A bunch of question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ghfdhd, May 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Can you find Thrommel in Verbonc after he says he is going there after you rescue him?

Has anyone tested to see if freedom of movement does not help a character with foot injuries from stone growth? I would test it myself but I can't get the console to work (probably because I'm running XP service pack 2 with dx 9.0c). I'm under the impression that it won't and that people think it shouldn't (a wounded or encumbered character isn't having his movement restricted by something external)

Not a question but I ust thought I'd point out that characters with zero or less strength can still move, fight, carry stuff, e.t.c. According to the SRD they should no longer be able to exert physical force at all. Most likely the other 0 stat conditions are not in play. Of course, in regular D&D you probably can't bring down a stat to zero, thus reducing people and creatures to mere objects and that kind of thing :D.

Seems insignificant but I thought I'd point it out anyway. (good chance this stuff doesn't apply to stuff that at one point had the stats in question above zero anyway)

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

You won't find Prince Thrommel is Verbobonc because he goes back to Chendl

What sort of keyboard do you use US or UK?

3. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''~'' button is near the top left corner, just left of ''1'' and under ''esc''

Latest co8 (installed ToEE then patch then patch 2 then installed and activated co8 with front end)
    No e-home infrared drivers in my list.
    Windows XP. dx 9.0x
    Tried pressing and holding shift and ~ multiple times. No problem with console in other games.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Freedom of movement fixes MAGICAL effects that slow or hinder the character.

5. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

Thank you very much for the answer sirchet. If only I could get the damn console to work. Guess I may well ask if using spells with the evil descriptor causes the user to become evil. ''Evil'' should probably only be applied to sentient creatures.It seems A bit silly when it is decided that poison or a spell or some such is ''evil''.

6. sirchet

Poison has been traditionally associated with evil, or at least "evil intentions".

7. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

that's a common misconception which stems from the paladin's code of conduct which includes that they are not allowed to use poison. using poison itself is not evil. killing innocents with poison is evil, killing hendrak with poison is not.

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

While perhaps not evil, I think it would certainly be considered dishonorable- which would mean that a paladin shouldn't do it...

9. sirchet

I think we may be confusing ethics and morality with gaming rules and design.

I believe the use of poison, which can prove rather powerful, was limited to evil characters in order to add to the over all playability of an evil PC.

As often seen in DnD, most campaigns are set up for good, or at least semi-good PCs.

10. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I also think there is some tradtional fantasy elements that came into play when the 1st edition rules came out as well. Remeber the Assassain PC Class they were the only ones that could use poison then, if I remeber correctly and they had to be evil alignment. If you think about tradtional fantasy from snow white, to Tolkien to C.S. Lewis Poison was always the weapon of evil..so I believe that carried over to D&D.
    Just look at the Greyhawk Gods there is no good God with a Poision portfolio.
    I like the way 3rd Edition is set up..where poison can be used by all, but is still unhonarable for Paladins. Way I see it Paladins face down their foe in the middle of the street at high noon, not shoot them in the back at the card table. Thats for thugs and cowards (at least in thier eyes).
    Where a NG Fighter may not normally use poison, but would probly not have a problem using for his advantage to Kill the Ogre in the cave with a poison blade since it for the overall good of ridding the country side of its evil presence, and thats the Goal that counts to him.
    And a CG Ranger, I don't think would have any issue using poison tipped arrows to defend their forest.
    Guess thats how I look at it so I kinda like it not being restricted to evil; but still deeply frowned upon to unthinkable, for that LG Paladin.

11. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

when str reaches zero, a char can still move around nnormally, but that changes once battle begins. At that point, the character is immobilised and has an empy action bar.

12. ghfdhd

ghfdhd Member

''when str reaches zero, a char can still move around nnormally, but that changes once battle begins. At that point, the character is immobilised and has an empy action bar.''

Ah, silly me, I hadn't noticed that.

Thanks Nyarlathotep!

Personally the alignment system makes little sense to me. Clearly, we can't properly place all people into the 9 D&D categories. I'm sure we can easily find many shortcomings of the system and many examples where it breaks down. I think it's obvious to all of us that it is a very simplistic system.

It definitely seems to me that nearly everyone interprets the alignment system differently and that's probably because it's kind of nonsense to begin with and so everybody takes their wild guess at what they think was intended.

The alignment system could be said to add flavor and it is true that there are many cases where their is little disagreement. For example, nearly everybody can agree that Lord Villainous the infamous and sadistic rapist murderer is a bad guy. In these cases the alignment system probably does a decent job.

As a gaming mechanic the alignment stuff is debatable. It's another element to consider when min/maxing but it is not necessarily to the benefit of the system to chuck in any and everything. Some would argue that it's an arbitrary and detrimental thing to add.

When it comes to roleplaying it can often get in the way.For example people are unable to play a noble assassin. Some people would say that some of its restrictions prevent things that they deem silly such as a good blackguard.

Personally, I don't think I'd be upset if the alignment system were thrown out

Anywayyy... Not to throw a wrench into the discussion that has started here but I just thought I'd remind everyone that I'm looking to get the console working so if anyone has an idea... Please do feel free to discuss other things though I'm happy that a discussion is going on.

edit:

edit2: TWF does not seem to affect unarmed characters. Should it?

edit3: I see that the game does not consider empty hands to be weapons at all. You can't have an unarmed attack as part of your two weapon fighting attack.

Well, happy that at least freedom of movement works in a sensible fashion instead of ridiculously letting wounded heavily encumbered people move around like they weren't wounded and heavily encumbered.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  13. Pygmy

I am running XP with Direct-X 9.0 as well - I assume you had to install Microsoft .NET 2.0 in order to get the front end working at all.

I know you don't have to prime the console because I've only just re-installed ToEE from scratch on a new drive partition. [a file called Toolbar-log.txt or somesuch which is associated with the AVG toolbar has been gobbling up my poor hard drive].

Interestingly I am in the UK using a UK keyboard, I use the shift key and the key in the SAME POSITION as the tilde key to bring up the console.

That key has a right-angle in the top left hand corner and judging by the position of the tilde key on my keyboard may be to the left of the bottom of the return key

Perhaps, clutching straws you could try shift + that key?

I think your best bet is to try systematically shift and all the non-alphanumeric keys on your keyboard.

14. sirchet

Is there a file that enables/disables the console?

I know that in some games you must go to the game ini file and add a line like console=1 to enable it.

I wonder if TOEE has a similar file.

15. Pygmy

Failing above perhaps you could uninstall everything and try again just in case Patch 2 (that is apparently essential for the console didn't take properly)

Our Host!