New spells

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Aug 29, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Ted, do the Temple+ folks have explicit permission from you to include your ToEE content (including, but not limited to, your Bucket o' Spells mod) in future T+ releases? I'd like to have everything consolodated, but you may need to explicitly tell them this stuff.

Thankee again for your aid!

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, I honestly don't remember if I gave explicit permission previously but yes, I do give explicit permission for my existing stuff to be used in free releases of Temple+ by those particular folks, with appropriate acknowledgements etc.

Note that some of my stuff (such as the alchemical items I made) takes advantage of certain bugs and exploits - eg the alchemical capsules of this and that makes use of the fact that items equipped in a slot will confer bonuses on items in other slots (improperly fixed in an Atari patch, still exploitable by me). That's a part of what modding is - bending the cracks in the code to your will. Anyways, if these bugs and exploits have been removed or fixed by Temple+, then some of my stuff as it currently stands may no longer work properly in Temple+. o_O

Sitra Achara and Allyx like this.
  3. Endarire

Re: Flaming Sphere

I found Darmagon's flaming sphere there. That's the only place on this forum I found the spell in anything more than discussion.

4. Shiningted

Ok, good find Endarire: but the alleged zip in post one that should have the final product is a 404 to the Co8 server. As previously mentioned, the script is in Co8 but not the txt file in the spells folder to make it work, nor is it mentioned in spell.mes (line 179 is removed, which seems something very old rather than recent since it is also missing in KotB, which was based on Co8 4.0 for memory).

First things first - @Gaear , is the zip mentioned in post 1 of the thread Endarire just linked to still on the server somewhere by any chance?

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If it's a 404, it;s gone - lost to the sands of time or the forum switch or something like that.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The script is the hard bit and we have that right?, Re-enabling the spell should be fairly simple, if all it needs is a spell.txt file, there are only so many possible variations for how the spell is cast in those files, use trial and error until it does something in game, see what it does, see what it does wrong, and fix it if possible.

7. Shiningted

Alright, thanks for getting back to me Gaear.
    I quite agree, but it sounded a little like Darmagon had altered the spell to make it work - changed it from targetted to AoE or something, so I wanted to try the easy route before I worried about the difficult one.

O well, I will dust off my modding laptop and see what happens (I do IWD modding on this desktop, btw. Been a bit slack at that lately).

8. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

If I were modding Flaming Sphere, I'd make it a summonable 'creature', use an enlarged Jaer's Fire Ball for the model, give it the Zombie's partial turn restriction (so it can't run or double move), and apply damage by proximity to it, no attacks, and invulnerability to damage.

This would give the player the option to move it as desired, it won't however do anything to remove the caster's move action to concentrate on it. It also won't stop enemies attempting AoO's against it as it moves past them.

My python coding still isn't great though, so I won't embarrass myself by suggesting a script.

9. Endarire

@Shiningted: What are your plans to fix flaming sphere as mentioned prior?

Thankee!

10. Shiningted

Alright, thanks for prodding me along on this. I have actually done something, which is that I searched my old modding PC from aeons ago for that zip to see if we ever had the original file. And I couldn't find the zip to confirm one way or another, which is a pity, but I am now of the opinion that it probably never got released (the txt file that we are missing to activate the spell, that is - I suspect it was never released, probably Darmagon just forgot to stick it in there, too late now). Interestingly, the py file seems to have been in KotB since the first Demo release, but no txt file there either, so its just gone alas.

So yes, I will have to get to work on a new txt file, and see what I can do. Keep prodding me if I don't respond in days to come.

11. Endarire

Thankee!

<poke> <poke>

12. Endarire

13. Endarire

@Shiningted
    More pokage! It's been long enough! What's happening with that update?

<stick noises>

14. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

nudge, nudge

15. Shiningted

Did you guys still want that? Well alright, here you go.

I could talk for hours about how I did this or say little, I choose the latter. Darmagon, as per usual, has made quite a spectacular little spell here. All I did was add the rules file to get it to work, a line in spell.mes, and a rather over-the-top flaming animation on hit (otherwise there was nothing when the critter actually did land a blow, which seemed wrong. Note it was the smallest flaming hit animation I could find.) The spell starts up, works and ends as I would expect it to - and works with multiple casts, if you want to surround an enemy with these shperes - and the way you can move them around the battlefield is quite cool. Fun spell, try it out and let me know if there are problems (I make no guarantees about being able to fix them).

Unzip and figure it out. Yes I dare say I will add it to the spellls / Daryk / Rudy upload from some time back, and turn that into a proper Add-on. All in good time, test this first please. Or I'll start annoying you for feedback.

Attached Files:

Allyx likes this.
Our Host!