ToEE Front-End X 4.0 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by Agetian, Jun 5, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

BUG: ToEE Front-End X installation error

OUCH!

OK, I've been running the 8.0.1 mod successfully for months . . . in my current game my party became permanently invisible and Jaroo & the Cheesemaker couldn't help so I decided to re-activate the module to it's default state. However, the process ended with an error, and so I decided to do a completely clean install (I had backed up my saves). But the install fails every time when the Front End tries to activate for the first time. I've installed clean numerous times without problem, so this one has me bamboozled. I've repeatedly tried clean installs, making sure all traces of the previous installs have been wiped from my computer. Every one ends the same way, with the Front End complaining of an IO error, that at least one item must be listed in a ZIP file, and saying to post the log file here:

Jun 30, 2014 9:11:33 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger log
    INFO: Starting ToEE Front-End X logging service...
    INFO: This is ToEE Front-End X v4.0 running on Maywind Engine on JRE-1.6.0_30-Windows XP-x86
    INFO: Building the portable ToEE directory file list...
    INFO: Trying to set up native look and feel: choosing com.sun.java.swing.plaf.windows.WindowsLookAndFeel...
    INFO: Checking if the game patch level is compatible with the front-end...
    INFO: Looks like patch 2 or better [should work].
    Jun 30, 2014 9:11:43 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger log
    INFO: [Deploying TFE-X]: Checking to see if the installation is really fresh...
    INFO: [Deploying TFE-X]: Inspecting root game directory...
    INFO: Renaming core executable files to cross-platform names...
    INFO: Done renaming core executable files.
    INFO: [Deploying TFE-X]: Creating the default music package...
    INFO: Checking for data/sound/music...
    Jun 30, 2014 9:12:06 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger log
    INFO: [Deploying TFE-X]: Creating the default movies package...
    Jun 30, 2014 9:12:06 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger log
    INFO: Checking for data/movies...
    Jun 30, 2014 9:12:34 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger log
    INFO: [Deploying TFE-X]: Creating the default saved games package...
    Jun 30, 2014 9:13:18 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger error
    SEVERE: IO Exception when building a package: ZIP file must have at least one entry
    Jun 30, 2014 9:13:18 AM org.co8.jtfe.logging.TFELogger error
    SEVERE: java.util.zip.ZipOutputStream.finish(Unknown Source)
    java.util.zip.DeflaterOutputStream.close(Unknown Source)
    java.util.zip.ZipOutputStream.close(Unknown Source)
    org.co8.jtfe.util.ZipIO.writeZipFile(ZipIO.java:81)
    org.co8.jtfe.util.GameIO.writeTFS(GameIO.java:220)
    org.co8.jtfe.ui.MigrationUIUtils.createDefaultModuleSavesPackage(MigrationUIUtils.java:92)
    org.co8.jtfe.ui.MigrationUI$4.doInBackground(MigrationUI.java:160)
    org.co8.jtfe.ui.MigrationUI$4.doInBackground(MigrationUI.java:154)
    javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
    java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
    java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(Unknown Source)
    java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I believe you need to update your java to ver 7.

3. edmortimer

edmortimer Occupy Wall Street

Exactly right, sir.

I had been running the game on this machine without problems, but had installed by copying the install from a USB stick, which itself had been copied from the original install on another computer.

Thanks for the quick response, and now to enjoy Keep on the Borderlands!

4. shiffd

shiffd Member

Hello,
    I am playing on an intel 64 bit macbook pro...
    I got TOEE from GOG.com
    I am trying to get this to work (I am interested in keep on the borderlands)...
    It says I need wine. Last time I installed wine it broke the computer and I had to reinstall everything, lost everything....I want to try to avoid that again.
    Is the wineskin that gog.com packages the game in sufficient? the game (vanilla) is working so far with no trouble. .sh won't work, but I seem to not have Java yet either...I had installed before..but that was before the crash...and Java is really unsafe...osx automatically removes/blocks many versions of it.

Anyway if someone can let me know if I need wine or not. If I do, to be honest, I think I am going to give up. WINE doesn't really have a mac 64 bit version as best I can tell...then again I am very new to mac...and I so far can just say that anything related to gaming at all...I hate mac about as much as you can possibly hate anything in the world. Its OK for other stuff...nobody should ever buy a mac if they like playing video games. Ever.

5. shiffd

shiffd Member

I installed crossover and used wine to install.
    When I try to open the program it says I need java runtime 1.6...

I have been to the oracle webpage and downloaded java approximately 6000 times (I might exaggerate a bit)...

What I am certain of is that it is simply not possible to download java. The program seems to either be unable to recognize java...or it is asking for an outdated version, and can't recognize the most recent java....this might also just be a WINE problem???

Man I hate MACS . Absolute garbage for gaming.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I can't help you with most of that (hopefully Agetian will come along), but I can tell you you should use Java 1.7 anyway. If you ever go to the modpack, you'll need 1.7 due to its size. 1.6 couldn't process over a certain size and would result in the dreaded "Invalid CEN Header" error.

7. shiffd

shiffd Member

unfortunately the mod pack is also giving me the same error, both kob and mod pack want 1.6, and apple/java site won't give me 1.6...I looked around and there is a way I can kinda manual install/force install 1.6...but I am very reluctant to do it. 1.6 is bad news for a lot of reasons....and also thanks for clarifying 1.6 won't work anyway (at least for mod pack)

Some kinda check error somewhere in the program either its the front end or its Crossover/wine. My gut is telling me its part of the front end though. Crossover wouldn't need java I don't think and nothing in its system req. said anything about java....even if it needed it, I am sure they would have updated by now..I hope. Probably just some kinda check in the front end that needs to be bypassed/changed to be able to recognize 1.7...

Also it might not be able to see/find/interact with java on a mac for some reason, even through wine.

8. shiffd

shiffd Member

OK so I tried on a windows machine, just for testing purposes. There was no issue on a windows machine. So either it is a wine issue, or its because the windows machine had 1.6 before installing 1.7, so maybe somehow the windows machine still has both? Probably just a wine issue/mac issue where the front end couldn't find/use java at all.

So I have to give up on playing on a mac for now and/or try a different version of wine. I was using crossover.

9. Gaear

Just FYI, I put in a word to Agetian that you're having an issue. Hopefully he'll look in soon - he's pretty busy now writing a thesis or something.

10. shiffd

shiffd Member

I am just playing on the windows machine for now...but having a mass of bugs...I thought KoB was standalone...Do I need Co8 mod pack as well? I'm just getting a bunch of bugs that remind me of vanilla.

11. Gaear

No, you don't need the modpack for KotB ... what kind of bugs?

[edit - disregard, I see you posted in the KotB forum. Thanks.]

12. Ank

Ank Established Member

As always one of the few java based apps i have manages to find some way to tick me off/waste my time so here's the late-ist headache :
    TFE-X shows no text on button or menu options (my current config : 3.15.x arch kernel and a JRE 1.7.x)
    Upon doing a bash TFE-X.sh I managed to narrow down the origin of my problem to this : 'Trying to set up native look and feel: choosing com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel...' giving ' Error parsing gtk-icon-sizes string: '' '
    It showed up after i got JRE-1.7.x didn't have this problem on JRE-1.6.x
    So my question(s?) here is how do i 'tell' TFE-X to start using the default cross platform look and feel since the native one doesn't seem to work OR how/where do i locate and edit the 'com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel' to give it a valid 'gtk-icon-sizes string'

If ther's anyone brave/masochist enough to put up with constant java hassles that has an answer to this particular mess please enlighten me as i'm fresh out ideas/patience (pls don't sugest a JRE downgrade as i'm but a few moments away from permanently using JRE 0.0 for the rest of my days :angry:)

13. tapek

tapek Member

I have a issue with TFE-X 4.6 - it spams directory with log and log locks files.
    I'm dev so sorry for that but I was curious what is wrong, so decompiled TFE-X (which is quite simple, it is java bytecode so JAD/JD-GUI does the job) and found a bug in logger class:

TFELogger class have a:
    FileHandler handler = new FileHandler("TFE-X.log");

But file is never closed, so lock will not be removed on System.exit(). I fixed this in my private hacked build of TFE-X 4.6 and PMed Agetian about the issue.

PS: I use Windows 8.1 and JRE/JDK 8.

EDIT: Upps, TFE-X is GPL and src is in main package :p I overlooked this. I will post a fixed src here.

EDIT: Attached my fixed build with modified sources (ie. log spam fix), also fixed most compiler reported warnings, and I think didn't broken anything :p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  14. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Thank you for your effort, Tapek!
    This appears to be a partial backwards incompatibility issue with JRE 8 and/or Windows 8(.1), auto-closing the logger handle upon exit is correctly handled in JRE 7 and at least on the previous generation Windows (7/Vista) and current generation Linux (e.g. Mint 16/17). Anyhow, can anyone please test the build posted above in the previously tested environments (in particular, running it on JRE 7 on older systems, e.g. Windows Vista and Windows 7, would be nice; I'll take care of testing it on JRE 7 on 64-bit Linux). If it works the same in all environments *and* fixes the issue on JRE 8 / Windows 8, I'll be happy to integrate it into a new official TFE-X build.

- Agetian

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Vista for the win! (Take that, you-know-who-you-are!)

Ag, for us amateur hackers, what precisely are we testing?

Our Host!