Temple+ Runtime Error

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SwingBlade, Aug 22, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gwydion25

Gwydion25 Member

Oh that would be nice! It's tedious to drag every item that I wanted to sell.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Bah, I just checked and found that Alt+Click selling was in from the first version!
    I think it might have been restricted to left Alt though.

3. Azure

Azure Member

I've been having the same runtime error that ends with this line:
    Now, what confuses me is that you and others didn't mention what Windows version each of you are using. That could be helpful to understanding this problem. What Windows version are all of you using?

From what I understand, Microsoft made the decision to only allow some features of DirectX 11 on Win7, while all features are allowed for Win8 and up. You only get a portion of DirectX 11.1 if you have Win7 SP1. I have Win7 SP1 (64-bit), and dxdiag.exe indicates I have "DirectX 11" ... dxdiag.exe in Win7 only shows the major version (not 11.0 or 11.1).

My Windows Update is currently disabled. If I were to try Windows Update anyway, to make sure I have DirectX 11.1 (which I think I have anyway) -- that would require the Platform Update for Windows (KB2670838). Some people call KB2670838 the evil update for a couple of reasons (such as breaking Aero). Then there are other updates that force the user's OS to upgrade to Win10 (meaning I have to take great care to not pick the wrong one even if there's a update that patches KB2670838). Some people (and businesses) have reported losing valuable data due to the forced upgrade to Win10, and downgrading back to the original OS version often doesn't work out well.

So what should I do? Stick with Temple+ 1.0.13 (with works), even though Temple+ 1.0.14 and upwards don't? Is there a better solution so I can enjoy the most recent version of Temple+ (which I'm using with co8 modpack installed) ? :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  4. Azure

Azure Member

I was pleased to find that left Alt+Click selling works in Temple+ 1.0.13, as well! Right Alt+Click doesn't work in that version.

5. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I don't know if it would be supported on WinXP or Vista, I don't think they got DX11 at all. Win7+, I don't think it matters which OS you have. MS delivers DX updates through Windows Update, or there is a direct link that I don't have handy at this time.

6. Azure

Azure Member

Which version of Windows are you using?

7. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

8. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

I also played on Win7 Home Premium x64 for a few days before I had a hard drive failure and had to change things up.

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I had Win7 on my old computer and obviously the game ran fine on it, but then I didn't disable the updates. Strangely it never tried to install Win10 on it, though. I'm not sure how you can get DX11 updated in your situation.

Other than that it definitely won't work on XP, and I think starting with 1.0.14 it won't on Vista either, but it's hard to say for sure.

10. Azure

Azure Member

Wow very interesting. So the latest version of Temple+ works on Win7 for you?

I tried updating to latest Java version, turning off anti-alias in the .ini file, and a few other things short of updating Windows 7. Do you recall what Windows update(s) you installed to get the latest Temple+ to work, and if there were any problems?

(gotta run, will be back later)

11. SwingBlade

SwingBlade Member

Is there a reason you're not wanting to update? Generally speaking, keeping your OS updated is advised. If you don't have an authentic version of Windows, then having the specific update file won't help since it runs an authenticity checker first.

On the RPG Codex thread someone linked the relevant Windows installer that would update the required DX11 component, but I don't really have time to find that atm.

Overall, no other suggestions will be useful until you update/install the appropriate DX11. That is the most likely issue, and trying anything else first would just be a waste of our effort.

12. Gwydion25

Gwydion25 Member

Is there any log or list of fixes that have been made in 1.0.13?

13. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

14. Gwydion25

Gwydion25 Member

Thanks for the link Allyx.

15. Azure

Azure Member

Reread Post #33.

As mentioned in that post... Windows 10 was forced on many people through several different updates, so I'm careful about downloading Microsoft's latest updates. Second, the Platform Update for Windows (KB2670838), which contains the DirectX 11 files for Win7, is known to break Aero and has other serious bugs.

My Win7 Pro (x64) is genuine. It helped to know that you were able to get the most recent version of Temple+ to work on Windows 7. I thought you were probably using Windows 8 or above. Your OS being Windows 7 indicates that the most recent version of Temple+ can be made to work on Windows 7, and it therefore is likely to be an issue with my current version of DirectX (even though it shows "DirectX 11" in dxdiag.exe).

You never answered my question:
    It's not asking you for "other suggestions"... the question is asking for the exact solution/method used (such as what file and where you got it) that worked for you as long as it didn't cause any of the OS update issues I mentioned.
    It's the potential issues after installing the current DX11 in Win7 that I'm more concerned about. It's not a waste of effort to try and avoid forced Win10 upgrade or potential data loss.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
Our Host!