A couple of problems

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sigofmugmort, Nov 15, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

First, on level 4 of the Temple both Clerics got to go first and I noticed that Flame Strike did NON-LETHAL damage even tho it is a Fire spell.

Second, A Halberd is NOT a reach weapon even tho it is in the same Pole-arm size as a Glaive or Ransuer,
    according to The International Encyclopedia from 5000BC to 2000AD by the Diadem Group and The Smithsonian's Military History

:confused:

2. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Member

3. sigofmugmort

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Are you saying ToEE is counting the Halberd as a reach weapon? It shouldn't be by the rules, but if it is, it's a bug with the game. Or perhaps the graphical representation of the halberd in ToEE apears to be too large?

5. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I think he's saying that the rules (of TOEE and D&D) don't match with reality (real life, as per the two quoted academic sources regarding the size of halberds compared to glaives); i.e. that halberds should have reach, since they are (in real life) comparable in size to glaives and ranseurs.

6. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Member

I know that logic dictates similar conclusion, but that would make halberds OP weapons - having reach, anti-charge, trip and double damage (slashing and piercing) types.

7. Allyx

The logic behind the decision to not classify the Halberd as a reach weapon could be due to how the weapon itself is wielded.

Setting a Halberd against a charge involved the wielder crouching down with feet quite widely apart and placing the bottom of the shaft firmly into the ground behind you while holding the shaft in the middle.

A Glaive in comparison would see the wielder hold the shaft near the bottom with one hand and a little further up the shaft with the other.

8. sigofmugmort

Halbardiers where considered Elite foot troops due to the training needed to use properly and was (narrowly) second only to the Bill-Hook in effectiveness against cavalry.

BTW: To set a Pole arm against a charge requires the butt of the weapon to be braced against the ground to work

Pole arm should probably have been a separate Martial weapon grouping I.E Complex Martial(pole-arm) with the Halberd as an Exotic Weapon due to it being one of the most difficult to learn to use properly

of course, this does not explane why a Flame Strike which is a Fire spell does Non-Lethal damage to Trolls unlike fireball

:eek::confused:

Gehennis likes this.
  9. Allyx

The spell description for Flamestrike states that half of the damage is fire based, the other half is "Divine Power", is it possible your Troll took full damage from the fire portion, and subdual damage from the Divine portion? That is how it is supposed to work.

10. sigofmugmort

Have to find another Troll to Flame Strike;), It does seem to split the damage but weirdly:confused:

On the other hand ,I did find that if a Rogue has a Pole Arm equipped you can be outside the AoE of a trap you fail to disarmo_O

11. Allyx

Yep polearms with reach have a few funky side-effects, like casting Cure light wounds 10 feet away via the tip of a longspear...

12. sigofmugmort

Odd, after doing a De-frag on my computer Flame Strike now properly proportions the damage:confused:

On the plus side, I found the "Puree" setting with a Glaive:D Half-Orc ftr with Improved Crit, str22+giant str belt +6, Bulls Str enlarge with invisibility move into room FULL of nasties, take Glaive +3,Holy,Anachronic,Shock, and Keen then activate Whirlwind Feat:D

13. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Member

Puree, like potatoes? :D And you probably mean Axiomatic, right?

Enhancement bonus from belt and spell shouldn't stack, try playing Co8 8.1.0 with latest Temple+ for more fun and less bugs. Also, rogue /fighter with 6 ranged sneak attacks (rapid shot + haste from boots of speed + 4 attacks from 16 BAB) is quite good, too! But agree that whirlwind is quite broken with all that cleaving, for max level 10 chars!

14. sigofmugmort

OOPS:oops:, Axiomatic and it was a Potion of Heroism, the Cleric had the Bulls Strength

Our Host!