Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Borsook

Borsook Established Member

Thanks, but I'm not asking for endorsement, I'm just asking what has been changed that can go wrong?

2. Quirk

Quirk Member

Hmm, I did expose (talked to) the spy, though after I killed Amario and I did not yet confront Gremag with the fact, as I feared that this would make him angry so that I cannot finish the assassination missions. Didn't hire Raimol and did not expose the courier, yet.

Is it possible that when I kill Kenter Nevets and Terjon, that I trigger the other parts of the assassination mission, e.g. a reply from Gremag?
    Where would I have to look in the game files, if I maybe wanted to check it myself? And is it normal that the days in the log book are that weird?

Thanks in advance for your help Sitra!

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

The relevant file is

[toee main folder]\data\scr\py00061gremag.py

I think the format is pretty straightforward, it also includes comments.

And yes, it looks like merely exposing the spy overrides the assassination scripting.

As I said if you kill all three in one go before talking to Gremag then you will move along the quest chain in the same dialog, thus bypassing the problem.

Borsook -

suppose I said it's fine, but made a mistake or forgot something, and then you played the game and ran into a permanent crash that ruins your game. What then? If you promise not to complain in that case, I will answer to the best of my ability.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Or more simply ...

No. This information isn't exactly secret

and as such, you won't get any formal support from Co8 if you deviate from the requirements.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

The TFE-X text file is the one, it shows the processes and such.
    I too am running Win7 and right clicked on the TFE-X icon and chose always run as admin, although I do not run it in any compatibility mode.

Sorry about the file name, I swear I remembered it being called log, but meh ... getting old. ;)

6. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I just want to report that I just did the above procedure and installed and activated the Co8 Modpack 8.0.0 NC and tried running the game in Full Screen mode with Intros Enabled without inputting any mouse or keyboard commands after clicking on Play in the TFE-X and the game did not crash as the splash screen was about to display, and the game launched successfully, then I tried launching the game with the Intro Disabled and the game launched successfully, so the 'fix' works on my computer as well. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

Hi, I haven't played any version with the new vendors in Verbo. What I would like to know is if I still depend on Senshock (the guy from the last temple lvl you have to let escape) to get the real cool items. Actually he was the only reason to collect items and sell them in the later game so far.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Oleg Ben Loleg, you'll be pleased to know that there is a vendor in Simon's Wonder World (in Merchant's Row in Verbobonc) who not only sells ALL of the same items that Senshock sells as a vendor, but Simon also sells Greater Rings of <school of arcane magic> (which Senshock doesn't sell), and Simon refreshes his items for sale on what seems like a daily basis (whereas Senshock only refreshes his items for sale once a week (and sometimes Senshock seems to no longer refresh his items at all).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If I may, allow me to add this about the assassination quest: if you DON'T expose the courier or the spy you can spread out the attempts across several days instead of doing them all at once. Normally I'll have any evil alignment party kill Amario (after buying the masterwork items of course) and then adventure for a bit, kill Kenter Nevets and then wait until just before or after killing Zuggtmoy to go after Terjon. So far it has worked for me doing it that way...

10. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Given the current problems with the banking system worldwide, I no longer use a credit or debit card. I only keep enough money in the bank for 2 months bills. I have liquidated all other accounts. If you don't know what I am talking about google "cyprus hair cut" and understand that the chairman of the federal reserve has stated that such actions are under consideration here as well.

11. Borsook

Borsook Established Member

I know that if you really want to you can find problems, but - you could use a virtual credit card, or go to any bank and transfer those few dollars to a paypal account and pay with that. It is doable even with that strange bank phobia.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I use PayPal for all of my online purchases, mainly because they will let you dispute a purchase for up to 30 days and they insure all transactions.

13. caa

caa Member

Not sure if this is the right place or not.

I'm new to ToEE (the PC game, at least. I've dm'ed the PNP version many times over the years), and very new to the modpack. I downloaded the latest version from GoG yesterday, installed it to a non-Program Files directory, downloaded the latest modpack, installed it, activated it successfully.

I immediately was put into the shop, went through the vignette, and was dumped into Hommlet. Great. Went and found Brother Smyth, but could not get him to send me to Welkwood Bog. I've done other portions of the new content... aimii for example. I'm past that point now, and starting the moathouse.

I tried a number of things to get it going: reactivated the modpack, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, uninstalled the game and modpack, reinstalled, etc. Not sure if this is a bug, or something stupid that I'm doing?

Running Windows 7, admin profile, and run as admin for ToEE-X. Ideas?

14. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Did you ask Brother Smyth for something different? and then wade through the sequence that involves him telling you there are no whores in Hommlet?

After that you go to see Captain Renton - go back to where you entered Hommlet, turn right and enter LAST blue door on right

Speak to farmer and follow conversation pathway that starts with "I heard something interesting from Brother Smythe" or something similar - at the end of this you have the Welkwood Bog quest....

15. caa

caa Member

Right. Brother Smyth never gives the something different option. I got the masterwork quest, but I can't find any way to trigger the something different dialog. I just verified again:

1. I'd like to browse your wares
    2. Do you have time for more questions?
    3. I must go. Good day.

When choosing option 2:

1. Can I get a healing?
    2. I'd like to browse your wares.
    3. Good day to you.

Our Host!