Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I'm running windows 7, new install of 8.1.0. I recently disabled KOTB to reactivate the TOEE module.

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hmm, that's really strange, this type of setup (Co8 8.1.0 on Windows 7) was extensively tested in the last couple years... Anyway, we'll think what to do best about this, thanks for reporting and thanks for pinpointing the exact cause and devising a solution!

- Agetian

3. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

I am on windows 8.1 and it happens every since I got this machine. The game is not in the programs folder, it is in the games folder but I have tried running as administrator anyway to no avail. I would love a solution so as not to be forced to waste time watching the movie when I could be playing. It did not happen with vista.

4. Agetian

Hmm, must be something relatively new then that became more actualized with the latest Windows versions and updates. Is anybody else getting this issue?

- Agetian

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I just tested running the game from TFE-X, first in fullscreen mode, then in windowed mode, with the intro disabled, and the game ran perfectly for me (i.e. no lock up of the mouse after the main menu loaded, even while I stayed in the main menu for approximately 2 minutes).

Winston, my hunch is that it is sjbs cursors mod that is causing your mouse to become unresponsive after a few seconds in the game's main menu when running TFE-X with intro disabled. Are you using a custom software driver for your mouse? If so, which software driver are you using?

Hey, Winston, are you using a clean install of the Co8 modpack 8.1? The reason why I ask is because I remember that there was a serious problem with Co8 modpack 7.9 where the help.tab file was corrupt and causing all sorts of serious problems, and that you needed to do a completely clean install of Co8 modpack 8.0 or Co8 modpack 8.1 in order to be rid of the residual problem caused by the corrupt help.tab file from Co8 modpack 7.9. Have you ever had the Co8 modpack 7.9 installed on your computer?

Here's my computer's setup (for analysis purposes):

Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit)

default mouse driver with Windows 8.1 Pro

ToEE game installed to C:\games directory

Circle of Modpack 8.1.0 New Content Edition activated

all default drivers for all of my hardware (except for my ASUS motherboard, and the latest version of NVIDIA GeForce Experience software for my NVIDIA GeForce graphics card)

I run TFE-X not as an administrator (naughty me, but I initially forgot to install, activate, and run the game and patches and TFE-X as administrator because I am new to Windows 8 - when using Windows XP, I never had to bother about such bullshit).

motherboard with Intel Z97 chipset (LGA 1150 socket)

Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4 GHz processor

32 GB RAM

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. WinstonShnozwick

I just have a normal logitech m310, and the problem isn't the mouse, it's the entire game freezing, in that the program is unresponsive in the task manager.

I can't actually remember if this is a clean install or not, or if I have 7.9 residual. I do always fully follow the instructions to remove old versions of the modpack.

7. sonofliberty

Mine is a clean install of 8.1. I have the same problem where even task manager cannot close the game when it locks up with the intro disabled. It doesn't matter if my mouse is plugged in or not.

8. WinstonShnozwick

Hey, sonofliberty, can you try testing the methods I described on the previous page for this problem? Navigate to your folder and manually rename all of the logo videos but allow the introcinematic to remain seen by the game so it runs. Then block ONLY the intro cinematic and run the game a second time. I would be very interested in the results you get (if the game freezes or not).

9. sonofliberty

I tried it and it still crashed. Please list each step you want me to take individually as if talking to an idiot. I suspect I messed up with the block only the the intro part. How do I do that?

10. WinstonShnozwick

Conduct two tests.

-Navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\movies (or wherever your directory is)
    -Rename AtariLogo, TroikaLogo, and WotCLogo to something that is not detected by the game (I just added ".bak" to each one of the names)
    -Launch the game from TFE-X without pressing any other options, they will not play and you should go straight to loading + movie (and no crash)

For the second test, do the same above, but ONLY rename introcinematic, (put .bak at the end of it), so that AtariLogo, TroikaLogo, and WotCLogo are all named their original name (detected by the game and they play). Run the game from TFE-X without pressing any other options, this variation should cause a game freeze.

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I think that I see where you are going wrong, Winston (I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier). Installing ToEE to the Program Files directory (folder) has been known to cause problems with the game when using Windows Vista/7/8 (it's something to do with those operating systems denying the game permission to do things when the game is running if the game is installed in the Program Files dirctory. The Circle of Eight team give clear instructions to install ToEE to another folder (such as C:\games for example) in order to avoid any problems with the game when using any of these operating systems.

Does the GOG version of the game automatically install the game to the Program Files directory (folder) or can you manually choose a different directory to install the game to? Try doing a clean install of the game into a directory (folder) that isn't the Program Files folder and see if that solves your problem.

If it doesn't, then my last hunch is that your anti-virus software (assuming that you are running anti-virus software) is causing the problem with your game. Which anti-virus software are you using (if any)?

12. WinstonShnozwick

I don't have the GOG version. I've owned the jewel case version since it came out.
    I don't have antivirus software besides windows defender/security essentials.

I could try moving it to a different directory.

13. Agetian

Ok, so far it seems like we have a problem that is affecting several people. Can the others who have this issue confirm that following Winston's manual step posted above (namely, manually renaming introcinematic.bik0 back to introcinematic.bik) helps solve the problem?

- Agetian

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just FYI, Windows Security Essentials is known to be a problem AV with ToEE. At least earlier versions were. (I doubt it has anything to do with the movies issue though.)

15. WinstonShnozwick

The problem is that introcinematic CAN NOT be touched, it must be detected by the game and run or else a freeze happens.

I've never had any viruses detected from ToEE.

Our Host!