Balor way too hard

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by newfie, Mar 19, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. newfie

newfie Member

I don't know if the Co8 modded this or not, but this fight is way too hard! I spent two whole days trying to beat this fight with 8 level 11 characters and it's obvious you need three mages or a wand of magic missiles to beat it. I wish I would have known this before I started the game or else I would have picked up the craft feats offered, but thought the game would be reasonably balanced despite not having this. The Balor does way too much damage if you get too close and if you stand back, you run out of spells to beat him unless you have aforementioned items or characters. This ruined the whole game for me. I will drop this game from my games list and look for a better rpg. I humbly request the Co8 look into this fight to balance the game a little better to prevent any new players from exercising the nearly 30 hours of frustration for one fight, or take the mentioned advice I gave regarding three mages or a wand of MM. I got the Balor down to 319 hp damage after a three hour grindfest with seven summoned earth elementals beating on him for a full hour, he was still going and I was out of options to hurt him. :thumbsdow

:angry: severely p****ed off.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

The Balor Guardian has 1 weakness: Holy weapons. If you arm all of the characters in your party with Holy weapons, then you shouldn't have too much difficulty defeating the Balor Guardian.

3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Try it again, but have your cleric prepare & cast a whole lot of "Protection vs evil", it will nullify his "fear" spells. Have your mage (or sorceror) prepped up with lots of "Cloud of ..." spells, some glitterdust spells, "Stoneskins", "Magic resistance" and "Magic missiles" for when you want to actually hurt him a bit.

Your fighters should be fully buffed, including magic resistance - otherwise he'll debuff them in a pinch. Most importantly, go & get yourself a Holy and/or Lawfull weapon for your main fighters. Terjon's lieutenant sells a Holy (radiant) mace, if I recall correctly.
    Also, it's better to activate a bit of power attack, otherwise your fighters will only chip away his health a few hitpoints at a time, which is not only frustrating, but also diminishes your chances of survival.

Yes, it is a tough fight, and you've got to prepare yourself for it... But don't give up on ToEE, the poor people of the Flaeness are counting on you ;)

4. newfie

newfie Member

Thanks for the tip about the seperate Protection vs Evil spells, nyarlathotep. It kept the fighters in the game with the fear protection! Yahoo!!! :thumbsup:

5. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

No problem :) I seldom use Protection vs. evil, but in the balor fight, it is a must.

6. Speeder

Speeder Member

I was assuming protection of evil did not worked, I never saw any difference, and stopped using it.

Also I suck at buffing people in general :/ (also amour spells stack with crazy heavy armour?)

I killed balor by using a ranger with outsider as favoured enemy (the ranger could chip balor health slowly, but consistantly), a rogue using a bow (did 0 damage to balor, but chipped away his stats with sneak attacks, thanks to ring of invisibility), a paladin with Melany-father sword buffed to +3, and the other characters (Elmo, Melany and a Cleric) getting rid of other enemies around the screen.

It was very hard, and I succeeded only on my third attempt. (that is when I figured where to position the characters, I did not changed anyone spells or equipment, only their position on the field before the battle started).

EDIT: Also everyone was level 9

7. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Protection of evil circle is broken. But the single version works fine

It was several years before I realised.

8. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

A Balor is a CR 20 critter. A group of lvl 8-11's in a halfway balanced game should be getting the snot beat out of them by a properly made and scripted Balor. >.>

Just sayin'

9. chano

chano Established Member

The reason that there are so many holy weapons in the game gotta be so that the balorfight is evened out a bit.
    With Scather and Holy greathammer and two neutral good fighters to wield them the fight is doable at level 11 if you buff with greater heroism and a few other beneficial spells.

10. Speeder

Speeder Member

This mean if you are playing a evil party, or a party without fighters... You are screwed.

11. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I had Elmo single handedly beat down the Baylor at level 10. Any non-evil fighter type class with scather, ring of inv, Ring of fire protection, potion of haste, potion of greater heroism, and power attack all the way up. Baylor was no contest. With the ring of inv, you can have your PC walk right up to him and then start conversation so you can be right next to him to get you full attack. With a NPC, you dont need to do that, as you can walk right up to them as long as a PC is not with in conversation range.

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I play evil parties- and have no more problem with the Balor than good parties. You simply need the right approach- and weapons (
    like the Frostbrand +3 that can be found in the Fire temple or the longsword+3 that the lamia has
    )....

13. chano

chano Established Member

I have got to try the balorfight without holystuff, never bothered because i thought it was impossible. but if gehennis can beat him then i guess i can too :)

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Thanks for the vote of confidence :). All my parties have 6 character: fighter type 1, fighter type 2, rogue, cleric, wizard, sorcerer (no NPC's) with either a druid and/or bard replacing the cleric and rogue respectively, depending on alignment. The first item I mentioned in my other post is a must for the main fighter as are certain spells I cast on him/her (
    mainly Enlarge Person, Haste, Stoneskin, Protection from Element (Fire) and Cat's Grace- and a potion of Greater Heroism helps. The same setup works well on Zuggtmoy
    . With the right spells and spell feats (and a great bit of luck) you can win this fight with 4 offensive spells
    Magic Missile, Stinking Cloud, Dismissal and Disintegration
    . If you craft items make sure to get to +3 for missile users and keep in mind the one thing the balor isn't immune to aside from holy damage (he gets DR vs this effect but not immunity) Good luck :thumbsup:

15. chano

chano Established Member

Thanks for the advice,, gonna give it a try starting today. gonna craft me some cool weapons.

Our Host!