Which is the better option?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by georgelappies, Aug 1, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. georgelappies

georgelappies Member

I am newly starting the game, installed the GOG version and the latest CO8 patch with the new content via PlayOnLinux. All went well with the installation, and I am now looking forward to starting the game tonight :)

However, which of the following two parties would be the better option for a first time play through?

Party 1:
    Alignment->Lawful Evil
    Male Half-Orc Barbarian with 20 STR + 18 CON
    Male Dwarven Fighter with 18 STR + 20 CON
    Female Human Cleric with 18 WIS
    Female Halfling Rogue with 20 DEX
    Female Human Wizard with 18 INT + 18 CHAR (Will be the spokes person for the party)

Or

Party 2:
    Alignment->Neutral Good
    Male Dwarven Fighter with 18 STR + 20 CON
    Female Elvin Bard with 18 CHAR + 18 INT (Will be the spokes person for the party)
    Female Human Cleric with 18 WIS
    Female Halfling Rogue with 20 DEX
    Female Human Wizard with 18 INT

The other stats I will try to get as close to 12 in each stat is as possible.

Which one of these is the better option or is there some other even better stil combo :)

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

It all depends on you really but even with the NC there are more weapons in the game that favor a good/chaotic alignment, so if you don't want to do any arcane crafting that would be the way to go. Also keep in mind that since most of your foes will be CE/NE it might be a bit tougher to start playing an evil alignment the first time thru (this will particularly affect your cleric, where the chosen domains are greatly affected by the cleric's alignment). Just a question though- are you using the point buy method or just randomly rolling until you get the stats you want?

Two more thing- for your LE party, let your rogue be your spokesman since they have the most skill options (and points to add to those skills). You'd be better off giving that second 18 to your wizard's Dex than Charisma- bugbears love to target wizards :). And for your dwarven fighter I'd suggest at least 1 or 2 levels of barbarian- the Fast Movement feat will increase their movement (which is a good thing) and they get Uncanny Dodge at 2nd level. Good luck and enjoy the game! :thumbsup:

3. georgelappies

georgelappies Member

Great, thanks for the reply. I will start of with a CG / NG party then as what you are saying regarding the cleric makes sense.

I was planning on making a large cup of coffee (maybe two) and stiiting tonight for the first few hours rolling them characters :) Should not take that long hopefully to get decent stats. Part of the fun on RPG's is character creation for me.

Good idea about a few barbarian levels for Dwarf, start him of as a Fighter then do the second and third level as a Barbarian or is it better the other way around?

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

First level fighter gets a feat at character creation.

Btw, I too really like rolling up characters. :nerd:

5. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

Make your Cleric Lawful Good with Law and Good Domain then give him Create Magic Items feat. Use him to make Holy+Axiomatic weapons then you're good to go buttkicking for goodness.

Anyway I suggest the following party:
    Male Human Fighter: Extra feat though you don't get extra strength stats bonus like, say, if you had chosen a Half-Orc. But at least he's not 'fighters are dumb' cliche. Hehe. Plus Weapon Expertise Feat if he has at least 13 INT. Something a Half-Orc is hard to get.
    Female Human Rogue: Bow expert. Give her some Fighter levels if you want to get extra attack. Cast Improved Invisibility on her or use Dust of Disapperance, then she can Sneak Attack every round.
    Male Human Bard
    Male/Female Elven Wizard: Spell Focus Enchantment
    Male Halfling Ranger: Dual wield, favoured enemy: Goblinoid. Cat animal companion. Throw in some Barbarian levels if you want.
    Male Dwarven Cleric: Benefit from extra CON at the expense of less powerful Turn Undead

I assure you this party can even kick some Lich's bone-ass. *hint hint* :p

Edit: You need to change the max number of PC in TOEE Front-End X to 6. Oh, and by "Cast Improved Invisibility" I meant "Cast Greater Invisibility". Just been back playing Baldur's Gate again lately.. hehe

6. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

well, if you know the stats you want there is a method to shortcut all the rolls, by a combination of point buying and rolling - you can copy point buy numbers and drop them into the roll slots by guessing roughly where they are on the screen. Probably best to look it up in YouTube if you are interested in specific stats and want to save time.

Personally I also really enjoy rolling up characters, which is why I replace anyone who dies with a new character, so I can get through quite a few in a game.

7. georgelappies

georgelappies Member

Thanks for the hint about using rolling and point buy together. That sure saved some time!

Thanks everybody else for the info ;)

Our Host!