Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Have just finished the CE alignment and this is the outcome based on the choices I made. The party was 12th level with a Bard 12, Fighter 12, Barbarian 2/Cleric 10, Cleric 12, Wizard 12 and Sorcerer 12. Ordinarily I hate dealing with the bugbears on the 3rd level of the temple but thanks to my bard's use of the wand of Tasha's Hideous Laughter and fascinate ability they were easy to deal with. My thanks to whomever it was that mentioned the usefulness of Phantasmal Killer- liberal use of it has made certain combats SO much easier :yes:. And now the summary of the finale:

Things pretty much followed the LG scenario until Zuggtmoy appears and your response is "You are Zuggtmoy, the demoness lady of fungi!" A new response appeared for my CE party: "But we have a common cause Zuggtmoy, the destruction of goodness! Let us join forces!". The rest of the responses were the same as with the LG party.

Zuggy responds: "Yes, you would make an excellant replacement for Hedrack".
    1. "Hedrack was easily crushed beneath my boot. Others who displease you will soon follow."

Zuggy: "Do you give yourself to me willingly?" etc.
    1. "Yes Zuggtmoy. I will serve you."
    2. "No I will not submit. We should be equals."

I took choice #2.

Zuggy: "You think you are my equal?"

Combat ensues after Zuggy summons a glazbru(?). Reduce her to 20 HP before she speaks.
    Zuggy: "Stop mortal! You have power that I did not imagine!"
    Responses were:
    1- "Submit to me Zuggtmoy! Become my follower and do as I command!"
    2- "You expect mercy? What do you offer for quarter?"
    3- "No, foul demon! You shall have no mercy, just as you have shown none to all of your victims!"

I choose 1 of course :thumbsup:

Zuggy: Zuggtmoy bows head. I submit to you. I will follow and obey."
    1. "Excellent Zuggtmoy. Now let's show the world what evil can really do!"

CE ending plays (I should say for the record that my party killed Prince Thrommel, Lareth, Tolub, Rentch and Wat and all of the temple clerics and their followers and only have Terjon to kill to finish that particular quest. They have been a particularly nasty- and busy- group. :p).

I'm going to reload from the save just before meeting Zuggy and properly can her kiester so that I can do the Verbononc content with them. One of the things I've definitely cut back on is the crafting- not too helpful making unholy weapons when you're fighting primarily evil creatures so I've stuck to the basic +1 enhancement with Shock for this party so far...only 3 more alignments to replay- think I'll do NG next and leave NE and TN for v7.9...

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: Resurrection NPC

He should not have that dialog after moving to his hide out.

Did you let him join your group after returning his armor and backpack?

3. Belcanzor

Belcanzor Member

No, party full and I believe I can recruit him later. But I think find him always tied like in prison is a bit odd or wrong, not sure the right english word here :p
    Looking other NPC with my new party I see is a common problem the dialogs that still after you complete a task.
    No complains, the gnome is not worth the trouble. Just asking if there is a fix with console, if no fix, is ok anyway. For me, game and mod works nice, remind me play Darksun a lot, a good roleplay pc game is a rare thing.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Sounds like a flag didn't get set when you spoke with him while returning his equipment.

When you gave him his equipment from the near bye room did he go on about his missing crossbow and scroll?

5. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Not sure if this is a known bug, but I will quickly bring it up here. If you have dual classed into two spontaneous casters (ie. Bard and Sorcerer) they seem to minus off castings from each other.
    Basically if my sorcerer/Bard has 6/6 1st level spells left and 2/2 1st level bard spells and I cast a sorcerer spell for 5/6 and then a bard spell for 1/2 left then another bard spell it tells me I am out of available spells even though I still have and it still shows 1 left. I can continue to cast 1st level sorcerer spells until I get to 1/6 then it says you have no available spells left. Basically they seem to share available slots. This does not happen with a single class or multi with a non-spontaneous caster like a Cleric or Wizard so just seems to be the Bard/Sorcerer combo where if you cast a spell from one class it minuses off the other classes total amount as well even though the radial dial still shows the proper amount left.

6. Gehennis

Something like this has occured before but I'm afraid I can't recall the thread it was discussed in- I think a solution for it was found though...

7. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

Thanks for the reply, if its been fixed cool may just be this current game I am playing now causing issues, not the end of the world just kind of annoying when you cast cure light wounds as your 1st bard spell of the day and latter want to use Tashas Laughter on a baddy and can't because you cast mage armor earlier as a sorcerer spell.

8. Gehennis

Quick question- this seems to have been discussed before but how do you remove a dead NPC from your party if you don't want to resurrect them?

9. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Can you see a question mark in the dead npc's character portrait?

Click on question mark and answer "Yes" to question do you want to dispose of this npc permanently. Beware I think npc may be ejected as unraisable cadaver.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Re: St. Cuthbert, the module doesn't really distinguish PC alignment for when St. Cuthbert shows in response to the Iuz appearance, or explain why or why not. It does indicate a chance for Cuthbert to appear for good parties specifically if Iuz appears under a different scenario that does not feature in the CRPG (something about being in a room and uttering Iuz's name).

I would imagine that Cuthbert would like to see the Temple felled, regardless of who does it. :shrug:

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I'm playing through the WotGS in version 7.8, and though there's no jerk stop, there's some serious lag (in excess of 20 seconds). Is anyone else seeing that?

EDIT: It seems to be worse when moving (non-combat) or panning near one of the attack sites. The explosions in particular seem to be related.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  12. Gehennis

Not sure who posted this before but I've also run into the issue of a character's movement dropping to 10 ft. in the v7.8 modpack. Not sure what caused it but since it's my front line warrior she's usually the one to get Enlarged and Cat's Grace. Visited Jaroo for a spell permanency fix and that seems to have solved the problem...

13. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I get a bit of lag around the castle in Hommlet, but mostly it's fine.

14. Gehennis

Just finished the NG alignment with a party of 12th level characters (wizard became 13th level after the combat). The rogue, ranger, cleric, wizard and sorcerer were all human; the druid was elven. Since this was more of a finesse group the crafting was focused on missile weapons, with all of them being at least +l and the ranger, druid and rogue having holy crated to their missile weapons as well. Using Empowered Spell for the sorcerer I came to realize that if you move the Empowered spells are in red- they can only be used if you haven't moved (something I wasn't aware of). Fragarach was used in the fight against the balor guardian and Zuggy and the skull was destroyed. Here's the breakdown:

The parley options are pretty much the same as for the LG alignment in regards to speaking with the hag and after Zuggtmoy reveals herself. She responds with the "You think you are my equal!" lines and attacks, summoning 1 vrock this time. Reduced her to 44 HP's before she spoke again with the "Stop mortal! You have powers that I did not imagine!" line.

This time though, you only get 2 options:
    1- "You expect mercy? What do you offer for quarter?" and
    2- "No, foul demon! You shall have no mercy, just as you have shown none to all of your victims!"

Chose #2 and finished her off along with the vrock. Spells in effect were Bless, Haste, Mass Cat's Grace, Mass Bear's Endurance (thanks to the druid), Heroes' Feast, and Prayer. Had Enlarge Person on the ranger and Righteous Might for the cleric. took the gem hoard, went to Nulb to learn 7th level spells for the wizard and went to Verbobonc.

This is it for the moment- I'll be away visiting friends for a while- by the time I get back v.7.9 should be out. I'll download that along with the front-end gold v.4 and finish off the replay of the alignments with the NE alignment next and finally the LN alignment....

15. Gehennis

Having CTD trying to start the NE alignment (can't get out of the shop). I've heard that too many saved games will cause this- I have 15 saved. Is it time to delete some and trust that they can be restored by using the Restore Saves function?

Our Host!