AoH Stinking Cloud

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by relic, Jan 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. relic

relic Established Member

I'm playing 7.6.0 NC. During the AoH last battle w/ the undead, one of the wizards casts Stinking Cloud. All my characters who were originally in the area of affect had to make save throws even after they had left the cloud. They made their initial saves and left the cloud, but, as I said, they had to continually make saves for the entire battle even when they were outside the cloud. I'm not sure if this is a battle issue or more a spell bug.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: Battles With Issues

Stinking cloud forces you to make a save for 1d4+1 rounds after you leave the cloud.

Here's what the SRD says;

Stinking cloud creates a bank of fog like that created by fog cloud, except that the vapors are nauseating. Living creatures in the cloud become nauseated. This condition lasts as long as the creature is in the cloud and for 1d4+1 rounds after it leaves. (Roll separately for each nauseated character.) Any creature that succeeds on its save but remains in the cloud must continue to save each round on your turn.

Where they still rolling saves on the sixth round after they left the cloud?

3. relic

relic Established Member

Sirchet,

Hmmm...I'm not sure. I was thinking if you made your initial save you didn't have to make more. Is there any spell or whatever that can negate the Stinking Cloud affect?

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Thanks Gaear, I was out of range then and you can stop scratching your head now. :p

Relic, in PnP Gust of wind would clear the area, but alas ... This is a cRPG and it doesn't work that way.

Me, I just try to keep my main damage dealers split up so only one is in the cloud when it's cast.

5. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

There was another spell that cleared those, but I can't remember what it was... But, you should still be able to Dispel the Cloud spells, right?

6. Legless

Legless Established Member

wouln't that depend on the level and degree of spell penentration of the caster and the dispelee?
    I have never had success in dispelling them:sadblinky
    But once it is dispelled, the people affected would still be affected for a further 5 rounds anyway, so its a bit of a waste of dispel magic. All you have to do is move out of the cloud.

Maybe they can't be dispelled in toee. I use it in combination with web and l8r I add cloudkill to disable and weaken/kill whole groups of nasties and they have never been countered in this game yet.

7. tom

tom Established Member

This could be read that you have to save each round you are in the cloud.

A fail means that you are affected for as long as you remain in the cloud plus 1d4+1 rounds after. But! a save means that you are unaffected and if you leave the cloud that round you do not have to save agin.

This would be my interpretation.

8. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Necklace of Adaptation grants immunity but unsure if that works retroactively or not.

9. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Twisty
    A Necklace of Adaption is supposed to give you immunity to Stinking Cloud. Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way in ToEE. In ToEE, a Necklace of Adaption gives you immunity to Cloudkill..... Once . After that it's totally useless.
    The Royal Canadian

10. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

The most effective way with dealing with that stinking cloud, is to make sure it doesn't happen. If you're lucky, one of your spellcasters has a highre initiative. If that's the case, you can drag him in the initiative bar right before the (black) mage, then set him to "wait for spell". The black mage will be chanting his stinking cloud, but you'll get a chance to first hit him with whathever you want. I usually hit him with magic missiles, which does enough damage for him to loose his concentration & thus the spell will fizzle.

You could offcourse try with an other spell (things like web might work) but that concentration check he'll have to beat will be lower as a damaging spell. Damage has the big advantage that his check will be 10 + the damage taken.
    Even though magic missiles don't do that much damage, a 5th lvl mage has 3 missiles, that's a 3d4 +3 damage potential... so effectively he's looking at a concentration DC of 25 when you're lucky. In my experience, it has always worked :thumbsup:

When you're trapped in the cloud anyhow, then I've always noticed that the duration of the spell has always been 5 rounds. I think ToEE has rather used the spellcaster lvl for duration as opposed to a diceroll - my mages which know how to use that spell can fire off pretty damn longlasting stinking clouds.

11. Legless

Legless Established Member

If you get the higher initiative, cast web so it covers from where the last party of undead appear to also include the eastern undead spellcaster. That way they can't use magic as they are using up their actions to attempt to escape the web and don't have enough points left to cast spells. It also holds those nasty undead giants for a round or two. Next round use ice storm as it doesn't destroy the web. When I use a Druid, I don't have a Cleric so the turning/destoying undead option isn't available. Its possible to win this fight at level 5 without loosing anyone if your initiative is high enough.

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

The Improved Initiative feat should be in all characters possession as going first is almost always best. Cast either Fireball or Silence 15' Radius back to back. One thing to remember is that travel to the AoH is instantaneous so put your buffs up before reading the book- Haste + Enlarge is a real wizard killer, as is Improved Turning- this battle will be over shortly if you go first...

13. JamesTheScot

JamesTheScot Member

The condition (being nauseated) should last for 2-5 rounds after leaving the cloud. Each victim gets a separate duration roll.

The only way a target that makes the initial save should have to re-save, as the OP is claims his PC's did, is if the target STAYS in the cloud.

Targets that save and then exit the cloud should not be at risk thereafter according to my reading.

14. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Anyone know if the scarab vs poisons, or antidote help with stinking cloud?
    For some reason, AoOp work when nauseated, which has caught me out a few times..

15. Al Ronnfeldt

Al Ronnfeldt Member

I had a different experience with Stinking Cloud. I cast Stinking Cloud on enemy mages a couple of times to keep them from casting. But, despite this, they cast at me every round. Either they have one hell of a fortitude save, or there is a bug where their spells are not disrupted. Remember, they should not even get a concentration check and they have to save every round they're in the cloud.

Our Host!