Dominate person

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by datakurs, Jun 10, 2017.

Remove all ads!
  1. datakurs

datakurs Member

Hello!

At first thank you very much for all participants for their wonderful work on this mod. I hope you will continue to develop it further some day.
    My questions are:
    - How to use the dominate person wizard spell? Unlike charm person, the target (and everyone else around) goes hostile. Casting it during combat seems useless: while the target is marked as 'charmed', nothing changes, and keeps attacking me.
    - What's the difference between charm and dominate? Saving throws, duration?
    - Is there any method to access the inventory of a charmed NPC, without knocking him out and rob?
    - I charmed Dala the thieving serving wench (kind of vengeance), and she keeps being paralyzed, so totally useless in combat. I believe this is her hard-coded script, according to her hysterical fainting in the tavern as Rentsch dies. When the charm spell goes off, 'paralyzed' mark disappears, then reappears again as I charm her again once more. Looks like her paralyzation endlessly recurs. Is it possible to get rid of this script?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. Jo

Jo Member

Charm Person and Dominate Person are both very overpowered in toee. Charm Person turns the enemy into someone on your side, and this functions much like a summoned creature. You don't control the actions during combat, but the individual fights on your behalf.

Dominate Person is a more powerful fun version of that. It allows the person dominated to become a group member, allowing you access to their inventory, and essentially allowing you to control them directly in combat, e.g. where they move, who they attack, what potions or scrolls they use, etc.

Dominate Person may not be working for you if a) the subject made the saving throw, or b) maybe you already have a full party. You can never have more than eight people in your party at one time. The mods, of course, allow up to five of those people to be NPCs, but I believe you could only have three NPCs in the original vanilla version.

Personally, I think these spells can get a little buggy. Just my experience, but sometimes I notice that targets charmed just stand and do nothing. Mostly it works well, though.

Of note, and this may be considered cheating by some, if you have a target dominated and that target dies, and you subsequently raise the target from the dead, said individual becomes a permanent member of your party. Want to travel around with Senshock? Dominate him, let him die, then raise him. Same with any NPC as far as I know.

I believe all of the above information I'm sharing is correct. If not, hopefully someone here will correct me.

And finally, the people who modded this game are amazing. I can't thank them enough.

3. Jo

Jo Member

Also, this may be worth noting: if you dominate a spell caster and the spell caster "joins" your party, they typically have no spells memorized when that happens. I believe that's just a thing in the game dealing with how spells are used on a daily basis. To use the example of Senshock, he could be attacking you with spells one moment, and then show as having none memorized when you dominate him.

4. datakurs

datakurs Member

Thank you very much, I understood: my party was full so the dominate spell did not work.

Our Host!