C08 Mod for German Game

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Oleg Ben Loleg, Apr 24, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Hi, I'm expecting my two nieces, 9 and 11, for a one week visit. Last time I succesfully transfered the AD&D virus on them. This time I wanted to play ToEE and I'm sure they will love it. Problem is that their english is very basic so I would have to play the german version with them. Is it possible to put the latest patch on a german version. Sure all new content will be in english. Appreciate any help.
    I know there are some very old informations about playing the Co8mod on a german game. As far as I understood it was not possible at that time.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I've never seen any other language versions, but I doubt it would work. I assume there are many different files with different names, so the basic overwriting principal wouldn't work. Sorry.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

On the contrary, they can improve their English by playing ToEE.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I remember there was an old German patch for ToEE, you can find it here bare in mind though, it's out of date and incomplete, a lot of the newer material will be unsupported, and it may undo more recent fixes in it's current state.

If you wanted to update it, I would suggest using Beyond Compare to to a side vy side comparison then just copy the german dialogue into the newer dialogue files.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  5. Oleg Ben Loleg

Thanks for your answers. I assume Beyond Compare is a software (I'm not familiar with). I think I have to take Sitras aproach. It will probably be easier for me to translate all the parts they don't understand than to meddle with my installation or to have second probably quite difficult to install german version that only works partially and might be instable.

6. Allyx

That would be the safest option. Beyond Compare is one of those programs we have used here for years, it allows multiple versions of files to be opened side by side and compares the differences between the files. I've downloaded the GULP patch and had a quick peek at the contents, there is quite a few files inside it, UI text and dialogues etc...

Since most of the text probably hasn't changed since GULP was released, it would be just a matter of swapping out the English text for the German text, without editing or altering the code that will be present in places. I would offer to do it, but my German is virtually non-existent, and if any alterations were made, I would be blissfully unaware of it, and would copy over the incorrect text provided. Plus the new C08 data would still be in English.

7. Oleg Ben Loleg

Thanks Allyx, will try that. And I can make a copy of my Temple of Elemental Evil Folder. When I somehow mess up my game I can still use that safe copy for overwriting the messed up Installation or do I have to make a new clean install?

8. Allyx

In my experience, copying the entire ToEE root folder and pasting it again in the same location wjll make a "ToEE (Copy)" folder that works completely independantly, you can even rename the new root folder and it'll still work. I currently have 4 ToEE root folders on my 2nd hard drive with different patch versions installed, all work just fine.

Oleg Ben Loleg likes this.
  9. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

The USK (the german PEGI) rates Temple of Elemantal Evil at age 12+ so it might not be approbiate for 9year olds

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Just don't translate the Brothel bits (...or, you know, anything else by Ted) and it'll be fine. :)

sirchet likes this.
  11. Allyx

The brothel bits were disabled at release... the 12 rating was probably given without that bit being included... the blood spatter graphics and assassination quests are most likely what pushed the rating up.

Our Host!