kotb 1.01 locks up

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by tomthefighter, Nov 7, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

I've tried to install the "full" download of kotb and when I attempt to actually run it, the game locks up before I can even choose any of the game options, party alignment, etc.

I've tried a fresh install of toee ( from the "Anthology Master Collection" ) and I'm still having the problem.

I've run Co8 NC 8.01 without difficulty for months on this system ( Quad Core Xeon, 12GB ECC Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 580 video, Win7-64 Pro ).

Anyone else run into this problem or do I get the honor of being #1 ?

Thanks all for your time;

Tomthebefuddeledfighter

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What is showing on the screen when it locks up? "Initialising sector data", "clearing protos" etc? Also, maybe try disabling the intro movie.

3. xandros2000

xandros2000 Member

If you've got the intro movies disabled, reenable them. It was doing that to me too, and I tried reseting the movies to play and now it works.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thanks Xandros. Tom, can you confirm that works (or not) please?

ShiningDidn'tCallTomtheFighterByHisFullNameButIsSureHeUnderstandsTed

5. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Ahh good evening Mr. Shining one!

Yes as Mr. X has reported, it appears as though disabling the entro movies causes the game to lock up when one gets to the screen where you're prompted to start a new game, load a game, quit, etc.

Why do I have to wear sun glasses whenever I look at your avatar?

Tomthenowblindedfighter

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Same issue here.
    To shorten load up time, you can manually disable some of the movies, the important thing is that an 'intro' is played. Thus I renamed the troika logo movie file to the intro cinematic file, and got rid of the rest.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It actually seems like an alternate on/off issue, at least at times. (And of course with ToEE, nothing is absolute.) e.g. -

1. A player activates the Co8 module. The game won't launch unless s/he deactivates movies. (Remember how that used to be the big bugaboo?) S/he does it and thinks all is well from that point on.

2. They next activate the KotB module, but now that game won't launch. It can be made to launch by now activating movies again.

We've seen this pattern a number of times, with one noteable and documentable instance being sirchet going from Co8 to KotB. Works fine with one, not the next.

It seems to me that there would be absolutely no difference in the launch of the two games, as they're running on the same base - ToEE with patch 2 installed. That means that some trigger associated with playing movies - the switch to scaling or not, depending on unique system settings for example, or maybe even just loading the Bink driver or something like that - may be confusing the game.

8. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

>with one noteable and documentable instance being sirchet

Somewhat self explanatory - Sirchet is well.... Shirchet ( maybe his kitten saved him - don't know they can be a bit fickle when not fed ).

>That means that some trigger associated with playing movies - the switch to scaling or
    >not, depending on unique system settings for example, or maybe even just loading the
    >Bink driver or something like that - may be confusing the game.

In the Microsoft world I believe this is known as a *feature* :)

Tomthefighter

Our Host!