Wish list for version 8 ?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Jul 25, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Is it too early to start a wish list for version 8?

I'm hoping for a Lanhkmar esk invasion of giant and wear rats from those nice shiny sewers. :)

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Ooooooooh ... and a beholder controlling them from somewhere deep deep in the sewers!

Btw tom, you're showing your age by talking about AD&D adventures from circa 1985. :p

3. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

A wider variety of recruitable NPCs. The ability to find the "super weapons" for those who want to use them. To be able to toggle between off/def for the Druid's AC( loved the def. postureing, to bad its being taken out). More powerful random encounters for higher level parties ( ala 5.0 I still will load this game once in a while just to fight the "sea of ogre's, and the tribe's of ettan's/giant's").

4. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

I don't even know what wererats look like. Sooo retro.:p...And what the heck is a Lanhkmar?

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Lahnkmar is a city that a very special adventurer, at least to us old folks, used to frequent.

Yes, I'm speaking of the Grey Mouser. :)

6. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

I would like to see a working vorpal sword, and maybe a couple of cursed items. Also, like was mentioned earlier, I think the random encounters should be based on your level to make it worthwhile. Maybe also, like the random encounter of adventurers, There should be a random encounter of High level evil adventurers with nice/cursed items late in the game, almost like the robin encounter but a truly evil party and more powerful. :thumbsup:

7. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

More high level spells... especially for Druids. Since their high level spell list is pretty... lacking.

I would totally love to see Fire Storm, Greater Shout and Wail of the Banshee at least. Incendiary Cloud IIRC was implemented once but had several bugs forcing its removal =(

8. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

:yes:

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

That may be a bridge too far. By the time you're "high level", you've probably already handled the Slavers and the WotGS (in that order, no less). As Gaear has pointed out in the past, level 20 is as high as the engine will go, and the AI can't compete with a human.

10. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Ya, something similar to the traders, but random, so you cant buff your guys up. With out buffing and positioning your guys on the traders, they would be difficult. Now a random group of level 20 evil adventurers with some unique items and high level spells (that they actually use) would be difficult. Like an evil level 20 monk that can move 90' would be devastating on spell casters. You know, stuff you dont see or encounter any where else in the game.

11. tom

tom Established Member

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser are two heroes created by Fritz Lieber (although in practice they are not always that heroic). Lankhmar is the city where they spend much of their time. It is also the city that Terry prachetts Ankh-Morpork is based on / ripped off from. Although he does acknowledge this. In pratchetts first book a very thinly disguised fafhard and mouser are watching the city burn and arguing over which building had just exploded.

Fritz lieber can seem a little dated now but the stories are fun. They were originally written for magazines and but were later collect in the “Swords” series of books.
    Get hold of them you are in for a treat.

Retro? Dude I played D & D using copies of the combat tables from white dwarf issue 13 - before the dmg came out. I'm old school and Hard Core . :biggergri

12. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

Whilst I'd love new content like the rest of you ( a big hydra in a swamp for one), I think I'd really like to see some modifications to what's already there to help replayability or iron out the last frustrations:

• Increased animation speed for arrows, bolts, snakes, air elementals, etc.
    • Randomisation of some encounters that are not core theme (carrion crawlers, minotaur, mix undead up, oozes, etc).
    • Randomisation of some treasure drops and containers - particularly the 'known' key drops - so frostbrand might be a frostspear sometimes, or Thrommel gives an alternative to Scather.
    • Extension/variation in some of the Hommlet and Nulb quests - responses not always the same for every action, so almost parallel versions each time you play.
    • Some key encounters after level 10 have much reduced xp rewards by moving some of their challenge to prebuffs, potions or items they don't drop, in exchange for character levels. In particular in the War of the Golden Skull.

I love the game, and I worry that once 8.0 is done I'll get bored. Keeping some unexpected elements improves the replayability.

Our Host!