A little help, please.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Sep 2, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

Okay, so I was cleaning out my memory, because I have an older computer system and don't have that much hard drive memory. Along with other programs deleted to free up about 45 G of HD, I removed (uninstalled) the last few ToEE versions from my Programs and Features (Yes, running Vista) section.

I went back and downloaded 7.9NC and tried to run it. No dice. :-(

I get this error message "Could not detect a valid, compatible version of Temple of Elemental Evil in the current folder" on the top line and "Please make sure you're running ToEE Front-End from the root game folder and that the Atari 2 is installed, then try again" on the second line.

Sooo, thinking I may have removed the game itsself, somehow, I tried to reload it from my original game Install disk (I did not do a download from GoG, I bought it years ago) and I get this:
    "Would you like to play Temple of Elemental Evil at this time?" and if I say Yes I am prompetd to put in the Play Disc (No option to install the Game) and Full-Screen version of 7.8 NC pops up. Now I ALWAYS play Windowed mode, and there is NO Front-End utility popping up to give me any options and I know that 7.8NC as one of the versions uninstalled! Also, none of my Saved games from 7.8 NC work. they are corrupted on unable to find them (naturally)

Right-clicking and checking the Properties of Co8 Modpack gives me the Target of ""C:\Temple of Elemental Evil\TFE-X.exe"" and the Start in "C:\Temple of Elemental Evil"

There seems to be some discrepency there, but that could be the way it should be...

Does anyone have any ideas of where I went wrong, but more importantly how I can ficx this?

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

You could have saved yourself a lot of hassle by just deleting the old Circle of Eight Modpack 7.8.0 NC.tfm and earlier version .tfm files from your game's root folder because those .tfm files occupy the most space on your hard drive out of the older versions of the Co8 Modpack. Of course, you'd have to make sure that you didn't have any of those versions as the currently active module in TFE-X or it would stuff up your installation.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It sounds like your game is still installed, but you are missing Co8 modpacks.

First, forget about the play disk.

Second, according to your location data, you have ToEE installed to your C drive's root. Is that so? If so, you will also have to install any Co8 modpacks to that location. So I would reintsall the 7.9 modpack and make sure to point to the exact location where it's installed when the installer asks.

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

The sum of all the modpacks listed in the uninstall menu would have been SUBSTANTIALLY larger than the size of your Temple of Elemental Evil directory.

I have experience of this because I had to carefully account for disk space when the AVG toolbar log (a hidden file) started chomping its way through my free space.

I am sure I will be proved wrong but I am sure uninstalling 7.7.0 NC will remove vital components for 7.9.0 NC and that your quickest approach would be to completely uninstall all ToEE components and start again with your disks, patches e.t.c

5. Gaear

That's unlikely, as the only things the installer actually installs are the .tfm archive, the module's jpeg, and it's text file. It just unpacks them and puts them in your ToEE root directory where they can be accessed by TFE-X for activation. Deleting those files manually is probably much like running the uninstaller.

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

Gaear- this is where "Properties" puts my ToEE when I look it up through the Start bar.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Atari

I don't remember the ModDb site allowing me to choose a location the last couple of Modpacks that I updated with, but I will try again and look for a spot to plug that in.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

Unfortunately, that did not work.

I clicked the "Save as" option from ModDB and inserted that location AND also inserted it when the game installed (guess there was a spot all along) overwriting anything already in there. This didn't work, though.

I may try finding the original game and removing it, and everything I can find from ToEEFE and starting from scratch, but I am afraid my old disks may not work again for installing...

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

So, uninstalled TOEE and The Modpacks.

Deleted the entire Atari folder and then Defragged and DiskCleaned and also Advanced System Cared (a free cleaner and anti-virus package).

Rebooted.

Reinstalled ToEE from my discs (phew, they worked!).

Went to Gaear's installation steps in Morpheus's thread and installed Atari patch 1 and 2 (they went extremely fast- I thought I remembered them taking longer before...) and then ToEE 7.9 NC Modpack.

Let the components (game and Modpack) install in the default locations, always which is "C:\Temple of Elemental Evil"

Was happy to lunch thinking surely this will work.

Same error message: "Could not detect a valid, compatible version of Temple of Elemental Evil in the current folder" on the top line and "Please make sure you're running ToEE Front-End from the root game folder and that the Atari 2 is installed, then try again" on the second line.

:cry:

For the record, the FE utility does not open at all, just the error message.

Any and all help is welcomed and I hope I don't have to accept Gazra's answer!

If I restore who knows what I wil be putting on and whether it will work, but if no other answers are forthcoming, that is my next step, so thanks for that (extremely sensible) idea.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Have you tried turning your AV off just for testing purposes?

My old AV used to quarantine my TOEE.exe.

10. Gaear

The default location for the old CD version of the game was always C:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil.

Go to your ToEE directory, wherever it is, and see if there are files in it called 'Circle of Eight Modpack 7.9 NC.tfm etc.

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

This very well may have done the trick. I couldn't find that in the directory, but I still had a whole lot of older versions, most int he 5. something range. Anyhow, I just downloaded 7.9 NC again and I see a new looking Front End interface, with the options for Portrait Packs and such, and I am activating 7.9 NC right now!!! I am VERY happy and thanks to everyone who helped and offered advice, expecially YOU "Big G"!

On a side note, this may be an issue with the download at ModDB and not just my computer. These downloads were set to go to default locations that were not right. I had to change them to go to the right place. You may see this error again in the near future from other users, if they have the Discs.

Final note- everything, including running with the BG Portrait Pack seems to be running perfectly. An hour into play and everything is A-OK! It was the older location setting from having the box game.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  12. Gaear

That's why the installation instructions tell you to be sure to install to the directory where your game has actually been installed. :p

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

Gaear, and everyone else who chimed in, thanks for helping me with the last reinstall issue. I have a brand new machine, a nice one with eight 4 Ghz processors a terabyte of memory and 8G Ram (plan to upgrade that in the near future), but I am having install issues again with the disks. I did not buy from Gog, or anywhere else, so I have to install the core game from the disks.

This time the path is very different (it had (x86) or something like that in the name) and the Modpack 8 won't allow that as a destination name. I tried changing the name of the Root ToEE folder from the disks, but that didn't seem to work either, and then I tried copying all the files from the TFE file to the ToEE file and vice-versa trying to get a sync up, but it still gives me the "Could not detect a valid, compatible version of Temple of Elemental Evil in the current folder" on the top line and "Please make sure you're running ToEE Front-End from the root game folder and that the Atari 2 is installed, then try again" on the second line error message.

I may have FUBARed it all with the copying.

I am thinking about just deleting all files for everything related to Atari and trying again.

Is the game free at GoG, or does it come with the Modpack now?

If not, and I reinstall again from the disks, do you have any advise at all for me?

Thanks again to the assembled brainiacs here for all your knowledge and kind help!

14. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Windows 7 is a 64-bit operating system, 64-bit applications are installed in 'Program Files' while 32-bit applications are installed in 'Program Files (x86).' So you have to install the game at 'Program Files (x86)' as a default directory, since ToEE is a 32-bit application. Now regarding to your question, you have to run the 'Circle of Eight Modpack Installation File' as Administrator for file permissions. Also check the file size of the installation file, I'm betting you have an incomplete download of the co8 modpack (495.09mb), that's why your having that kind of error, I guessed? Or your having problems in installing the game due to improved security implemented in the WinOS (UAC), that's why you have to run the installation file as 'Administrator' so you can bypass and install the game in 'Program Files (x86), I believed? Do that also for patches and all. I'm not a user of Windows 7, just saw a glimpse of its security and how it works. Hope this helps.

Relevant thread to your problem.

Edit Do also a clean install of the ToEE game at my proposed directory. Then apply the patches v1 and v2, you should run it as an 'Administrator.' After the patches are installed, install now the 'Co8 Modpack Installation File' in the same directory, run as 'Administrator'.

Here's a solution for 'Invalid CEN Header.' I know you will encounter this problem, since Front-End is also designed in 64-bit, that's why you have to update your JRE/Java 64-bit, using the offline installer. Also, update your TFE-FrontEnd 4.0 to TFE-FrontEnd 4.6 for faster response.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  15. Sir_Cala

Sir_Cala Member

Please make sure you're running ToEE Front-End from the root game folder and that the Atari 2 is installed, then try again"

Hi I have run into this as well.

First I dont know what it means to run it Front-End never heard the term but i assume i need to move the mod pack into the Atari file.
    So when you do the circle of 8 mod pack it automatically places it in the C: drive.

So where do I need to move the mod pack to to be front end?

Atari file with mod packs is in Program Files(x86)
    while the circle of 8 modpack is in its own file titled Temple of Elemental Evil.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Our Host!