Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Re: 7.9 Known Issues

OK then, if you don't mind: did Emryd(?) Meadows with a NE party and my druid went first and managed to charm the bear, I sent the enlarged fighter to engage the hill giant while the commanded skeletons rushed in for support and the skeleton crossbowmen opened fire. The charmed bear then proceeded to attack one of the commanded skeleton warriors.

I checked to see if this might have been because of a random undead appearing just as combat started with the giant and bear and sure enough there was one. I had my cleric Rebuke Undead next turn to take command of the skeleton but the bear continued attacking the commanded skeleton. By the time my characters (along with the 6-7 commanded undead) took down the hill giant the bear had started attacking my rogue so I killed it as well. I have to say that I've rarely tried charming the bear during this encounter and this is the only time that I've had it turn on me after being charmed.

2. willi23

willi23 katieevans

I do not know Gaear if this will matter to you. But I solved the problem by pressing the key ENTER just when the game starts. I think this is because of a video intro opening in the background or something.

3. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

've encountered this. Try disabling the movies and don't hit any keys until it loads and cycles through everything itself.

4. Legless

Legless Established Member

I found if pressing escape at the beginning, ie to get rid of wizards of the coast etc, it sometimes crashes.
    Also, if disable movies is used, so I press escape just as the move starts and it loads without ctd 9/10 times

5. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

I've also been experiencing frequent crashing of the game before it gets to the main menu (options, new game etc) since going from 7.6 to 7.9. Usually when it crashes I don't get to see anything (game intro turned off through TFX options) before the CTD however on one occasion it got stuck at the loading scripts stage and didn't progress any further for at least 30 minutes so I had to kill it. Just mentioning that in case it has any relevance. I usually have to keep trying until I can get to the main menu without crashing. Once that is done the game is very stable after that.

A less serious bug I encountered after reading Lareth's book is that Imeryds Run appeared on my map in addition to Nulb. I can't remember that ever happening before. I didn't go there until I spoke with Grud just in case it caused something to break.

On a brighter note, I'm not that far into it but have already seen a lot of the improvements in various parts of the game. I also love some of the new NPC portraits. Great work. Thanks.

6. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I found the crash on the intro was caused pretty consistantly by the screen resolution chosen, so you might want to check a change on that. I also had problems with two installs of Java.

I also had Imeryds Run turn up, but you can't actually travel there without the quest - not sure if you tried it?

7. tom

tom Established Member

I too get repeated crash to desktop on start up. when it does start it just sits in the middle of the screen - i am playing on a widescreen laptop nonetheless it seams overly small, if i use any of the larger screen resolutions the figures become too small

8. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

My resolution is the same as I've always used 1024 * 768.

On a different note, has the location of the skull changed? I just opened up Farilinth's 2nd chest but there was no skull there.

9. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Even so - I changed my resolution for 7.9 as it seemed to be sensitive to my old resolution setting, so you might want to give it a try and see if it helps.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Here's a funny quirk.

With 7.8NC I could run the game and started up every time, as long as I had the intro movie turned on, with it turned off I would hang at the initial selection screen.

With 7.9NC I can only run the game one time since starting my PC, if I exit the game and try to start it, it will crash when the intro movie starts to play.

If I re-start my PC it will once again run normally.

Yes, I have scaling turned off.

It's just weird that it runs normal, movies and all, once per computer start up.

11. Legless

Legless Established Member

have you checked your Task Manager? what else is running? (I'm probably trying to to my ganny to suck eggs, but it just a thought) p.s. sirchet, you are probably better looking than my granny, she's been dead for over thirty years. The good news is that she probably lost a lot of weight in the meantime;)

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Anybody suffering crashes at startup is almost certainly suffering some system issue, not a modpack issue. There was absolutely nothing changed in the main menu screen. (Not that any cosmetic change there would cause anything to fail anyway.) As was suggested above, I'd try experimenting with screen resolutions. (Being as those changed in the new front end, it could simply be that the non-universal state of supported resolutions on a system per system basis is becoming more apparent.)

The very nature of the movies/scaling issue is weird in itself - sometimes works best with movies disabled, sometimes without, etc., but again that's a system issue. Something in your system either likes or doesn't like the movie display; there's nothing actually 'wrong' with the movies.

13. Kapacha2089

Kapacha2089 Member

Re: 7.9 Known Issues - Accepting Missing Ranger Qst leading up to HB

Is anyone having CTD issues after accepting the Missing Ranger quest leading up to HB?
    After, I have accepted the Missing Ranger quest in a random encounter map and went to MAP to select Hickory Branch, the game immediately CTD! Do I need to change my resolution to 800 x 600, or completely restart the game? It has happened twice. I went back to my last save prior to the quest and attempted again, it went CTD.

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

A general question: in TOEE does Weapon Focus stack with a +3 weapon, giving you +4 to hit?

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yes, you can check the roll window for the details, it should say +1 weapon focus.

If you click on the "Hits (foes name)" it should show any and all bonuses and even lists the ones that don't stack with a comment of "Doesn't stack".

Our Host!