Co8 New Content: Hickory Branch

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm sure Ted is speaking in terms of practicality. The blockage was not put there to be another opponent, but to give the impression that events have developed during your absence. e.g., Hungous and crew had one of the ogres move the blockage there or whatever as a measure to keep you out. As long as the player figures out that it can be destroyed, its destruction is inevitable, so adding damage reduction would just prolong the inevitable and, I dare say, cause the predicted infuriation. ;)

It would be kind of like putting a second stone behind the first. Players would just groan and say "Okay, I Get. The. Picture."

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I think the stone should be trapped, it IS there because they KNOW you're coming. ;)

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thought the stone WAS a trap, to keep out grave-robbers and archaeologists, but it had already been triggered.

It could have been worse - it could have been a snake. I hate snakes.

4. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

When the Orc gives his speech he calls the party "foolish cretans".
    Should that be an insult and be the french cretain?
    Or a reference to the minoan, cretan culture because of the Minotaur?
    Or simply a typo?

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Sounds like a typo. I'm sure they meant "cretins".

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Imbeciles, Morons, Idiots, (deleted), etc. It's all good. ;)

7. Doggy the Goblin

Doggy the Goblin Member

I think it is a damage reduction other than temp HP, i.e., stoneskin with a lv 10 caster.

Fiendish template gives you DR/magic, not /-. Apparently this guy got his own DR/magic, since I've seen a "0 damage" without stoneskin.

I tried to charm it and then rest. When engaged into battle again, he did not cast it again.

Have anyone tried to dominate him to find out whether it is a "renewable" spell like ability?

Or we need to find a way to kill him on sight in the first round (hold monster/ghoul touch plus CDG), and then check the loot. If there's a potion, that will do the trick.

8. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

it's been a REAL long time since i did this, but i believe i was able to dominate the Minotaur using the Lamia spell-like effect to charm (the 'toy' you discover in the brackish water near Nulb). He was permanently in my party after that. I can't recall if he cast the Stoneskin spell again, but i do know he seemed to be impossible to remove from the party. even when he died, his carcass followed me around, and was not removable since he does not take up a character slot... So tread carefully with dominating him ... as he would make your party not able to go to any civilized areas like Hommlett, etc. as the Minotaur incites rage and panic in the villagers. They go hostile on sight.

IIRC he did finally disappear (his carcass) when i slept in a safe area.

He DID make for an entertaining ally in the TOEE though. :)

9. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

hahahahahaha! Awesome :thumbsup:

10. Gaear

Coming soon to Hickory Branch ...

• a redesigned map with higher resolution textures!
    • a new layout, featuring wards and other distinct areas!
    • tougher monsters!
    • more danger!

HB will be less of a wilderness area where there happens to be monsters and more of a bivouacking site used for organized raids and an HQ for laying their evil plans. They are led by the Axis of Evil - Iran, Iraq, and North Korea! Um, I mean, Lord Hungous, the Minotaur, and a shadowy third power broker whose identity has yet to be seen. Expect greater regimentation and better tactics, as these guys and gals are the real deal set to unleash hell upon the region to fill the void left by the fall of the Temple, not just raid a few caravans. :nervous:

I'll post some new HB screens soon. :evilgrin:

11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I shall pick up the Gauntlet of your challenge- and be careful not to shoot the food or potions...:) (BTW- will this be moved to post-Zuggy or remain pre-Verbobonnoc(?)?).

12. sirchet

Oh God ... will they make the slavers seem weak.

*Rubs hands together briskly in anticipation*

13. Gaear

All the major NC expansions except Welkwood Bog and Arena of Heroes will be post-Zugg by the time v8 comes around. Welkwood Bog exists to be a replacement for Hommlet fedexing, and AoH is just in too much of a sweet spot to tamper with, we have decided ultimately. The hope and expectation is that the added XP from AoH will not amount to a significant XP bulge and will somewhat mitigate the potential for higher levels at earlier stages for those who are closer to the 'hard' end of the ToEE spectrum.

14. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

So instead of being 12th level by the time they reach Zuggs the heroes should be around 11th- sounds fair to me, as it means I'll have to learn new strategies and maybe take a look at different feats and spells...(Interesting- very interesting indeed...):)

15. sirchet

Have you tried her at level 10?

Man, she's a tough cookie with a four man party at level 10.

Our Host!