Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ooooops I forgot about the lose file fixes, good catch. ;)

2. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Any chance..?

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

According to the 8.1.0 changed, found in your installation folder (Temple/docs_Co8 8.1.0 New Content/Circle of Eight Modpack 8.1.0 - Release Notes):

"-- Cloudkill - corrected casting particle effects from Enchantment to Conjuration, corrected so kills from spell award XP and are logged."

The same was done for about 10 other spells like "Finger of Death", "Circle of Death", "Blasphemy", "Slay Living", etc.

It looks like the change that was made gives each enemy creature in the AOE 1 point of damage (made 0 by temporary invulnerability), but that's enough to trigger award XP's.

I'm gonna guess that the variation in XP, and why it still doesn't work some times is that creatures who drift into the cloud after the initial casting don't get that point of damage.

...maybe :shrug:

4. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Tried re-activating the module. Still no screams, still no ghosts. I guess I'll just have to write this one off.

5. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

@AlanC9
    Re Fear of the Ghosts quests, this might seem basic, but do you have the prerequisites for the quests to start? (i.e. did you have the Big three encounter, did you kill all three of them?)

6. messedup

messedup Crazy Warrior Supporter

"Big three encounter"? All you need it to purchase the castle of lords. I just did this quest. No encounters before it.

7. marc1967

MAJOR SPOILER:
    You need to have killed Zert, Turuko, and Kobort to have the quest activated. I'm not sure if you need to have killed them when they ambush you, or just killed them at all.
    END SPOILER

8. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Yeah, that happened. Besides, I did see a ghost the first time I rested in the castle. Can't rest there anymore.

9. messedup

Also after the moathouse, did you kill Zert, Tuurko, and Kobort?

10. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

Yep. Thought I said that.

11. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Now that I think, your situation it rings a bell. I'm sure I had it in the past. Unfortunatelly, for the life of me, I don't remember the circumstances.. I have a hunch, for some reason, that it has something to do with the ambush. For instance, one of them wasn't dead but unconscious, or , more likely, I charmed one of them, then killed after battle ( thus, maybe , breaking some parameters? ) In any way it looks like a broken/corrupted game. Is not necessary a faulty download/installation, sometimes is something done during play ( for instance some "naughty" console using... . or anything else, ToEE can be very temperamental, although being the best game ever!! )

12. messedup

Just shift-clicked on the non-conducted metal Orc shield+1 from Hickory Branch. It says "Placeholder".

Co8 NC.

13. AlanC9

AlanC9 Member

@ Zalmoxes: maybe it was a charm thing. That fight was a long time ago. Mostly I remember it being tough, since the party was just about out of spells. It's highly likely that I would have tried to land a charm on Kobort or Zert if I had had one left.

But how come the resting ghosts appear at all if the questline is busted? Come to think of it, what's the design intent here anyway? Why can't we attack the rest-appearing ghosts the same way we attack the other ghosts? Or is that another wonky engine limit?

14. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

Wouldn't know what to say re questline, other than " one of those oddities"...
    As about the design of the quest, the way I seeit is a "fight your inner demons" thing, along with the acceptance of the consequence of your actions.

15. marc1967

Greater Dispel Magic and Dispel Magic

Dispel Magic needs a one-line fix to limit the caster level to 10 (as per the rules), otherwise Dispel Magic is exactly the same as Greater Dispel Magic.

Greater DM properly limits the caster level to 20 with this line:

spell.caster_level = min( 20, spell.caster_level )

I assume Dispel Magic had no such limit since the game was never meant to go past level 10, but since it now does, Dispel Magic should have the caster level limit at 10:

spell.caster_level = min( 10, spell.caster_level )

Our Host!