I used to be an adventurer like you until I took an arrow to the knee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gazra_1971, Jan 5, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

An arrow to the knee

I was playing the computer game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim the other day, and as my character was travelling up a flight of stairs at the town of Whiterun, a town guard coming down the stairs said to my character "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee." as he passed me. Up until this happened, I had believed that the origins of this line of dialogue were from a YouTube fantasy parody animated video. I'd be very interested to know the actual origin of this line of dialogue if anybody knows.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

As far as I know it's straight vanilla Skyrim.

Some of the parodies are very funny though.

I like the cartoon where the guy starts raving about how little an arrow to the knee is compared to what the dragonborn goes through every ten minutes.

And YES, that's where I stole the line from for the guard in Verbobonc.

I was just playing a fan made adventure for Skyrim and you get to be a pirate and wear pirate clothes and go ARGH MATEY!

OK, no argh matey, but lots of fun though. :)

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

First place I heard it was Skyrim.

"Let me guess. Someone stole your sweetroll."

4. sirchet

I get a kick when a level two guard says to my level 80 Dragonborn, "Disrespect the law and you disrespect me".

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

NPC quotes in Skyrim & funny moment in the game

"I'll kill you if I have to!" - Lydia (your housecarl from Whiterun)

For me, one of the most unexpected moments in the computer game Skyrim so far was when my character was fighting an opponent in melee, and then my housecarl Lydia who was meant to be firing arrows at our mutual adversary accidentally lodged an arrow into my character's neck! I could actually see the arrow sticking out of the side of my character's neck! Talk about "friendly fire"!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  6. sirchet

I recommend doing as many side quests for the smaller towns as you can stand, you'll discover some new shouts and maybe even impress an Orc enough to pass the word to the Orc compounds that you're OK and should be admitted into their circle of Orcy Melee Goodness .... And well made gear. ;)

If you want to have a follower or two and enjoyed the way FNV handled followers look into UFO, a mod that makes your followers more controllable and offers a few new followers.

7. silo25

silo25 Established Member

every freaking time you post i fall for that, clicking on the "don't go alone... take this"

8. GuardianAngel82

Is there a better follower than Lydia? Thoughts?

9. sirchet

The follower I take depends on what I' doing and how I'm going to approach it.

Lydia is great for an all around battle buddy, she's good at so many things, but sometimes I like to take the ugly girl you have to beat down to get because she's deadly with a two-hander.

@silo25, so you have met Sir Purrsalot then?

10. GuardianAngel82

Yeah. She makes a good tank. I llke to play a stealth archer, so she keeps stuff off of me while I kill it.

I don't like anyone who kills rapidly as it keeps your character from leveling.

Ditto, summoners, as the junk they summon screws up the view. Though I can shoot it, and get experience while getting it out of the way.

11. sirchet

Do you run many mods GA?

I have about 50 that are must have in my opinion and others that I'll use for a while then move on. ;)

12. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I played the first 30 levels of my stealth archer completely solo. It's very much do-able, if you take the right Perks, and are good enough. Like being a military sniper, you find a good place to hide, wait patiently for the moment to strike, then cover your tracks while you get out of dodge. ;) Or, in this case, wait until you have two or three enemies together, snipe one while the others are looking away, and then take out the last two while they're hovering, confused, over the lifeless corpse of their fallen ally.

13. sirchet

Yes, if you're playing an evil character there is a mod called Dark Brotherhood Extended that adds a little more to the series of quests and gives you two more companions to have if you want them.

One of the companions is named Stabby and he is just hilarious, his one liners always crack me up ... "Two out of three healers recommend stabbing someone at least once a day" is one of his mutterings if you get close enough to hear him.

14. GuardianAngel82

I've got about 18 mods running. The ones I like are the follower fixes. Which mods would you recommend that are not frm steam?

15. sirchet

I think Steam does an OK job with their "Workshop" mods, but I don't like the way it updates every mod every time you start Skyrim.

The Skyrim Nexus is in my opinion a far greater resource for mods.

Especially with the Nexus Mod Manager that all you do is click on the "Download with Manager" button and it installs the mod for you, all you have to do is put a check in the box to "activate" the mod.

The Mod Manager makes it very simple to remove a mod and all of it's components too, just one click and everything gets cleaned up.

The Mod Manager never deletes a vanilla file, it always stores it under a different name and returns it back when you de-activate a mod.

Now my favorite mods;

1. UFO ... Ultimate Follower Overhaul
    2. CBBE with Physics ... Chery Hotiling's Much improved skin textures.
    3. Quality World Map ... Better map with all the roads showing
    4. Enhanced Blood Textures ... It's a bloody job using a sword and this shows it.
    5. Skyrim Galaxy ... Beautiful night skys.
    6. Dragon Remains ... The dragons still look like dragons after you kill them.
    7. Pirates of The Pacific ... Be a Pirate in a very well done adventure ARGH!
    8. MoMod ... A must have because of the many many lore fitting monsters it adds and scales to your level, not to mention it's very well done almost professional.

OK, that's a start ... there are many more I recommend but we'll leave that for you to discover. :)

Our Host!