Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gazra_1971, Mar 10, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I'm still using Windows XP, but I need to assemble a new computer soon so that I will be able to play new computer games. I've never used Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8. My only priority with an operating system is how well I am able to play new computer games for the PC with it.

Is Windows 7 or Windows 8 any better than the other for playing new computer games for the PC?

Are there any compatibility issues with being able to run any new computer games on either operating system?

Do computer games run any faster on either operating system?

In general, is either operating system better than the other? If so, why?

I am tempted to get Windows 8 because it is the newest Windows operating system, which makes me believe that I won't have to replace it with a newer operating system as soon as I would have to with Windows 7, but my understanding is that Windows 8 is an operating system designed for tablets (and smart phones?), whereas I will be assembling a desktop computer whose primary purpose is to be able to play new computer games as fast and as hassle-free as possible.

I would appreciate any advice on the matter.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You're right when you say that Win8 is designed for tablets and is based on touch screen use, it's almost as if your PC has become an iPad.

Win7 in my opinion is designed more like XP was, except that it's 64 bit which allows you to take advantage of more ram, (running 16 gigs myself).

In my opinion, Win7 premium smokes Win8 unless you really like to touch the monitor. Heh heh.

My wife has Win8 on her XPS18 all in one PC/tablet/laptop and it works great for her stuff as a school teacher and her games, the games she likes are angry birds and such, (phone games I call them).

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I found Win8 UI highly annoying. I'd stick with Win7.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

FWIW, the basic impression I've gathered from 8 is that it's a lot like Vista - a steaming pile of crap. I'd go with 7. It took XP what, 15 years to die? 7 will be around for a long time yet is my guess.

5. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Windows 8 is frustrating to use, in my limited experience, where as windows 7 works pretty much the same as XP, also I've heard that for gaming stick with 7.

6. Ank

Ank Established Member

I say go for Win 7 and dual boot it with a rolling linux distro u will be quite surprised to see that tons of w7 unfriendly games run flawless for a wine+playonlinux environment... also worth mentioning most incoming games will 'fall to formation' and offer a steam os( an by extension all its linux buddies) ready version; this is even truer for the kickstart-ed games(that actually stand a chance of being above average by actually reacting to gamers input instead of ignoring it in favor of cooking a halfassed hybrid system(tailor made for the 'elusive average joe') thats likely to enrage up to 3 different gaming genre's communities).
    All in all if nothing else by the time M$'s typical premature plug pull on w7's support u will have comfortably set up a dedicated linux gaming rig capable of giving u maxed out performance without the typical M$ bloatware slowing your system to a crawl and the periodical anti virus/spyware epic fails that end at best with a full hdd format or at worst with some flash bank account withdrawals of witch u will find out about the next day when the ATM 'barks' at you...

7. Wousides

Wousides Member

If you are using touch screen then i will suggest windows 8 as it is more convenient using it.

Our Host!