Fallout, Facebook, and the Evils of Social Media

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rocktoy, Sep 6, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Also, there is a very good application called "Do not track me" that will block a great deal of the information gathering and it also offers a few other worthy services like one use credit card numbers and filtered email IDs.

Here's a link; Do not track me.

2. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

And then there is the "tor browser", a lazy mans tool of the tor net: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

Anyway if you have been under the impression that I have advertised the music of the band Sabaton solely because I like their music or the songs they have made about the glorious dead of the North you have been mistaken: here is a song about a short man from Texas, someone called Audie Murphy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03X-FUKSdvw
    And no, I do not like Sabaton an sich. I detest all such bands, metal or no, who write songs about war and/or soldiers life, while none of the band members have actually served in any military. Sabaton is one of those. And I despise them specially because a friend of mine, a conscientious objector, is such a big fan of theirs. It just offends me as a soldier that someone who has never personally bothered to serve his country dares to revere songs that tells the tale of actual heroes. The fact that the singers of those songs are equal cowards, does not help.

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That is a standard issue with musicians, and, indeed, most entertainers (actors, comedians, talk show hosts, news media, etc.). They know almost nothing about whatever they are on about at the moment. Their skills lie in their chosen field: entertainment. :p

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

A test of honor when the brave defend the meek.

5. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Couldn't agree more Rocktoy. For me, I find the various talking heads in the media - who don't know the difference between an assault rifle and a water pistol & who think Hamas / ISIS are freedom fighters really frigg'n piss me off.

It's shame that, in the US anyway, the founding fathers didn't make a term of service a requirement to earn the right to vote ( worked for the ancient Greeks ) - we'd be a much different country.

6. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Your economy would have to support and equip an army of around 25 million.
    No way you could do that with out a massive tax hike.

7. Rocktoy

I was brought up as Lutheran and Master Luther taught that no profession nor field of work should be shunned or seen as unworthy, for all work that is done by god-fearing men is work that exalts the great maker. That there is no salvation in rudimentary prayer or penance, nor mundane acts of clemency, only by grace of the supreme can we be redeemed. This way of thinking seems to have stuck on me. If the entertainers do their "act" with pure heart, that should be enough and usually is, but when it comes to soldiers, my brothers, for some reason that rule no longer apply. In Sabaton I smell the reek falsehood, there are no soldiers left in Sweden. Only few semi-regular units and grounded Jas Gripens. They have outsourced their defense to the Norse (and thus NATO) and to Finland. Pitiful people. Shame on them.

Care to clarify? I did not understand your comment. Most likely fault is mine, since English is not my native tounge. Apologizes if this comment sounds stupid.

I respectfully disagree. Finland has the largest army in the North and I am not talking just the infantry reserve, we have the Leopards and we have the F-18 Hornets. And still we spend less money in defense per GDP than what is the NATO requirement. (One of the constant arguments why we shouldn't join NATO is the fact it would cost us more, both lives and money). All I am saying is that conscript army can be cheap and hell no, 25 million? How did you came up with that number? In Finland the population is 5 M and some 40 - 30k serve every year, while the standing army is 200 - 150k plus reserve.

Nevertheless back to music. I grew up under the impression that the British Death/Doom metal band Bolt Thrower was formed by two veterans. Alas the not so trustworthy Wikipedia disagrees with me. Anyway, they are the only band whose songs about war sounds real. Make up your minds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNjMOuO_fI
    The Falklands

8. Rocktoy

USMC = Nations 911

Btw.
    How come you once again failed to comment my promotion and my post about torbrowser, were those things so irrelevant?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  9. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

That number was roughly the number of people between 18 and 29 in the U.S.
    So if they all wanted to voted the armed forces would have to be around that size.
    While serving they would have to be housed, fed, clothed, ect. and presumably not be able to work.
    So the rest of the economy would have to support them.

Obviously some might choose to disenfranchise themselves and not all would serve at the same time but hopefully you can get my point.

Not sure why torbrowser merited a response other than it's love hate relationship with the Federal Authorities.

Here is some music by a soldier who served a combat commission.
    http://youtu.be/oofSnsGkops

Our Host!