouldn't be able to.

6. erkper

She was a tricky one...

7. Allyx

The way it usually works is: Strategy.tab is the file that lists all of the AI for enemies in the game, it lists movement, target selection, action type and spells cast if appropriate. If an action is unavailable, it will skip to the next available option.

Livonya's combat script for that fight ignores strategy.tab entirely and details their entire fight routine directly in the script.

8. erkper

I understand that. I don't understand how doing it that way would force the engine to ignore something like Silence that could cause spell failure. Or does the engine actually work the same way for opponents as it does for PCs? Does it actually attempt a spell and check for failure, or is it set up to just never attempt a spell at all if a failure condition exists? (Sounds kind of lame if that's how it actually works...)

9. Allyx

From memory, the script doesn't even check for conditions on the casters, it just checks to see if the caster is alive, if so it creates the spell effect of the first spell as directed by the script, then ticks the turn counter up one, then next round checks to see if they are alive, creates the next spell and ticks the round counter up one etc etc...

So the Silence condition wouldn't even be checked the way it is written, it can only do what is scripted, and must do exactly as it's directed.

The original method of using Strategy.tab could be reinstated, and strategy.tab edited to reflect Livonya's intended strategy routine, which should fix this issue as the enemies would have the abilty to the use the alternative strategy options available to them.

10. Sitra Achara

Livonya scripted the witches to dynamically cast by spawning potions into their inventory. But this should only occur for their Animate Dead and Silence casting, other spells should be as normal.
    Also as I recall the Silence effect that they cast is targeted so that they are just outside its AoE.

11. Allyx

@Sitra Achara what @erkper was saying was that PC's casting Silence on the Witches doesn't stop them being able to cast spells.

12. Sitra Achara

Ok, other than that the point about the scripted potions still stands (since Use Potion doesn't incur a somatic check). He didn't mention which spells the Witch cast though so it's hard to be sure.

13. erkper

Well, it was @messedup who actually reported it, I just picked up the gauntlet and ran. So I don't really know what spells the witches were casting. But if they were actually spawning potions and using those (thus avoiding the somatic check) then I'm back to my original statement - liv was a tricky one... :)

14. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

The one witch that was silenced cast Silence, and the spell to make zombies out of dead people (I haven't learned the names of them and I don't get told what the spells are), and there was bless (I think) or was it prayer...It was a bit ago (and I am going through again so I can probably tell you when I get there again...I am looking at all possible things that can go wrong now.

15. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

The main problem I have is that if you fail your save and move out of the area you stay silenced

Our Host!