ToEE Revamp

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Spike, Oct 29, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hello, folks! I hope everyone is well. Been a bit since I visited, and so, I figured I might just pop in with some info my son shared with me ToEE wise. He's running it again tabletop for his group, although via "teh interwebs" (none of them are actually in the same room when they play). After I handed off my wizening tome that is ToEE, he shared a link with me to something I wasn't sure you were aware of.

These guys

http://www.gog.com/

are releasing some Lucasfilm classic games, to include X-Wing & TIE Fighter. Somewhere in all they offer, Spike the younger found this:

http://www.gog.com/game/the_temple_of_elemental_evil

It features updating for a smooth, stable performance on modern gaming equipment. I've been giving it a go for a day or two now, and it truly is a blast from the past. Gorgeous, fun, and the truest D&D experience to be found on the PC. I just cleaned the moathouse, and had a ball doing it.

Don't know how this figures into the modding community. Part of the appeal is running it unmodded at least once, bugs and all. Can't say that I've run into any yet, but hey - I am not all that far along.

Cheers to all, and stay safe!

-S :thumbsup:

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe the GoG version has quite a few of the Co8 fixes in it.

If you like older games redone, you might want to check out Beamdog, they've released a Baldurs Gate 1&2 enhanced edition and just today released Icewind Dale enhanced Edition.

Here's a link Icewind Dale EE

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Great to see you Lord Spike. When you've finished with Zuggy, use your nice new GoG version to install KotB, we've released a full version (& not an Orc ranger in sight ;))

4. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Orc rangers...:no::no::no:

While attempting to find out what version this incarnation was, I did some checking; because believe meh, the bugs are there. IMHO, the players of this version, while enjoying enhanced playability on the new operating systems and computer gear, are relying SOLELY on the Circle of Eight for tech support. Every thread I could find on GoG's support site points to you guys...How's that for Irony? Enough to feed a warren of rust monsters, I'd say.

:thumbsup: to Co8!!

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Welcome back, Spike! Very nice to see you here! :)
    Take your time to look around and experience the latest things we have to offer (the main mod, Co8 Modpack, is up to version 8.1.0 by now, and Keep on the Borderlands is now released in its full version ;)). And yes, the GoG version appears to be patch 2 + some of the Co8 fixes applied, but is definitely not "fully polished" by any means (I don't think there's such a thing as a "fully polished ToEE release") and thus it's mostly an intermediate build for the installation of the full Co8 modpack. Basically, GoG version is great because it makes sure that you don't have to go through the hassle of patching, fighting some very basic issues on modern operating systems, etc., plus it's legally DRM free (no stupid Securom protection), so you don't have to give yourself an excuse of "I had to install a crack simply because there was no technically way to run Securom'ed version on my hardware", you can just enjoy the game with no DRM whatsoever in the first place. But I'd say that installing Co8 mod(s) (and, yes, then coming here for support) is still pretty much essential.

- Agetian

6. Goldmmund

Goldmmund Member

I've been lost in a D&D Online limbo since winter 2006 (yes, it's bloody 8 years of great 3.5e online gaming), until I ran into a scroll (Plans for 2015) of a powerful mage (a DDO game producer), announcing revamp of online version of my beloved game. This, of course, have instantly sent me back to my original plane (Troika's ToEE). What I have witnessed here made me stunned - you have done a great work guys! Going to download new mods & stuff and give it a try to refresh good old memories. Thank you very much for all the efforts!
    Link to ToEE Online revamp version info: http://tinyurl.com/nohul9a

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
Our Host!