Thank you so much!

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Branstock, Mar 26, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. Branstock

Branstock Member

Hello all, in a sentimental mood I've bought from GOG the ToEE game which I've played more than 10 years ago, and only by chance I've discovered the KotB "expansion module"... And what can I say? THANK YOU!
    I've played the original B2 D&D module when I was 14 and we took literally MONTHS of game to finish it since our wonderful Dungeon Master kept inventing more and more plots and sub-plots to hold our party engaged in the Keep (I remember a bank robbery, an alchemist's laboratory we've messed up creating awful monsters in it, my female cleric ended up marrying the Castellan, the attack of three red dragons, and so on....).
    Again, thanks a lot for having brought me again in my youth - even if for a few moments.

Now I've finished KotB once with a good-aligned party, now I'm trying to play it with neutral characters but I think I'm stuck with the "secret door bug" and trying to manage to get to the sewers...
    Thanks again!

Kriegdoom, daveyd and sirchet like this.
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey dude! Glad you are having fun. There are 3 alchemists laboratories in KotB which you may or may not find, all pretty much in plain sight. (The bank robbery plot in our game sort of fell by the wayside with the leaving of the modder who was meant to handle the bank - alas, its an empty building as you no doubt noticed).

The secret door bug should not be a thing since there is the Secret Door Tool that you would have had to use to get off the initial shopmap, are you using that?

3. Branstock

Branstock Member

Hi and thanks for the answer!
    I haven't found the laboratories but I presume that one should be in the Inner Bailey and one in the Mad Wizard's tower.

I have tried several times to find the secret doow to the sewer, both with the Secret Door Tool and the Search (Concentrated) but without success. Is there a special way to find it?

Besides this, are you planning to release some other update to KotB? Or any other adventure with the ToEE engine?
    Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you're looking for an "in-process" new adventure with the ToEE engine, check out the Icewind Dale Total Conversion forum in the Modding section. Allyx, with some help from Ted and a few others, is working to convert the Icewind Dale game using the ToEE engine. The demo is complete and well done, I for one am eagerly anticipating more. :)

5. Shiningted

Yeah, there's IWD, I am slowly working on that (a scan of the 'flags' thread will show I added some new flags just the other day :) ). The next KotB patch has had a huge amount of work done but is on the backburner for the immediate future.

Re secret doors - well, they're not the only way down to the sewer, you know? I can tihnk of an opening to the area under the Keep right in the Outer Bailey.

Otherwise there's a few doors hidden here and there, but they had pretty hi DCs for memory. If you really want to know, try...
    the basement of the Merchant's Guild (if they let you in), and the basement of the pub - both have grilled areas that should conceal a door into the sewer.

6. Branstock

Branstock Member

I've seen the "probable" entrance in the pub's cellar but I didn't manage to find it. I'll try with the Merchants' Guild (I'm in).
    And I've missed altogether any other straight entrance to the sewers...

7. Shiningted

Well maybe it's a bit counter-intuitive, but its in the, err, well. Middle of the market place - just use rope. Admittedly it's probably a bit suspect that they get their drinking water from the sewer, but once you get down there, you find the well keeps going to a water table way below the sewer lines.

If you could be bothered, please let me know the search ranks of your best character looking for the door in the pub - that may be a bug.

8. Branstock

Branstock Member

Thanks! I've tried to search in the market area with my Rogue character and the result is "You've found something"... but I could not manage to get there! Maybe is this a "fake detection"?

How can I check the search rank of a character?

9. Shiningted

Search ranks are in the character's Skills area, but the Secret Door search tool checks every character's Search abilities, but centred on whoever uses the tool (this is sub-optimal - it can have a character find a door from the wrong side of the map, or miss one right next to them if the person using the tool is using it elsewhere - but that's how it works). The 'you found something" is probably a trap on one of the sellers' inventory chests, that's a funny little thing from the original game that probably pops up in KotB too. But the well in the market place doesn't have to be searched for, you just walk up to it and Use Rope from the radial menu of whoever is carrying rope.

10. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Member

Thanks from me too.. Keep on the Borderlands was one of my very first Advanced DnD modules waaaay back in my early teens as well (in the very early 80's, I know ancient times, lol. it was before the abomination of Greedo shooting first which simply never happened in my book, lol. nope.).. this really takes me back to fond memories.. I mean, I remember going to cons when Gary Gygax ran actual games.. I haven't quite kept up all through the years and editions as it's tough to get people together for such things due to time and scheduling and other commitments.. but thankfully via some computer games i've been able to keep somewhat in touch with my paper RPG roots a bit.. and TOEE was one and then a big disappointment due to it's state of release, lol.. but the work the Circle of Eight group has done.. all the loving hard work.. has meant a whole bunch to me..

and I check back occasionally over the years to see what updates have happened.. I've already played through Keep a few years ago but I didn't write this then... when I should have.. I'm actually reinstalling TOEE and Keep again as I got enthused on Dnd again via recently watching youtube lore vids and Critical Role again... so this time, I thought I would share my thanks and gratitude for all the fond memories and gratitude from this old original gamer dude who grew up with a commodore 64, Dnd books in his backpack (I even started the very first DnD club in my grade school in the early 80's).. who had tape on his glasses.. I even ran DnD sessions as a GM over dial up BBS message boards! ha! and later as a teen discovered girls are awesome, got a mohawk and picked up a bass and then had a 30 plus year career in the music biz both playing and recording music as an engineer and musician.. and never lost his gamer spirit.. or his nerd heart.

Thanks to you all for your hard work, it is very much appreciated. you have no idea the joy it brings this now disabled almost 50 year old man..

much love!

11. Shiningted

Heh, sounds like we are the same age (I'll be 48 next week) and I have many of the same memories. Glad you liked it :)

Scott Parker likes this.
  12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ahh, to be in my 40's again .... fond memories.

No, wait! My life is pretty freaking awesome now. :D

A quick note to Scott, if you're still in touch with your DnD friends you might want to look into Fantasy Grounds and maybe you guys can still play via the web.

Scott Parker likes this.
  13. Scott Parker

Scott Parker Member

:D Awesome.

Sirchet, Actually got back into Paper Rpg with some 20 something musician friends.. but what also looks really exciting regarding Web based DnD in regards to actual Paper DnD.. is a Valve employee left the company awhile back and went into Augmented Reality.. and this looks like it's the most promising thing to come along for DnD because the ONE thing that becomes the biggest barrier when you get older is actually being able to get everyone together due to either Kids, responsibilities, etc..

this is actually just coming to market.. and I think it's going to be a real game changer since it's also meant to be cross platform and not just for those who have AR being able to participate.. as long as the price isn't prohibitive... this will totally bring a new age..

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

@Scott Parker the Tilt 5 Kickstarter is still live, fully funded in 17 hours, and going through stretch goals atm, price tag starts around $300 for one set, and gets upto silly money if you plan on using 5 sets to play D&D on it ($1500-ish?), it looks great and I hope they do well, I don't think I can justify it on my salary but I can dream.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
  15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I certainly can't...

Our Host!