Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

My "pure" archers are Fighter/Rangers (10/10 by 20th level). That way, they get max BAB and favored enemy bonuses. Favored enemy only seems to work up to 10th level anyway, and 8th level Fighter is required for Greater Weapon Focus. When you're shooting Iuz, every extra plus to hit matters.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Nice idea- I'll have to give it a try with the NE party I'm doing now. Of my 2 fighters I've already split the dwarven fighter to a cleric of Hextor although my human fighter should have the stats to become a ranger- and St. Cuthbert is as deadly as Iuz so far as that goes...:)

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Actually, Favored Enemy works in this computer game all the way up to level 20 ranger. I tested a level 20 ranger back in June, and these were my findings:

Attached Files:

4. Gehennis

Playing a NE party now and my ? is this: is there another way to get Emridy Meadows mentioned aside from talking to Terjon (he seems a bit miffed that the NE party burned down his home church- don't see why he should hold that against them...:))?

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Talk to the wizard upstairs in the Welcome Wench and ask him to show you where it is on your map.

6. Gehennis

Thanks- I had thought of some of the other major NPC's but Spugnior slipped my mind...:thumbsup:

Edit: just checked Spugnoir doesn't mention Emridy Meadows but a NE party can still get that info from Terjon so long as they don't bully their way past Calmert and offer to help him find the lost artifact.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Just for thoroughness, these are indeed homebrew items I added. The Crossbow of Accuracy was meant to be something like +4 to hit but not to damage, but looking at the proto in KotB I haven't set that part up. The bludgeoning crossbow was meant to do bludgeoning damage (fire blunted arrows, ammo being 5090 and based on the light hammer) but I didn't go through with it, either because it didn't work, or because I just thought better of it (its the sort of thing that should require an EWP). Get rid of them by all means.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

7.9 Known Issues

There are a few issues with 7.9 that I was aware of prior to release (no showstoppers) or that were found out shortly after release that you should know about:

1. On certain Linux systems (e.g. OpenSUSE, certain types of setup of Arch, etc.), ToEE Front-End X v4.0 will fail to start the game - the front-end window will close but the game will never start. If you are experiencing this issue, please update ToEE Front-End X to the latest stable build (v4.1 or newer) from here.

The following issues currently have no solutions but we are actively working on resolving them:

1. In the character creation interface, you will see the new UI with blue 3D buttons etc. for stats. You will also see black text overlaid on top of these buttons as you create your character, which looks really bad. This was normal behavior in the vanilla UI, where there were just blank spaces where the buttons are. The reason this is popping up now is that I discovered very late in the dev cycle for 7.9 that for some reason the game doesn't like to have that text redacted, which is what I did initially to allow the new UI to display cleanly. We'll figure out a solution, so just please bear with it for now.

2. LN and CN alignments are not constrained within the bounding boxes in the first character creation screen.

3. Descriptive text overflows the bounding boxes on the party pool screen.

4. The wondrous item crafting interface still prints lines of text overtop each other for items with long names.

We are still looking for solutions to these things, which aren't as easily solved as you may think. If you want to report them, okay, but we already know about them.

9. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Re: 7.9 Known Issues

Barely noticed these. Thumbs up for the good work. Having fun, and the item description clean up in particular looks much better.

10. Legless

Legless Established Member

I've just started 7.9NC and I noticed like the mentioned known issues posted to Gaear, when in the Inventory Screen, tranferring stuff is now not as easy as the box overlaps the top of the character portraits, giving a smaller target to drag into. It's more a cosmetic thing, but I thought I should mention it.
    I also found that battle seem to be easier so far, I just cleared the moathouse and killed the EM giant at level 2. Is this because of a better stat translation? or because much of the NC doesn't happen till post Zuggy? I'm looking forward to the new improvements in 7.9nc and thank Gaear and his team for all their efforts in finding ways of improving this great game even further.

11. Gaear

I'm not really following you ... can you post a screen? The inventory screen is not any larger than it ever was.

Any appearance of change in difficulty for the normal game is purely incidental, as nothing has been altered (aside from the fact that you will level more slowly due to the expansions being gone). The only change you should see directly is with Hickory Branch, as it was overhauled to be much more difficult and suitable for higher levels. The only areas that have had the XP/CR modifications applied so far are HB and WotGS, and even when they get applied universally, they won't affect lower level stuff. It only kicks in if you're party level average is higher than level 10, and then only as appropriate.

12. Legless

Legless Established Member

Screenshot added.

It was mainly my ranged attacks that were far more effective, but it must just be luck, even lvl 1 my chars were hitting more than 50% of their targets

Attached Files:

13. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

Has combat been changed? I'm finding That in 7.9. I can move after I attack. Don't know if this is intentional or not, but it makes the tactical combat real easy.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

You could always move after making a single attack,

15. Gaear

Those are core mechanics that we couldn't change without complex .dll hackery. So no, nothing was changed. Do you have the feat that allows that?

@Legless, what resolution are you running the game at, and are you using windowed mode? What resolution/mode were you using previously when (presumably) this wasn't happening?

Our Host!