Verbobonc and then?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Mar 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

I just got my party to Verbobonc! Alleluiah!

After shopping and exploring a bit, I'm not sure what I should do. What to do after entering this place? How to progress the plot?

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

There should be postings listed on the wall near where you arrive that will send you to different places in the city. Talk to a few folks around town and maybe visit the city government building- I think someone there needs help with something...

3. Comrade Bingo

Comrade Bingo Member

Yes, go in the City Hall to present yourself (you have to ask to see the Viscount, because he will no be in his room otherwise). Notices for quest will be available from different persons on the notice board outside.

Also make sure to visit the ruined church of Pelor and the new church (not sure if those quests turn up on the notice board).

You can buy the Castle from a shop in the Merchant district. This will open up some minor quests.

You may not be able to complete everything. A couple of quests require a very high spot skill level to find what you are looking for.

4. Pelador

Pelador Member

I bloody hated that quest where you have to investigate the kidnapping in the sewers. Tedious as heck.

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Indeed.

6. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

So, don't do it. I did it once, that was enough imo.

7. Comrade Bingo

Comrade Bingo Member

It was a pain to try it the first time, but after learning how to do it I actually enjoyed it.

The new content is excellent but there are a few things I just had to look up in the walkthrough.

8. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I find almost all of the NC very enjoyable. Just not the kidnapping quest. Too much minutia for the meager payoff imo.

9. Pelador

Pelador Member

I didn't enjoy much of the new content. Welkwood bog was good and the arena. But I found the Verbobonc stuff pretty tedious. Having said that, it was cool getting to fight a dragon.

10. Comrade Bingo

Comrade Bingo Member

I like the ghostly feel of this quest and I like the ending. To me the drawbacks were worth it. I litterally re-started a whole new game just so I could get the required Spot check for this quest and the Rabbit Hole.

I feel it's meant to be more like a real role-playing investigation, but its still has tightly scripted events with unrealistic requirements. The mechanic of the game doesn't lend itself well to this kind of quest. Plus, since the game is so prone to bugs, you never know if what happens is really supposed to happen. It's very frustrating, because rescuing children is a must-do quest or I couldn't look Boo in the eyes again. Like Amii's quest it is impossible to get it right the first time.

I liked the Slaver's quest because of the background info you get on the bad guys, althougt it feels a bit bare-boned when you get down to brass tacks.

My favorite NC is the Hickory Branch, because it is a whole new map with great strategic combat.
    First time around I thought it was easy then I got slaughtered by the gnolls. The second time I sneaked into the cave, cast Stinking Cloud at the group around the fire, and killed the chieftain easily. Then I got out and destroyed the Lich with a single Turn Undead. A good day. I didn't bothered to collect any info. I'm not going to advance that ranger's career just for fun. What does it matter, the command structure of that army when they're all dead?

Isewein likes this.
Our Host!