Vapor/Abandon/Mystery-ware

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gaear, Feb 26, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not sure if there are many Half Life fans here, but this is a funny and well done amateur video production/critique of Valve Software's apparent abandonment of their signature property - the Half Life series, and crowbar-wielding Gordon Freeman.

The original Half Life dropped in 1998, I believe it was, followed by Half Life 2 in 2004, and the 'Episodes' - smaller, more frequent installments - in 2006 and 2007 respectively. Episode 2 ended with a tear-jerking cliffhanger. Episode 3 was scheduled to arrive hot on its heels following the new episodic model.

That was 8 years ago, and today, no mention is even made of Episode 3, let alone Half Life at all, by Valve. They literally starved their devoted Half Life fans to death. Cray! ;)

Anyway, here's what Black Mesa and City 17 surviving Gordon Freeman's doing these days.

[YOUTUBE]i2NKOjYOuGQ[/YOUTUBE]

2. silo25

silo25 Established Member

3. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Half Life was one of the rare non-fantasy games that I played on my PC- really miss those days. And I'd sign up in a hurry for Half Life 3...:yes:

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Never got into Half-Life itself - the 'puzzles' were too repetitive imho - but CounterStrike dominated many a LAN party, and I still play day of Defeat to this day. Ahhh, the power of modding...

Very well done video.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'd guess their engineering team is just busy with their cash cow, Steam...

6. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

They've been working on Source 2 so there's a slim chance we'll see it somewhere down the line.
    Now, the problem is the game cannot possibly meet the expectations everyone has for it. There's also a huge possibility VALVE are no longer interested in making single-player games. It seems that they looked at their profits and went the F2P online game route (DOTA2).

7. Salk

Salk Established Member

Valve to me is the past.

Unfortunately reality tells me they are the future.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

If you're into the computer game Half-Life 2, then you might be interested in a (new?) mod for Half-Life 2 called Transmissions: Element 120. Here's a review of the mod:

[YOUTUBE]qJ27NGeTpis[/YOUTUBE]

Our Host!