What about using Patreon to help fund ToEE modding?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Endarire, May 24, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

Neverwinter Nights has the community-made PRC mod and Patreon page. What about having a similar system to financially repay the many people who have contributed to Co8/Temple+/ToEE modding over the years like Ted and Allyx? (The list is nonexhaustive.)

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I'm totally on board for getting paid to mod... if it's legal. I suspect in the case of ToEE, it's probably not. Though I hasten to add, I'm no legal eagle and don't know the legal ins and outs.

Neverwinter Nights was released with modding tools intentially for the community to expand, and create their own modules, ToEE was not. We had to create our own tools from scratch. It could be argued that WorldED was released... albeit bundled in with the Polish Atari Patch 2, but since it wasn't included in any other Localised Patch 2, it's fairly obvious it wasn't intentionally released.

Atari is assumed to own the rights to ToEE, and somehow they are still a functioning company, as such, even though ToEE is functionally abandonware, Atari do still trade and could still seek legal action against us if we were to start charging for our mods for their software. ToEE is still on sale at GoG.com and perhaps other online game retailers, this suggests Atari still generates income from sales of ToEE.

Whether Patreon donations would count as charitable gifting or paying for modding services on software we don't own, I'm uncertain.

Co8 already accepts charitable gifting in exchange for removing ads for the user's, the ads also help generate income to keep the boards operational.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks for the thought, Endarire, but I've no expectation of pay for this. Like Allyx I don't object to getting rembursed for mods, but we all went into making ToEE understanding it was gratis and I wouldn't want to jeopardise what we have done by trying to change that.

Anyway, you've done your bit by making Ronald. We need more contributions like that!

sirchet likes this.
  4. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Ted: Thankee! I still remember bugging you frequently about Ronald dialogs and expanding behavior. You too have done much for ToEE - and more than I have - with KotB, Co8, and other projects.

All: Google "Using Patreon for game mods" to give you a better idea of what people have done with these topics.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Let's be clear once and for all that this is a no-go for anything co8-related. The implications of doing such a thing would be wide-ranging - who gets paid, how much, etc., not to mention IP rights infringement concerns and that whole world of headaches.

No one ever did any modding for this game expecting to be paid. Let's keep it that way.

Crusism likes this.
Our Host!