Walkthrough anyone?

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Gruber, Nov 11, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gruber

Gruber Member

DANGER: FULL OF SPOILERS!!!

This seems like a good module, and finally finished!
    I could not find a walkthrough or guide anywhere. So, is there someone who can write a walkthrough, post maps etc?

The setting and quests seem quite interesting, but there is not a 'natural story progression' guideline and one never knows when there's been a progress in solving a quest or main storyline. Is there a main storyline at all?

I'm stuck all the time and losing a lot of time just wandering around and stuff...

Here's what I've been through so far:

Created neutral good party. Started campaign.
    Went to the gate. Entered.

Took the swamp quest - Walking in their Footsteps. Fought swamp creatures, found lizardmen tribe. Stucked ?! Can not report to Bailiff at the moment, but update below.
    Took Lizardmen vs Predator quest. Killed the dragon.
    Killed all the lizardmen afterwards (accidentally).

Took the forest quest - Arachnophobia. CLeared the forest. Found underground caves. Found and saved the merchant. Accepted reward to enter merchants guild.
    Quest finished, reported to Bailiff at the keep.

Took the Suffragete City quest - from Porteous the Provisioner whose wife would like to join the guild. Solved by speaking to guild master after saving a merchant from forest caves.

Found merchants guild and joined. Took the quest Who's raiding the Trading? Not any progress so far. Stucked.

Spoken to Flay the undertaker in the keep. Took The Silk road quest. Found spider Silk in the forest. When I bring him the silk he gives another quest to find small spider. No luck so far.

When i exit his house a stranger approaches with the offer to join one of the darker guilds. Did not want to decide this right now so i loaded previous save. Any info on this issue? Is it worth it?

Took the Raiders of the Southern forest quest. No luck on any progress so far.

Took the Caravan of courage quest. Went to the forest. Found Ma, fought a druid with Bears, found the shoe on a pole. Nothing else over there. What now?

If anyone would like to add more info, their own discoveries, secrets etc feel free to join the thread. Maybe we can make a walk through out of this.

I'll keep playing and posting.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There was talk of someone making a walkthrough some time back but it doesn't seem to have survived gestation, so I might do it myself (is been on my mind a bit lately).

There is no major meta-plot yet, since the plots are meant to be alignment based and those are still being finalised. For now its just what B2 was, I think, always meant to be - take some starting adventurers to the Borderlands to have adventures, and see what happens. No BG style story was ever, I think, intended, just natural progression. There is an ending, though, once you have faced the main source of Evil in the area at the Caves of Chaos.

A couple of hints to help you along:

- Flay's spider quest is not fulfilled by getting him an actual spider, it's a life-cycle step along. You should have encountered the 'answer' among the Lizardmen. If you haven't made it to the Mad Wizard's Tower yet, the Lizardman Cave is worth a second visit anyway.

- with the boots on poles, and any other official quests that you advance but haven't finished, go see the Bailiff.

- for the 'Dark Guild' - of course you should join!!!

3. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

After rescuing the merchant from the spider caves I could never join the guild. How do you do that? Also, how do you get the guy to ask you to join the "dark guild"? That never came up. How many other quests did I miss?

4. Gruber

Gruber Member

I've been playing a bit more, so here's the update.

After saving the merchant from the forest caves, I went to the Keep and spoken to the guildmaster. I do not remember the exact dialogue option but try saving before and try it around a bit. That's what I usually do.

- I've found out that it is indeed important to speak to Bailiff after every quest progress, so for that i give a :thumbsup:

Who's raiding the Trading? quest: I went to Bailiff about that, he suggested i go and speak to the guard Captain and Cavalry commander. The guard Captain seems to be a good fella, so that leaves the cavalry commander. After going to the inner keep to speak to Cavalry commander (in the cavalry stable at the north) there is no dialogue option at all. (?)

However, getting into the keep and speaking to the old dwarf guard (that stands by the circle in the middle of the yard) leads you to the Swamp tower map (WHY?!). I find this to be strongly inconsistent with the story and quests so far. Anyway, there is a goblin in the tower that keeps the entrance to the mad wizard. You have to do some maths to answer the riddle here (i like it that you have a lot of answers as dialogue options, so you have to really solve the problem). This leads to The Swamp Tower fed-ex quest which is already pretty much explained here. After solving this puzzle there is a forced encounter with the mad wizard in the tower basement. (not very pleasant for my party :dizzy:). After dealing with the wizard, the tower seems to be cleared out and nothing more to do here. Report to Bailiff as usual. This

Went to the south-east end of the map (the saved merchant gave the location of suspicious camp). Not much to do here except meeting Axel, who is some kind of evil landlord here. In order to speak to him properly, one needs some charisma, diplomacy or similar skills, bardic knowledge or so (I like this a lot and the fact that it is properly explained in the dialogue window :thumbsup:). If you haven't already, you have to earn your rep by dealing with the lizardmen and clearing the road to the keep, one way or the other. If you chose your dialogue options wisely, he gives you the quest to establish a trade route for him. Being already a member of the merchant guild helps to get the quest, but you can get it through dialogue anyway i think.

Back to the keep, spoken to the guildmaster but coudn't work it out with him (maybe i needed some more credibility?). He pointed me to speak to Castellan about that. (But where is he?)

Killing the mad wizard in the Swamp Tower and clearing the Swamp Tower quest and reporting to Bailiff also solves Walking in their footsteps quest.
    http://www.co8.org/forum/images/smilies/a_003.gif
    After solveing these quests the new one opens up: The Caves of Chaos.

Ok, now to the caves :)
    A lot of entrances over there, my pick was the first to the left (clockwise). Some goblins over there, they look cute so didn't want to kill them. Take me to your chief. When speaking to their chief one can find out the basic info about the Caves plot. He also gives you the task to find out who loots his storage room (easy enough). In this cave you can find some masterwork spears (which is great, especially masterwork long spear)!

Back to Bailiff after this encounter. Who finds this very important and arranges a dinnes with Castellan! :) A chance to use some wits, I hope...

5. Gruber

Gruber Member

As much as I've wanted to, I could not find that answer among the lizardmen (maybe the tiger figurines?). I also went back there before the wizard tower, but found nothing more. Some spoilers maybe?

6. Shiningted

Yeah what the hey. The Lizardmen should have had, in their possession,
    some spider eggs
    : that's what will fulfil Flay's needs. Sick sick man that he is.

The 'getting sent to the Swamp' thing with the Dwarf sounds like a flat out bug. Otherwise, try to get back in and speak to the Cavalry Commander again. The first time he throws you out, for memory, for questioning the lack of horses - that's just an inside gag about ToEE's lack of a horse model. Go back again and speak to him.

Glad you're having fun :)

7. Gruber

Gruber Member

Yes, I am enjoying. Thanks.

Speaking to the dwarf regarding the investigation definitely sent me to the wiz tower.

When I've found the spiderweb i did not want to give it to Flay at that moment in order not to trigger "the underground guild". I have not spoken to him at all since. I left the spiderweb in a case in the inn. So, now that I've tried to bring it to him and trigger the approach from the corrupted guard, this does not happen! I wonder is this a bug or it is because i've showed some good-nature side resolving the quests and having dinner with the castellan..

I've also tried speaking to the cavalry commander again after he dumped me - but always the same. A bug perhaps or I need a trigger?

During nighttime, in the pub, I've spoken to Sef Gallowglass, regarding the merchants raids problem. He says to speak to the Scribe to whom he delegated the business to. Going to do it now.

The red hooded lady asked me to kill the dog. That did not seem logical to me and I went through dialogue which led me to the quest to resolve a holy man women-abuser maniac. Spoiler:
    Went to the northern forest, got ambushed. Went to Hermit, but nothing happens. No brigands attacking him either. Went back to her with the note to ambush my party but there are no logical dialogue options. She just asks me if i did the quest and i can respond 'not yet'. Any thoughts on this? Should i kill the Hermit? I would not like to, does not seem logical as we are NG party, and he seems to have some role in the plot...

8. Shiningted

Ok.... the spider silk has nothing to do with the 'other' Guild, Flay is the undertaker. If you still have any spider eggs (you should have gotten some from either the Lizard Chief or his treasure chest) take them to Flay. If you're holding off seeing Flay since leaving his place triggers the 'other' Guild, that's a bug from 1.0.0 (the positioning) that I thought was fixed in 1.0.1: are you sure you're using the latest version of the game? It's a minor thing though.

If you haven't spoken to the Scribe, by all means do and then go see the Cavalry Commander an let me know what happens. This is one of those long-chain-of-events things that h to be done in a precise order. No meta-gaming in future!

The inability to confront the red hooded lady after the ambush is one of the clearest 'unfinished' bits of the game, its on the list for fixing for the next release (though not at the top of the list). The baddies either ambush you (if they have reason to) or attack the hermit (if they don't have reason to go for you), not both. The Hermit IS plot-relevant, for other reasons -let's just say a mysterious lady in red is not the only one who walks the Keep at night :)

9. Gruber

Gruber Member

In the meantime I've spoken to Scribe, he pointed me to Cavalry commander and finally he is eager to talk. So, I went to see the Cleric and he says the young acolyte is the one serving the cavalry prayers. He does not want to speak to me. :( Stuck again..

After having a dinner with Castellan (well done; behaving myself properly, impressed all the knights, being a gentleman etc) he asked me to get my hands dirty in Chaos Caves. Don't know why I couldn't ask him about the deal with Lord Axel or the Merchants Caravan problem?

The Caves of Chaos
    Ok, went there, met a Bugbear chief, he wants me to rob a specific caravan (this is the opportunity hard to resist :chainsaw:). My response: 1) Made a save 2) to infinity and beyond! druids vs samurai big time. Back to the future. Loaded the savegame, went back to Bugbear chief with no armor, killed him instead, prisoners liberated, back to Keep. Bailiff seems impressed, but no chance to forward the quest with the Castellan. I figured he needs me to earn a Mark and I've found an iron stamp at bugbear's body?

Now I'm a bit confused. Also, the two ground level caves were empty. The most eastern one had some Kobolds and dwarfs, but not much of a quest/story exept if you go there with the dwarven mercenary from the inn? The kobold chief asked me to get the dwarves out of the barred door, but i dont know how to open them other than using the mercenary dwarf's scroll? Tried everythin i could think of.

Flay the undertaker:
    I went to him, gave him the egg (that i figured by myself), he then asked me to fetch a book from the keep tower. No problem, here it is. Thanks, he says. End of story.

Still no luck to trigger the underground guild quest. Tried a lot of things. Using the last version of the mod, downloaded and installed a couple of days ago. Only triggered if i went to see Flay right after i've got the spiderweb from the forest, and upon exiting his house. Went to sewers, no luck.

About the other things happening during nighttime around the keep: haven't noticed any, been walking around a lot... any leads please?

10. Gruber

Gruber Member

I think you would be able to figure it out from all that's been said so far.
    Joining merchants is easy enough if you go to the guild master just after saving the merchant from the fsecret underground forest cave. He offers a reward, you have to chose a dialogue option for him to put a good word on you if i remember correctly. Then go to the master and try different dialogue options. Went easy for me.

The 'dark guild' is just being discussed, i haven't had the chance to meet them again yet. Probably worth replaying.

11. Gruber

Gruber Member

Stucked again! After the dinner with Castellan and taking the quest to investigate the caves, I went there, fought Kobolds, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears. Cleared all random caves. The quest is now green in my logbook. But i don't know what to do now. If I remember correctly the castellan said to see him again but i can not initiate his showing no matter what u try.

Also, when i speak to the inner bailey guard and ask tell him that i've come to speak to castellan regarding the deal with Axel, nothing happens - I'm being sent to the Inner yard and no castellan anywhere?

please help?

12. Shiningted

This will be from memory so bear with me: the Root of All Chaos quest should turn green when you first tell the Bailiff about the Shrine and Marks - that's all you need to do to fulfil it, discover the existence of the Shrine of Evil Chaos. That earned you your seat at dinner with the Castellan.

If you have already cleared the Caves, got all the Marks etc when you have dinner you can saddle up with some reinforcements and go straight to the Shrine and settle the issue.

Otherwise, when you've got your equipment, spells etc all ready for the final assault on the Shrine, go and see the Dwarf Captain in the Inner Bailey and tell him. That should trigger him getting you some reinforcements, and off you go. If not there is a bug, let me know either way.

Re Axer: the trade quest involves you speaking to the head of the Merchant's Guild, not the Castellan directly (I can't remember if you said you had done that). If you have, and reported back to Axer, your log book should show The Other Silk Road quest as green. That's as far as it goes atm, the whole issue of speaking to the Castellan about that hasn't been fleshed out yet.

13. Gruber

Gruber Member

Ive gound the caves, spoken to the goblin chief and sloved his mini quest with hobgoblinns raiding his stash. Then went to castellan, had dinner with him and he said to pick up all the marks and come back. Well, I've cleaned all caves and took the marks from hobgoblin, bugbear and kobold chiefs, cleaned the cave labirynth with minotaur (yeah minotaur) and came back to the keep but the dwarf says nothing. I'll try again later.

14. Shiningted

Ok... firstly, I'd have to mention the Gnoll Cave, did you see any gnolls?

Also, did you actually get the Goblin Mark?

Our Host!