So, TemplePlus exists.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Feb 29, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned in the past. My Bard took scribe scroll as a feat. The problem is that when he tries to scribe a scroll of Tasha's Hideous Laughter, he gets charged for scribing a 2nd level scroll, even though the spell is a 1st level spell for Bards. Heroism, a 2nd level Bard spell, is charged as a 3rd level spell.

Edit: I just noticed that my 5th level Bard scribed scroll for Tasha's Hideous Laughter shows that it was scribed by a 3rd level caster.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think a bard has to take the "Practiced Caster" feat to be considered the same level caster as a wizard of the same level, (can gain up to 4 caster levels from the feat).

A Bard doesn't gain access to second level spells until he/she is 5th level.

Bard Info

3. florian1

It looks to me that the ToEE Bard follows the same progression as the SRD Bard.

I don't see where the Bard has a slower caster level progression than other spellcasters. I know that the Paladin and Ranger have slower progressions of caster level than other classes, but I don't see that for the Bard. It seems to me that a 5th level Bard should have a caster level of 5.

With a decent CHA score, the Bard can cast level 1 spells at 2nd level, and 2nd level spells at 4th level.

I will try out the practiced spellcaster feat. However, I am not sure that it will work, as I think I have noticed with a multi-class wizard that the spellcaster level for scribing scrolls does not seem to reflect the caster levels gained from the feat.

Edit: so I gave the Bard the Practiced Spellcaster feat. The Bard is at 7th level, but a scroll of Tasha's Hideous Laughter is given a caster level of 5.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The problem with Bards scribing scrolls is that ToEE never took Bards into account for crafting wands and scrolls.

Bards cast Arcane spells, thus they craft the same Wizard scroll and wand items that Wizards do. The caster level of the item is the base level for a Wizard crafting it at the lowest possible caster level.

Co8 added a few higher level wands for Fireball and Lightning Bolt ect... but Troika only ever added the lowest possible CL for magic items craftable.

To add the alternative CL for every Wand and Scroll possible in the game would require a new proto for every possible variation of every scroll.

Practiced Spellcaster allows upto 4 non caster class levels to count towards your total caster level. E.g. a level 4 Rogue level 1 Wizard with the feat should count as a CL 5 caster.

florian1 likes this.
  5. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

I found the issue. A critical bit of code was missing from the current version. I checked and it was definitely merged into the main repository at one time. Not sure what happened.

As soon as I added the lines back sudden feats worked again. Sorry about that.

Doug

6. florian1

OK. Got it. Thanks

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's not true anymore, at least for wands in Temple+ where you can now select the caster level. I always meant to give scrolls the same treatment, but was too lazy hehe.

Bards crafting may be a different issue, but the code can be edited now to correct it anyway.

8. StrontiumDog

StrontiumDog Established Member

I am terribly sorry for not providing an error-file, as strongly recommended to me before this. Basically, I have a problem in that somehow I dismissed my drow sorceress' familiar and now am unable to summon a new familiar. There is no "dismiss" option any more. Is there some standard command one can put in to allow a new familiar? Basically, I had tried to summon a different familiar, a raven or owl instead of a toad, - and perhaps that is not allowed in a co8 toee game?

9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The 3.5 rules state that if a familiar is dismissed or dies a Wizard can summon a new one after a year has passed... pass time for 365 days or so and you should be able to summon a new familiar.

10. Barles

Barles Member

Awesome! Looking forward to the feats in the next build. Thanks again for looking into this!

11. StrontiumDog

Thanks for the familiar notion, I haven't played ad&d since the 2nd edition off-line so I had no idea. Could someone please show me how to fix the sudden widen etc. feats? Or is the new update coming very soon, anyway? Thanks!

12. StrontiumDog

By the way, in my current quest to do , well, at least 11 of the 12 tremple quests, I noticed that, even after I had completed kelno's 1st quest to recruit the water temple bugbears, they still joined the fight against Belsornig as part of Romagh's 3rd quest. Please could someone fix this? Thanks!

13. _doug_

_doug_ Established Member

Unfortunately you will have to wait for an update to fix that issue.

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I hope to do a release this week.

15. StrontiumDog

Thanks a lot!

Our Host!