Time for a New Solo Thread ?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BrotherSmythe, Dec 23, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The spells' description on the srd states it is immobile, it also states that it does not prevent spells of level 3 or less already in effect within it's area at the time of casting from working, only spells of level 3 or less cast within its area after it is cast are affected.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  2. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

The spell description and other rules are contradictory, but according to an offical response in a number of Dragon Magazines from TSR, then WoC. The spell can be either mobile OR stationary depending on the GM. In other words, the people who wrote the Da* rule cannot even agree. What the spell SHOULD NOT DO is negate existing Buffs on the party

3. BrotherSmythe

BrotherSmythe Established Member

Having trouble with Emerydies Run. I'm wiz5/fgt4. Iirc you can't prebuff before this battle. I've tried web,fireball and enlarge person. That doesn't seem to be the correct combination of spells. I could come back at next level or with Scather but I feel that I can beat these guys without taking either of these recourses.
    I realize that I may not have the best solo build but I just had to have my feats. I may have to start levels in Eldritch Knight very soon.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  4. Allyx

You could try setting your party to sneak before setting out to Emeryd's run, assuming you don't trigger combat immediately, move your characters downwards away from the frogs, and prebuff there. Try to engage each group separately, frogs first, then Lizard men after.

Use the web to impede the Lizard men's movement towards you, fireball the web as a last resort, the flaming webs do a little additional damage.

5. BrotherSmythe

6. BrotherSmythe

An excellent plan if the sneak aspect works. Definitely would attack them piecemeal. You mentioned downwards so you are evidently aware that you can accidentally trigger an encounter with the giant garfish, which I discovered to my chagrin. One time while battling the frogs the 'shehag' and her consort moved to engage me so I moved one of my party northeast to what I thought was a safe distance. The battle so far was 'a close run thing' when I discovered to my horror that the Garfish decided to join the fray. That encounter ended badly for me like Napoleon at Waterloo discovering that the Prussians were approaching his flank.

7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

If I understand correctly, you are soloing with a multiclass Ftr/Wiz. Unless things have changed, a single PC 'landing' at Emridy's Run shouldn't trigger the Hag and lizardmen automatically, so if you can deal with the Behemoth frog you can buff to your heart's content before dealing with the Hag... I'm not sure that you are equipped to deal with going toe-to-toe with such a foe at the moment: it has more hitpoints than you, better BAB and probably hits harder too, and being swallowed is an early loss even if you have the hp in reserve. Depending on what gear you have available, standing and taking the hits for a few rounds while you get your buffs up, then taking a Heal potion and fighting back might be an option, but I suspect you might end up swallowed. Immobilising the hag with a web then dealing with the frogs/ lizardmen by kiting might work-mutiple scrolls of Web, Stinking Cloud will help, and if you can buy a scroll of Cloudkill from Burne to drop on an immobilised Behemoth frog that will help. I suspect you may need to return with more firepower, though.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's what the SRD says: An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 4th level or lower. Hah hah, I mean .... what Al said. ;)

9. Allyx

As there is no DM for ToEE (Except for modder added content), we at the Co8 err on the side of the SRD as the official guidelines of what should be represented in Co8 mods for ToEE.
    This I agree with you is a bug. I suspect the problem was that the spell actually changed between 3.0 and 3.5 ed rules, the SRD represents the 3.5 ed version, and Troika failed to update their 3.0 ed version to the 3.5 ed rules.

10. BrotherSmythe

Worked! Went into sneak mode before traveling to the EM ambush. Stayed in sneak mode, buffed up. Killed the frogs then attacked the hag and her cronies. Beautiful. It would not have occurred to me to use sneak before traveling. All hail mighty Allyx! Could we get some trumpets here please?

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Wouldn't it make for a long and tirering journey sneaking all the way there? :p

Oleg Ben Loleg and BrotherSmythe like this.
  12. BrotherSmythe

It was but at least I didn't get caught. Not that I was doing anything. ...

sirchet and Gehennis like this.
  13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Hey, it works in The Elder Scrolls universe, why not in ToEE? :)

14. BrotherSmythe

Also,it's in a bad neighborhood (Nulb).

15. BrotherSmythe

Update : wiz5/fgt4/EK2. The extra 2 levels of Eldritch Knight made a big difference and I discovered that you get to choose new wizard spells after level one . For some reason I thought that Eldritch Knight did not grant you extra spells per level . Is this a happy glitch?
    Anyway I was having trouble with the final boss of level one of the dungeon so I took a shortcut to Prince Thrommel, rescued him, got Scather, and returned to that area with the earth temple pyramid where the boss retreats to with his cronies. The extra levels of EK ,Scather, and the feat Cleave made a significant difference. Smashing slaughter.
    Let me just say that Enlarge Person is one of the best first level spells evah!

sirchet likes this.
Our Host!