Insect swarms

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ihateregistering, May 1, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Well that's it for me folks... when its not one thing it's another... After returning from Moathouse I noticed the fps was suddenly really bad in Hommlet... first I thought it was the spike chain i bought, and it was in part, but main reason was huge swarms of butterflies that appeared all over the map... tried changing locations and this is what i get in Deklo grove (screenshot) I made clean instal (newest modpack and addon) and started new playthrough after Elmo got bugged in previous one as described in another thread by me, saving only outside combat and always in new slot. I'm definitely not starting another playthrough so unless there is fix for this, I'm done. I'm really trying here but the game is determined to screw me over at every turn. How could somebody release something so buggy is beyond me.

[​IMG]

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Wow, I've been playing this game on and off since 2003 and have yet to see a swarm.

Fascinating.

3. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

Now I'm not sure whether you are being sarcastic or serious. :sadblinky I recalled having the butterfly issue my very last full playthrough which was some 5 years ago so I barely remember anything from it let alone the details. Anyway, I reloaded save before traveling to Hommlet, got random encounter with gnolls and caravan which caused me to arrive in Hommlet during the night... no butterflies thank god! The bug hasn't reproduced yet but playing this game is like playing Russian roulette, it's only matter of time till you get screwed.

4. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Well, I never encountered this either, yet I've played this game since it came out. Granted, I've encountered many bugs, but due to this forum I either got my solution or learned what to avoid so as not to running into them.

Now, there's one thing which might be a reason why you have encountered this bug - I see your portraits are not the basic nor co8patch based ones. Every mod you attach to this game (barring the co8 patch) makes this game a lot more unstable. Also, using the console can have a major impact.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I was certainly being serious this time.

6. ihateregistering

ihateregistering Member

I don't think portraits have anything to do with it. I do use newest version of Portraits made easy from this site but these are just individual tga files for NPCs I created using various pics pulled from web and overwrote default ones with. Structure-wise they are identical to default ones so they shouldn't cause any problems.

7. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

Wow, I have never seen that either.

8. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I have NEVER seen that, since starting in 2003 and through 3 different computers.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a well-known thing (that you nonetheless rarely see) actually - just particle effects playing over and over. It's generally associated with a sector memory leak, according to Agetian.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I used to see it during one of the versions of the sign post in front of the Welcome Wench. That Is why I associated the sign post with Jerkstop.

11. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

> just particle effects playing over and over. It's generally associated with a sector memory > leak, according to Agetian.

You might try the following, based on the assumption that it is a memory leak in some graphics function -

1- Change video cards ( go from ATI to Nvidia or vis versa ).

2 - Ensure that you're using the newest STABLE video driver.

3 - Make sure you've set all of the video card's "tweaks" to default values. If there's an effect's option labeled something like "let game decide" you might try changing it.

4 - Install all of the DOT NET optional patches ( who knows, ya might get lucky - perhaps there's a driver that's dependent on a dot net library ).

5- The rest of my suggestions are really shots in the dark but are good for clearing up odd behavior:

Run Chkdsk. Restart in Safe Mode. Delete the contents of your hidden temp folder. ( Google is your friend ).

Make sure you don't have any dust bunnies living in the heat sink / cooling fan on the video card.

And for the love of all that's Holy do not ever physically touch any of the surface mounted components of the circuit boards in your computer. This includes the board on the underside of your hard drive. Handle these things by the edges of the card / sides of the drive. You can generate enough static electricity to damage them without ever feeling a shock. That level of damage can reduce the life span of your equipment and cause things like memory errors in RAM, hard drive problems, and other oddness.

If anyone needs a reliable RAM tester download a free copy of "memtest86" and let it run over night ( I've seen it take eight passes before finding a bad memory cell in RAM - I'm guessing the system may have needed to warm up to a certain temperature before the IC on the DIMM flaked out ).

Our Host!