Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Anyway, I am ready for the next lot of maps but I am wondering, would you prefer I have a crack at that dialogue converter? It'll take me a couple weeks but would be worth it in the long run. I can always do that later though depending on your plans.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

3. Allyx

Oooo dialogue converter first please Ted, the next batch of maps aren't even started yet.

I've been trying to set my PC up to be a dual boot system, and haven't cracked it yet.

Incidentally, Which OS do you use when you are using World Ed? I've tried everything I can think of to get it running in windows 10 and it just refuses to work.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  4. Shiningted

I've got it going on both Vista and Windows 8 (my machine came with a guarantee of, "free upgrade to 8.1!" Liars, the upgrade won't take). It's an ornery beast to be sure (WorldEd that is - my Win8 machine is a pussy).

EDIT: "Let's poke him with a stick" - ok this mod is worth doing for that line alone :D

5. Allyx

Sweet, I have Vista on disk, I'll get that working, hopefully soon. I'll need to download the service pack 2 patch and maybe some vista drivers for my hardware to get it functional.

6. Allyx

Since we were discussing lighting, it just occurred to me...

In the IE games, players have a lamp button in the UI which doesn't seem to have an effect on actual lighting levels, but does seem to affect encounters while camping in dangerous locales.

I'm uncertain of the exact mechanics, but from experience, random encounters are far more frequent while the lamp is on, if not 100% chance of being ambushed, while restful sleep is possible with the lamp off, though random encounters can still occur.

Could we make a lamp item as an equipable item that affects both random encounter chances during resting and adding a lighting effect - like the fiery axe the guys in the sewers in Verbobonc have? A flaming club, or a necklace with a light spell on it, perhaps both, and more besides.

Hide skill checks within the area of an equipped light source could suffer a circumstantial penalty, and so would survival checks for random encounters.

IIRC light sensitive species (Goblins, Hobgoblins, Orcs and Drow to name a few) also suffer -1 to attack rolls within a magically lit area.

7. Shiningted

Yeah, but who would add Drow???

(Where's the : poke : emoji when I need it???)

Re movable lights / items - I don't think so. There's lighting columns in Protos.tab for everything and you can add lights to everything with WorldBuilder, but I have never got anything to actually emit light - that lights a model, not just have a flaming effect - and I've tried several times. (There's a dark corridor in the Bugbear Cave in KotB that I always wanted to be able to light up if you had a lantern). I also asked Ax Thrower to have a go back in the day, and no luck. Probably easy to cross-pollinate the effects in Temple+ but not sure we could do it. Also, having a lantern to switch on at your campsite to increase chances of an encounter strikes me as bizarre :p I like to sleep peacefully and rarely farm.

EDIT: Did you get the maps going?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Established Member Administrator

The lantern icon actually has nothing to do with lighting whatsoever; it's an indicator for party AI being on or off. When it's on, various AI scripts you've set for your characters are active. When off, you control the party directly and need to micromanage every step, as they won't take any action on their own.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

And there's already the campfire in the one RE map.

On an only slightly related note, I always thought it'd be cool to play a slide showing your party actually resting somehow when you rest, customized for your location. Like there could be a standard inn one, and one for each of the RE types (woods, swamp, scrub, river), etc. To obviate the effect of "we're all standing here resting" in-game.

10. Allyx

I've already binked the resting videos from IWD, however I don't know how to queue the videos to play when necessary.

There must be a script or something that controls the game.fade_and _pass_time command or whatever it is.

11. Gaear

Yeah, I assume you'd have to add that script to randomencounter.py. Just search for the game.fade command (without the teleport part) in the Co8 mod - one of the numbers in parenthesis refers to a movie's number as defined in movies.mes (I think it is?) in the modules folder. I can go over it more specifically later if you want.

Slides are really better though, because they don't involve mode switching. When ToEE plays an actual movie it may have to switch modes on the user's machine, which can often lead to blank screen times that are almost as long as the movie itself.

12. Allyx

Yes, and you have done an amazing job mate, a few small gripes though:

The exit door icon should be on the left hand side wall of Old Jed's place, not on the right,

I notice you put doors on the rooms in the inn, they weren't openable in IWD, and were always considered open, but I'll remove the painted on doors soon 'cause I like openable doors, and two doors in each doorway is a little odd.

The first puddle in the Orc caves I don't think is meant to be a puddle at all it's just a darkened area of stone floor.

And finally, would it be possible to put the door icons behind openable doors on the Easthaven main map? Those doors are definitely openable, they open inwards, and the door to 'Aspel's workshop' is meant to be locked.

I'll have to go through the maps in near infinity to see where all the containers are too.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  13. Allyx

Ah cool, we can just wholesale ignore that and move on then.
    Fair enough, I can grab some still shots for slides, and test the binked movies from the original, and see how each play out in testing.

Maybe I can add the movies as an optional addon mod.

14. Gaear

It's just food for thought, Al. I don't know that mode switching thing happens with everybody, but it does for me, and the switch lasts about half the length of a vignette movie, for example. Which when you think about it is pretty ridiculous. ;)

Slides are just a low-impact, more stable way of doing things, albeit also more nickle-dime-ish. But if you embrace that aesthetic (it's been done in other games deliberately, like Max Payne) and apply it consistently (and well) like we ended up doing for the modpack, it can work out pretty happily.

You can also fire a sequence of slides btw.

15. Allyx

How would I fire a sequence of slides? I'll need to make a few for the narrated introduction to the prologue and the demo end sequence before entering the Kuldahar pass map.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
Our Host!