Icewind Dale: ToEE - Total Conversion

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Allyx, May 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, obviously the various types of giants can have temporary stand in models ready to go, Frost Salamanders and Yuan-ti will probably be regular salamanders and/or flame brothers for the time being.

New models need not be ready to ship immediately, but more of a work in progress, and can be added as and when they are good and ready.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Those are relatively easy cases, I'm thinking moreso of ones that aren't remotely like anything in ToEE. I don't know if there are any, but I can give some examples from IWD2 (hooked horrors and driders, and some of the unique boss monsters).

3. Allyx

For Driders, I was thinking of starting with the Lamia model and pulling the body into a spider shape, and each leg into 2 legs and making the connecting membrane invisible so it would appear to have 8 legs, even though it still has only 4.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

That's exactly the problem case I had in mind: It *might* look ok as a static model (and that's no small if), but it'll still probably be awkward when animated, because it's a very different body type. For such cases, it's worth to at least consider replacing them with something based on native ToEE models - e.g. change Driders into Araneas. It has to be weighed against how plausible it is plot-wise of course.

5. Allyx

I must admit I have no knowledge of creating 3d animations, is it possible to merge certain sections of existing models/animations to achieve the desired result? IE copying the Lamia torso and arms and attaching it to a spiders body? I imagine it's quite a bit harder than I just described, but is it possible at all?

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

@XVicious had experimented with driders a couple of years ago, but I don't think he ever posted a model.

7. Allyx

Driders aren't required for Icewind Dale 1, but are for other IE games.

Most of the new monsters required should just need a new skin on an old model, EG:
    Frost Giant, Fire Giant, Frost Salamander, Snow Troll, Ice Troll, Cyclops, Mummy.

Some new models have already been made EG: Iron Golem.

Some need a new model EG: Yaun-ti, Histachii, Bladed Skeletons.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can do skins for you if you like. Easy enough. (Did it with our stone giants and a few others.)

AFAIK you can't mix and match model elements with our current capabilities.

9. Allyx

I might have to look into the NWN2 Modding forums, maybe their 3d models and animations can be extracted and converted to work in ToEE. It would certainly save some headaches if it works.

10. Allyx

@Gaear, Those skins would be very helpful, check the bestiary link I posted previously for the variations required.

I'm hoping the bladed skeleton varieties would be easy to make from existing skeletons, just stretching their arms into scythe blades seems easy enough, Yuan-ti are pretty much salamanders with snake heads and a green skin.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If you mean stretching the skins, it doesn't really work that way. You have to think of them as 3D drawings basically, so when you edit elements they 'wrap' around the model (and very unintuitively at that). I don't know it's even possible to really change any sizes, mainly just colors and some details on the surface.

12. Allyx

I meant stretching the model's arms for the bladed skeletons, like XVicious did with with the lizard model to make a turtle.

13. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

I feel relieved that Gaear can help do monster textures

that is in fact time comsuming in its own right.

about resizing textures

i believe that every texture in Toee can actually be rezized to a higher rezolution

in fact.

the limitation is this;

the texture must be in a power of 2

like 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024

and must be square; must have equal hight and width in powers of 2.

Further more

in addition ; resizing a texture and resolution
    in fact changes the hardware requirements to run
    the toee game.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sectoring coming along, some maps finished :)
    Also, redid maplist.mes with a matching naming convention to ground.mes (so AR1004_House_1, that sort of thing). No 'day' or 'night', of course.

15. Allyx

I'm gonna have to look at KotB soon, figure out how to change the cursor, scrolling background and text on the main menu.

Incidentally, would anyone here happen to have any panoramic pictures of the view from atop a snow-capped mountain? Preferably 360° rotation? If not I'll search the internet to see if a suitable image can be found.

Last edited: May 26, 2016
Our Host!