Pathfinder: Kingmaker (PC)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anatoliy, Sep 25, 2018.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I got through it by letting them take an NPC, then finding thier camp and killing them all. You find an additional 2 playable NPC's there too.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You could try not attacking the Technic League and see what happens. ;)

I beat the first encounter with them, but it took very careful micro managing of my team.

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Allyx's tack is what I'm on at the moment, but I definitely think I need at least third level before I can tackle them. And I think I found the fatal flaw in the game engine: there's no "5-foot step". If you back up to change weapons, they're getting a free attack of opportunity, and for things like the "treant-like bear", that's fatal at second level.

One thing TOEE absolutely has over these guys is level-appropriate challenges. My first two attempts at the game abruptly ended at the third random encounter. The first simply because I didn't know better to just avoid encounters if you could (werewolves at 2nd level? Really? When I've had exactly zero access to silver weapons?). And the second because I failed to recognize boxed text when I saw it. The urgency they give you for the nymph story line really leads you into things you just can't handle at the level you are when you get the clues. If the world isn't really going to end in the next day or so, why I am I charging into things I can't even remotely handle? TOEE does a much better job of pointing you a level appropriate challenges, in my opinion. Having to restore to the last save simply because I went somewhere I thought I HAD to in support of the story line simply sucks.

4. Allyx

You shouldn't need to wait to take on the Technic League, I litterally went from losing a member to them, 1 random encounter, raided their base and won easilly, considering how tough that first encounter was, the second was pathetic in comparison.

RTwP sucks IMO because the humble 5' step isn't a viable option. It is essential for a number of tactical situations. Switching weapons, stepping back to fire a ranged weapon, casting a spell, or chugging a potion, advancing through a large creature's reach range, all without provoking AoO's.

anatoliy likes this.
  5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Really? The "main encounter" can be beaten by four 2nd level characters completely outclassed by the random "set up" encounter?

6. Allyx

Yep, wasn't hard at all.

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Good to know... I suppose that will enable me to make 3rd level... :)

8. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Wow... that was easy... Of course, the XP reward was pretty small too. Still trying to make 3rd level before going back to that temple...

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

*SIGH* Made third level (finally), then ran into a single worg with a small pack of wolves. TPK.

This game is really messing with my sense of what characters of certain levels should be able to accomplish.

10. Allyx

I think it's a matter of hunting around for battles you can win until you're experienced enough to take on much bigger battles.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you go into the options you can tweak the difficulty to a more suitable level of challenge, there really are quite a few options.

Some of the loading screens mention that if a battle is to tough you might need to come back later when you're stronger.

My party is level 5 and we're still having a hard time with some fights, (just had a tpk from three ancient water elementals).

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Before I made 3rd level, we were jumped by a random encounter with a huge Fire Elemental. That was a near instant reload.

I did see all the settings, and set them all to "Normal". But I did that before I played at all, so everything I'm seeing should be "normal" for the game. I guess the lack of 5' step is worth more than thought.

13. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I inquired about 5-foot step on the Kingmaker forums, and got a reply that it was implemented, and that your mobility makes it "easier/harder". I have the game, but haven't started to play it yet. The forums make it pretty clear that the dev team will be making a number of adjustments based on feedback so far. There have been several patches already.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I'm up to patch 1.0.3, but haven't seen anything like a 5' step anywhere... did they say how it was implemented?

15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I managed to make 5th level before the "run a Barony" part of the game. I've having a hard time getting into the new interface. It's not exactly intuitive to me.

Our Host!