Harm spell duplication

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by marc1967, Jan 10, 2018.

Remove all ads!
  1. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

So I was trying to get an NPC to cast a Harm spell, and entered it properly in strategy.tab, but the spell wouldn't cast. After digging through rules/spell_enum.mes I saw that there were two Harm spells listed. One that is in use, and the other that goes nowhere:

This is the one that is actually implemented:
    {566}{spell_harm}
    {5566}{Harm}​

This one does nothing:
    {218}{spell_harm}
    {218}{Harm}
    The problem arises when I put this command into strategy.tab:
    cast single 'Harm' class_cleric 6
    The game is picking up on the 218 version, which of course has no rules or script files, so the spell goes nowhere. I blanked out the 218 entry, which fixed the problem, and doesn't seem to upset anything else so far, either on the NPC or PC side.

Or does it...? And why are there two of them in the first place? Also, I noticed the spell Harm was never used in any strategy either in vanilla or Co8 mods, so maybe this problem was experienced by others.

Edit: Also, the spell leaves the target at 1 hit point, even on a failed save. This is wrong, unless I am missing something.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I recall there was a spell slot that was meant for Wall of Fire. Was it that?

Edit: Ah no, that was Glibness. (it had a duplicate rules entry, occupying both 552 and 522)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Edit: Also, the spell leaves the target at 1 hit point, even on a failed save. This is wrong, unless I am missing something.

Sounds like someone tried implementing an older edition version of Harm somewhere along the way

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

ToEE was originally written for 3.0, but updated to 3.5 at the last minute when 3.5 was officially released. There are a few bits that escaped the update E.G. Burning Hands AoE is displayed as the 3.0 ed 180° arc instead of the 3.5 ed 90° cone.

The 3.5 edition rule for Harm can be found here and it states, creatures can't be harmed below 1 HP from this spell.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Harm is one of those spells that's gone through a few changes through various editions; I forgot that 3.5e has the 'cannot drop below 1' rule! I thought the code was trying to duplicate older editions' 'on failed save, drops target to exactly 1 hp' version. :)

Our Host!