Crafted Weapons and Limits

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Endarire, Feb 7, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Greetings, all!

I've heard that in Co8 NC 8.1.0, there's a limit of 3 damage types (besides +X) taking effect. Thus, a +1 Keen Holy Icy Burst Shocking Burst Glaive will work, but add Flaming Burst to that and the Flaming Burst won't work. How true is that?

Can I have the same affix (Holy, Shocking Burst) apply to a weapon more than once?

Can I use the elemental burst affixes to increase my weapon's crit multiplier beyond x4? Does that work properly?

Can I use greater magic weapon with a high enough caster level (16+) to give myself a +4 or +5 weapon? If so, does this work properly with a Holy Icy/Shock Burst weapon?

Can I use magic vestment with a high enough caster level (16+) to give myself a +4 or +5 item?

Do keen edge, the Keen property, and the Improved Critical feat stack? (Normally in tabletop they don't. I'm asking for this game specifically.)

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This one I can answer - no, they do not stack in ToEE, as per RAW.

3. florian1

florian1 Established Member

I just tested a weapon that had four enhancements in addition to the basic +3 to hit/damage: holy, flaming, frost, and shock. Shock was the last enhancement added.

The very first attack made in combat (I only did one-on-one fights) never included shock damage, but every attack in that same combat afterwards did include shock damage (along with all the other types of damage: with Holy showing up as Slashing). So, I don't know if the game only allowed three added damage types on the first attack, or if it simply discarded the last damage type added to the weapon (i.e. maybe if it had five damage types added as enhancements, four might be allowed on the first attack). That would take further testing which I am not going to do.

But there does seem to be a small bug on that first attack.

4. Kosiciel

Kosiciel Member

AFAIK game allows 4 damage types/additions, including sneak attack damage (which could be your first attack, hence no shock added). That's why rogues shouldn't use holy tri-elemental enchanted weapons (which would be perfect to have exactly +10 enchantment = base +3, then +1 for Keen and three +2 for bursts and/or holy, but ToEE doesn't include base enchantment into +10 limit).

5. florian1

florian1 Established Member

Yes, there was sneak attack. So that is consistent with what you wrote.

Our Host!