Top 15 annoyances in ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Sitra Achara, Sep 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

That certainly isn't RAW for D&D. Splash weapons should always trigger when used. Even if they don't hit directly they should still do minor damage to nearby enemies (if applicable).

On that note, it might have been nice to enforce the battle grid rules of D&D.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

O yeah, chasing the damn undead, and having them draw every other creature on the map into combat, that sux.

3. Holywhippet

Holywhippet Member

Best option is to prevent it. In the moathouse I found myselfin a battle with a lot of undead. But I had a sun domain cleric with the feat that improves turning power and I cast consecrate before turning undead. Boom, no more undead.

4. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

If that's in 8.0 I haven't played it yet as I'm waiting until Uni breaks for the year (nov) before l jump into that timesink ;)

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

It's not actually in 8.0 , but it should be rolled into the first update.

If you search you should find the thread he posted a link to it in, I just can't remember which one right now.

6. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Just rolling a one for your HPs on levelling up is a bit irritating! These days I just take what I get, but as a beginner I would reload and roll again if I got a 1 HP on level up.

On the thrown bottles - they definitely don't get used up either way still. If you hit you can collect them off the bodies. If you miss, you'll find them on the floor...

Chasing the Undead is an annoying one isn't it?! I've also found the endless Fear annoying in the past (where you can't do anything because you keep running away). Also the inaccurate area effect is a pain, especially on spike stones and mind fog, but I think my top 3 are, the not keeping hotkeys, the lying over movement, and the slow animation speeds, particularly sneak.

7. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Ah thanks.

Another item which doesn't work as it should by the rules: Minor Cloak of Displacement.
    This item should provide a continuous 20% miss chance (yes, the cheaper minor version of this item is better than the major version).

8. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Now a condensed list of my issues with the game...

1. THE WORST FIRST: No quick command to sell stuff or put stuff into a container which probably costs you several hours of dragging and dropping over the course of a game (or did I miss something?)
    2. Way too few spells above spell level 5
    3. Way too few monsters (Hey! It's called Dungeons & Dragons for a reason!), which makes the game boring later on and also impacts wildshape, animal companion and summon monster/nature's ally X selections
    4. Improved Grab (Ex) and Trip (Ex), as well as a lot of other essential abilities not implemented in the game
    5. Spell targeting: Where the circle shows that some creature should be affected but after casting the spell mysteriously is outside of the spells area of effect. You can't tell where exactly an already in play spell's effect begins/ends, too, which makes positioning really frustrating at times. Also, sometimes the wand-cursor doesn't show up or shows the crossed out version although the target is valid.
    6. Wayfinding and AI not using 5-foot-steps and other tactical superior options
    7. Uncontrollable animal companions
    8. The bug where you would get different XP from the same encounter on separate tries
    9. The bug where the enemies killed list suddenly shows the neutral evil thief from the back alley (neutral good opening vignette) about 20 times, overwriting other vanquished creatures
    10. Capped spells like greater magic weapon and consorts
    11. Too many pointless and too few interesting wondrous items and no worthwhile armour enchantments
    12. Magic items (e.g. Minor Cloak of Displacement and Monk's Belt) not working as they should
    13. Charging through difficult terrain (for some reason you can do this in ToEE.)
    14. No prestige classes
    15. No XP for not killing dudes

9. Borsook

Borsook Established Member

is this surely a bug and not the case of randomization?

10. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Indeed, forgot about number 1 - that is annoying isn't it!

To be honest I'm amazed at the variety, especially in summons. Like everyone, I'd love more, but I think there's a really good range of stuff in the game, especially since it never had expansions (apart from of course the Co8 stuff).

You know that Improved Trip is in the game right? I agree with you on spell targeting and the AI's lack of use of 5-foot step. Those would be good improvements to have too. Can't say the rest of your list bother me much (never really encountered those bugs either). I think some of the animation speeds probably bug me a lot more!

11. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

The metamagic bug which screws up that feat for your second class (in alphabetical order)

12. sirchet

You can right click on any item and it will automatically move to your inventory.

13. relic

relic Established Member

My No. 1 pet peeve:

Magic Missile is capped at only 5 missiles!!!!

14. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

You need to complain to Wizards of the Coast about that one - this is standard D&D 3.5 that I recall wasn't properly implemented in Atari original

15. sirchet

Yup, no matter how high level your magic user is, five missiles is the maximum as per the spell description.

Magic Missile

Our Host!