ToEE Random project

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by anatoliy, May 3, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. anatoliy

anatoliy Established Member

While doing development of my first module CoE for the game I decided to play with random maps a bit.

I want simple way to:
    * Generate Random Dungeon Map;
    * Import it to ToEE map (grounds and sectors);
    * Generate Random encounters (static or dynamic via python);
    * Generate Random Quest;

For example, move this:
    [​IMG]

via ToEEZ WB:
    [​IMG]

To have this (current stage):
    [​IMG]

I have yet to add Doors and secret doors (perhaps). And other points also.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Very nice! There was some chatter long long ago about randomly generated dungeons for random encounters. I think there's definitely an audience for this, albeit anything that could drastically unbalance the game through giving too much XP is a concern (but I dare say you'll take that into account for your module).

anatoliy likes this.
  3. anatoliy

No worries on XP issue @Shiningted :)
    Everything will be by the book, the DMG one))

Managed to add generation of doors. Will try secret doors...

[​IMG]

sirchet and Allyx like this.
  4. anatoliy

Cannot say that secret doors are going to be very "secret" if any, but still PC would need to successfully make search skill check to use it))

[​IMG]

You may also see double lines on walls with empty line in the middle. That is due to the only simple way to inform the Engine not to show what's beyond walls. I believe there is other "normal" way to clip view during rendering. But I have no idea how does it work.

Next I'm going to create static mobs generation onto those rooms.

5. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Alleluia! I've been wanting this sort of thing for ToEE for at least a year now!

Thankee for doing this!

What are plans to change the backgrounds to be more aesthetically fitting with the rest of ToEE's art style? (The graph paper has a very real-life tabletop RPG feel to it, and I'd like that as an option in the full game.)

How compatible is this likely to be with Co8 New Content 8.1 and Temple+?

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  6. anatoliy

Thanks for your interest, Endarire!

Aestetically current picture does not look appealing. Which is fine during early stage of development.

This can be split into such categories: floor, walls and things like furniture or decorations.

There are miscellaneous floor tiles available for free or paid packages. The only thing that is I'm not desinger, and it would take time and effort to make beautiful floor.

For example I saw like border tiles are shadowed, or even gradient coloring of even floor tiles.

I would gladly receive help with resources and mechanics in generator how some random room should choose tile pattern.

Walls on other hand require not just tiles but room generation tweak to leave unpassable space beyond graphical representation.

Decorations also would require work obviously.

Currently though graphics is not a priority.

I believe having all first level monsters placed randomly would make best introduction of the project.

Then treasure and higher level dungeon. I guess up to three for now.

Then narrative room description. I want dialog to appear with invisible "narrator" first initiated when entering some room. And only afterwards dynamically place monsters. We'll see.

And then off course the most important thing to me - monster tactics, reactions (exclamation) and cooperation.

Half years ago Sitra made giant leap forward by allowing to dynamically specify tactics in Python. Great work Sitra!

But first minimal viable product.

To do:
    1. Statically generate monsters. It's 50% ready.
    2. Collect, or create and verify monsters to comply DMG and MM. I'm talking about proto library edit.
    3. Have initial dialog in start shop to enter the dungeon.
    4. Test installation.

I guess few weeks for that.

Regarding huge co8 modifications. I will take all rules, spell and classes mods. But not module changes obviously.

And off course many things which Sitra did for T+.

7. Endarire

Thankee!

8. Endarire

@anatoliy: For future development, what about these?

-NPCs (companion, neutral, and hostile) with random stats, classes, feats, etc. (These would most likely be within predefined parameters, so there would be various varieties of 2-handed fighting Barbarians, Conjurer Wizards, Cleric Archers, etc.)

-Random shops/merchants/vending chests with level/area-appropriate content.

-Items with random legal abilities, such as a +1 Holy Flaming Keen Glaive or a +5 Vorpal Longsword.

9. anatoliy

I believe companion and neutral npc to be purely rpg elements. Some generic, like hostages to be rescued I was considering creating during random quests generation.

Regarding hostile npc, aka npc monsters - the only issue here is balance. I want a random generation table of npc "monsters" before even considering creating the algorithm.

As for shopping issue I'm thinking about one or few small static trade posts areas aside random maps.

Vending chests is nice original idea. I would love to read research how would it fit into the fantasy elements.

Random items will definitely be a part of the project.

There are purposes for this project:
    *. Sandbox casual play.
    *. TOEEZ WB development. For example I want simple way to place tiles for creation of manual made modules.
    *. Testing of new monsters.
    *. Tactics AI development. Important for me.
    *. Square based movement modification of T+. In vanilla maps there was no necessity for that. And even obstacles due to uneven placement.

10. Endarire

Co8 New Content has a shop in its starting area with vending chests: Insert money and get items.

11. Endarire

Will there be procedurally generated NPCs to recruit?

As for quests, look to WoW for ideas:

-Kill X creature Y times.

-Gather X of item Y.

-Visit/explore X of location Y, such as town areas, flaming areas, a certain number of floors, or simply reaching a certain map.

-Talk to X of NPC/creature Y.

-Succeed or fail on X number of Y skill checks.

-Cast X number of Y spells. These may be specific spells like fireball or heal, spells of a certain level range, spells with a certain descriptor ([Fire], [Pattern]...), or be affecting certain targets (Humanoids, females, Undead...).

12. Endarire

anatoliy likes this.
  13. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

I would love to see and play any kind of additional content that you can make. I would especially welcome new hostile NPC's, probably making the whole game more of a challenge.

14. Endarire

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is a terrible idea. If I may counter with a section from my upcoming book on quests:
    That being said...
    These, on the other hand are very good ideas. Fascinating subject, procedurally generated quests.

Our Host!