Romag AWOL

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Horsesoldier, Feb 16, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Horsesoldier

Horsesoldier Member

8.0.1 and playing scorched earth i.e. no robes - just killing all. Finished Temple guards south of Romags room (they were the last - level cleared - except Romag & company) and whem I get to his room nobody is in it. I am getting the message "priest casts unknown spell" and so I tried glitterdust but nobody turns up. Searched a reasonable radius but nothing. I will try to console him in but what about his party? I want their stuff.

BTW what are the names of his cronies?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Try looking in the Earth Temple itself...

3. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Yeah, in one of my runs he wasn't in his "office" with the sub-cleric and 2 bugbears like he usually is. He was at the Earth Temple itself with a giant horde and would only let a few party members through a magic door each time to talk to him. I think the location of each temple's priest and how "on guard" they are depends on how peaceful you have been so far in the temple.

4. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Same thing just happened to me. When I got to his room, he was gone and so was his chest. Then I found him in the large room with two entrances barred. Through loading older saves I found out the relocation takes place during sleeping on the same level or leaving and reentering but I'm curious as to what triggers it in the first place. I don't remember doing anything differently from last playthrough. Normally I wouldn't mind having larger battle with him in the big room but if I ask for audience, I get stripped of most short buffs and my casters are completely surrounded with little hope of surviving and if I buff beforehand and smash the barrier the enemies start coming from already cleared corridors and rushing past my characters into the room which seems kinda awkward and there is still the matter of missing Romag's chest that doesn't seem to relocate along with him. In the end I decided to load older save where I still had some spells left and just went straight for his room. Anyway, would be nice to know whats actually going on here.

5. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

That is the re-active temple mod by sitra.

Which makes the reactions of the various temple factions a little more intelligent, when you start rampaging through their domains.

6. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Can I still get the content of his chest though along with his journal after he relocates? And if so, where from?

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The chest does relocate. The earth temple is pretty big. Make sure you check all the corners.

8. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Ok thanks, I will explore the area more thoroughly this time. Last time I just sent 1 character to the middle of the room after all hell broke loose and only saw the 4 large chests around the middle that have always been there but not Romag's. Still its kinda immersion breaking when third of the force stationed inside the temple gets magically teleported to the neighboring corridor behind your back once you smash the barrier...

[​IMG]

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Interesting... When I triggered this particular reactive temple, the few things that spawned outside the temple proper were much farther down the passageway.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Me, I just figure they're wizards and can teleport their troops to planned spots, they were prepared for us breaking down the barrier and setting off the ambush they planned. ;)

11. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's supposed to simulate them coming at you from the other entrance in order to flank you. After all, it would take you a while to smash such a barrier, and the noise could mask their movement...

Their spawn location does depend on your positioning, if you have someone down the corridor they'll spawn to the south of that (to simulate actual movement that doesn't just teleport past you).

Really, the point of this was to address the easy chokepoint you could establish in the entrance. Makes the fight less of a pushover, hopefully.

12. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

hmmm haven't thought of that. Maybe because I really thought it was a bug lol But I guess if I can teleport a party miles away, why couldn't they teleport one few meters. Nice little twist. I ended up webbing/stinking the inside and confusing the bunch in corridor with Zaxis, only then I had to chase them around entire temple floor. I wonder if anyone tried to make a stand during the audition. I guess it would be possible with some stoneskins but I didn't have money even for a single one after a crafting session which actually set this whole relocation thingo in motion. I was also curious about possible experience difference between reactive and non-reactive temple and I have to say I ended up with exactly same amount of experience in both cases (for non-crafters) so nice job from that standpoint as well. And Romag's chest did indeed relocate. :shy:

13. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Aye, one of the principles was to only reuse existing critters so as to not upset the XP progression, I'm glad to see it appreciated. Thankfully there are plenty of tough critters in the Earth Temple anyway, though the exact makeup of the reactive group depends on which ones you killed before it triggers. (e.g. if you want an easy fight, kill the Ogre Chief and the Large Earth Elemental first, before reactivity triggers; or just head straight for Romag to prevent the Temple from going reactive)

Our Host!