How do I get to the Kobold chief?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Forgalz, May 24, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Ok, so I didn't take Korrac and much later
    found his party and the rescued dwarves hanging around in the Kobold cave. The female kobolds are in a trance staring at the south-eastern corner of their great hall, and the chief with the rest is appraently holed up in a room in the NE with a "magically held" door. My wizard can glitch in after she casts Open on the door and the spell fizzles, so the kobolds agree to hand over their loot and teleport away. But they leave a locked chest and a locked barrel behind
    that my wizard cannot open (should have taken Knock ...)

So how do I get my rogue in there? There must be a way to open this door?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Ummm? You need to unlock a magical door - Knock. That's all there is to it. There may or may not be a chime of opening in the game - I don't remember - otherwise just wait til you level, I guess.

3. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Well, I have an enchantress who takes enchantment spells if possible ...

So I recruited Lorin, leveled him up to 3rd and used the old Warp Wood. Worked like a charm (or even better in this case). Leveling Lorin was a bit of a drag, though, as I had already cleared out most areas. Had to wander up and down the road for 2000xp worth of encounters. On the bright side, I finally found some wolves and could harvest some pelts for the trader.

4. Shiningted

Warp wood - brilliant :) For the record, there's another magically locked door that warp wood will get you through that Knock won't - I've said enough.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Oh you sneaky... *ok, so I don't really know your parents' marital status when you were born*... I KNEW there had to be a way to get in there but couldn't puzzle it out!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. Shiningted

Yeah, I said I would put a back door on that room :)

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I have returned! I have some time to play again while I am wrapping things up in Taiwan and preparing to move to Europe.

My question is about getting Warp Wood to work. My 4th level druid tries to cast the spell - I select the spell, click on the door, then try to click on the green button above his portrait, and nothing happens. Oh, I am playing in full-screen not windows view.

8. Shiningted

Welcome back, Basil.

I'll test this out but can I ask, the door you are referating to is the Kobold Chief's? It shouldn't require the green button to force-cast, it should just happen (I think. Maybe you get multiple targets). Anyway, can you confirm that's the door? As I said I will test it and let you know.

Also, you said above his portrait - were you doing this in combat then?

Actually, you CAN do 1 item/level, so yes it should work with the green button. Dare i ask if you just hit return to see what happened?

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

With a multiple target spell, don't you normally hit the space bar to cast it?

10. Shiningted

Yeah, sorry, I meant space bar not return.

I've tried to test this but can't replicate the damn magically locked door, so I went digging and found you only get that if the Cave has been cleared by Two Swords and co. Is that what happened, Basil? I'll keep trying either way.

EDIT: Ok, I checked it Basil, and yes it's a bit hit and miss. It most certainly can be done, but when you try to target the door, it acts as though there are two different items there (or maybe something behind the door that is messing with your aim). Anyways, I checked it in WorldEd and no, there is just one door (and nothing else) which is being persnickety about aiming at. But with a bit of perseverance it will certainly work.

Don't forget to have a yarn to Two Swords and Brother Fist while you are there, the chatter is interesting albeit I found one broken dlg line. Also, if you now recruit them, I think they are a level higher than if you took them from the pub.

2nd EDIT: Basil, if you do reply, can you confirm this is the door you are talking about? Because other doors may not work so well - the game defaults doors to be stone and Warp Wood won't effect them. Declare them by all means (if they look wooden then its a bug) and yes, I tried to manually set all the important doors to wood for just such an eventuality, but probably missed some.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  11. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Shiningted and Sirchet - I apologize for not replying sooner. As mentioned earlier, I was in the midst of packing and relocating. I am now no longer in Taiwan (27 years there); I'm now in the EU. As far as the door issue goes, I apologize for not being more clear. I was refering to the door in the Wizard's tower. I got fed up with the constructs riddles, so destroyed it, then couldn't enter the wizard's room. I'll see if I can get it to work based on your suggestions. I have a feeling it will since I believe there was a hint mentioned above about warp wood. If not, then perhaps this particular door is also made of stone.

[Edit] It works. Thanks dudes!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
Our Host!