LFG - Who wants to play online Pathfinder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sirchet, Feb 7, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That would be doable @Alyxx.

If I were to play in a game that starts at 02:00 It would certainly put a damper on the fun for me.

Now 09:00 is right up my alley. :D

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

So what, exactly, what be needed in order to participate? Assume the prospect is starting from zero.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Firstly, download Mumble from here, and install it. I don't have @sirchet 's Mumble server details as yet though.

Secondly, download Fantasy Grounds from here, and install it. since I don't have an Ultimate Licence yet (which allows free demo users to connect to the GM), you'll need at least a Standard Licence ($3.99 per month, or $39 for a lifelong licence). I am considering upgrading to an Ultimate Licence (so anyone can play my games for free), but haven't done so yet since it is a bit pricey, and I haven't needed it so far.

Thirdly, download Hamachi from here, and install it. you'll need this to connect Fantasy Grounds to the GM's instance of Fantasy Grounds, this is to mitigate any annoying connection issues that may occur otherwise (I still have some trouble connecting sometimes).

Optionally you may want headphones with a microphone built in if you don't have one already, or headphones and a webcam to record audio and/or video.

I am thinking about recording the sessions, either the audio only, or video stream as well. Depending on how well it goes, and only if all participants are willing of course, I may upload the games as a Podcast and/or Youtube channel... if it goes insanely well and people are up for it, I could even stream the games live on Twitch. If not, I'll record them for our personal use, and make them available to the players to listen back to if they so wish.

As for content, I was thinking of starting with some single modules, I have We B4 Goblins set up, and 2 parts of the Quest for Perfection Pathfinder Society Scenario trilogy already. I also have the Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path.

I also recently got the Shattered Star Adventure Path (though this isn't set up for Fantasy Grounds yet, and I have yet to read it) in a Humble Bundle as well as a HUGE number of other Paizo rulebooks and other products. I just got $505 of Paizo .PDF files for just $18... this offer is only running for another 12 days or so if anyone is interested, I SRONGLY SUGGEST YOU GRAB THIS WHILE IT LASTS.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    GuardianAngel82 likes this.
  4. sirchet

The server info for Mumble is:

Server: sirchet.mumble.com
    Password: roscoe01
    port 9713

I haven't had to use Hamachi before and I've been playing for years.
    Do you think Hamachi will have an effect on the other campaigns I'm playing in, Allyx?

5. Allyx

It shouldn't interfere with other games @sirchet. Best I can tell, it just means connecting Hamachi on your end to Hamachi on my end instead of directly connecting to my IP address.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Yikes! That's a lot of hardware and software... consider me doubled down for play by post...

7. sirchet

I'd love to play Allyx, but adding a VPN from a company I've never heard of just to connect to an already secure system that hides your ip address seems rather redundant and potentially problematic.

Please let me know if you decide to host a game using the secure system Fantasy Grounds already has set up.

If you decide to move forward with the plan you have laid out, feel free to use my mumble server if it will help.

8. Allyx

Hamachi is widely used by gamers of many games, and it's even recommended on the Fantasy Grounds forum's for those suffering with connection issues, I'd happily forgo Hamachi IF I can get the connection working without it.

Hamachi is for when you can't get passed the port forwarding issues.

To be fair, I think the remaining connection issues I have are on my laptop, whereas I would be using my desktop for these games as it's a fair bit more powerful.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. sirchet

I believe you Allyx, it just that I've been using FG for about 9 years and never heard of it before.

If you work it out without it I'm in, if not you can still use my voice server if you like.

10. Allyx

@sirchet sorry dude, this idea seems to have died on it's arse. I will invite you to join my Saturday game instead though if you like?

We play from 2pm GMT till 6pm at least twice a month. You'll need a 13th level character rolled up (4d6 drop lowest method for stat generation) and imported to FG ready to play.

@anatoliy has also expressed interest in joining my home game via Fantasy Grounds, I'll also be contacting him about setting it up.

We currently have a 13 Ranger, 13 Cleric, 13 Sorcerer and 4 Rogue/4 Wizard/5 Arcane Trickster in the party, so whatever you want to bring along will be fine.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. Vouru

Vouru Member

Just felt like it would be helpful but in case you were not aware there is a site called Roll20 that was designed for hosting Table top games like D&D you can use for free ya?

https://roll20.net/

12. Allyx

I am aware of Roll20, it has some nice features in it, I personally decided against using it because the host of the game is required to pay a subscription to host content on their servers and I'd rather not have the reoccuring bills. Fantasy Grounds has a Licence option to pay once and never pay again, as well as a GM's licence to allow free demo accounts to join a game for free. I just haven't upgraded my licence yet.

Then if course there is the whole racism row that blew up last year when Roll20 doublebacked on some of their biggest online advocates when 5 DnD streamers wanted to put out a new stream with Roll20, and were refused because they were "all middle aged white guys"... and the hate and rage that followed etc...

13. Vouru

Vouru Member

I can totally understand the row.
    That said it's free to host.

14. Allyx

That wasn't the impression I got when I was looking it over, if you want to upload maps you need space on the server to host it there... that said I didn't try it out for an extended period of time either. In any case, I'm happy with Fantasy Grounds, and I already bought the Adventure Path I'm running in FG, no desire to buy it again in Roll20.

The dynamic lighting and line of sight features of Roll20 are certainly restricted to subscribers only.

15. Vouru

Vouru Member

This is true, and also I hear FG is no slouch ether! I figured I'd just drop a mention on the off chance I could be helpful =]

IMO I think FG is probably BETTER since it was made for D&D specifically IIRC.

Our Host!